Will Lewis quit & who is available to replace him ? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Will Lewis quit & who is available to replace him ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by greyboxer, Dec 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Actually listen to his commentary. Crofty is a Hamilton fanboy. Brundle isn't.

2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I don’t remember Brundle saying Max should have bailed out of the lead going into Copse, though. Did you?

Also, another F1 racer and, unlike Brundle, a champion no less, Jenson Button—probably at the risk of getting his head bit off by the rabid pro-HAM Sky crew—rightly pointed out that HAM missed the apex. So in other words, in his impatience to pass Max, screwed up the corner and crashed into Max.

3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro

Think Rene or Gilles was crying about “dangerous driving”? :)

635CSI, Jakuzzi, jpalmito and 3 others like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So his opinion holds less value than Randy ****ing Pobst? Whose career is dazzled with wins in prestigious cars such as the Mazda Miata and Honda Civic?

Cherry pick all you like.

The argument here is some are blaming Max entirely for copse, and using Randy's argument as their ammo.

With hindsight, should Max have given the room, given that he held a sizeable lead in the championship? Of course.

Should Lewis have taken a better line in order not to coliide with Max? Yes (so long his aim was to not collide). As the overtaking driver, it's up to Lewis to get it done safely. He failed to do so. He missed the apex, hit Max, and still went wide over the exit that he went off track completely. There is no argument.

The only argument there truly is should Max have bailed, and the only answer is that if he had a crystal bowl, he would've. He left enough of a gap initially and Lewis didn't take it.

But lets be clear here. If this was a racing incident, so was Monza. But that's not what you lot are arguing...

SimCity3, stavura, Nortonious and 2 others like this.
  5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Dig long enough and so is just about anyone.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What about the topic of this thread: who could replace Hamilton if he decides to leave F1 before the season starts?

Stoffel Van Doorne and Nick de Vries are in the Mercedes stable and could qualify for a Superlicense perhaps.

There are not many drivers available now than most seats have been attributed and the contracts signed.

Hulkenberg again? Toto Wolff could have a headache finding a replacement at short notice.

Each day passing makes Hamilton's departure more plausible.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Game, Set & Match!

(Data also showed that Max entered Copse faster than he had done all weekend, even though he had a car full of fuel.)

Terra likes this.
  8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's actually what I've been doing. Listen to Brundle and that made it fairly clear that he is Crofty's lapdog.

Crofty is not just a fanboy. He is the High Priest at the Hamilton altar. The guy has lost all perspective and sense for what a sports reporter should be doing. For him Hamilton is God and the only thing that matters, short of the Lord Russell. Even when Lewis is doing just fine leading a race Crofty artificially creates drama over what might happen to his hero and what cruel fate could snatch a certain and deserved victory from him. Crofty is insane.

Brundle is a step down and more rationale, I give you that. In fact he occasionally steps away from the company line. But for the most part he is a member of the Hamilton fan club.

I get it that a British TV station is primarily rooting for British drivers. Maybe I just have too high of expectations of what journalists should be doing. Taking no side for instance would go a long way. But quite frankly even Swiss Blick F1 reporting legend Roger Benoit is a Hamilton fanboy and against Max. Dunno why and it makes zero sense.

BTW: Not everybody of the Sky crew has that much bias. The Indian dude is fairly ok and so is Jenson Button for the most part. It's not impossible to not take sides.

Jeronimo GTO, Bas, stavura and 3 others like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    :rolleyes:

Max is not the one who lost control turning into the corner. But since you’re throwing useless data around, how much faster—on the wrong line—was HAM?

10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    … and did HAM get sucked into (or surprised) by Max’s speed into the corner and went in faster than he could cope with such that he ran wide and collected Max? The evidence of him being off line supports that.

So, Game, Set & Match? ;)

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Media has devolved into a polarization formula (has it?), where choosing sides=higher ratings. For every fan praising the BBC coverage, you have those who despise it still watching just to get triggered. Unfortunately, they are right also. Without subjective telecasting and creating 'story', sports aren't as compelling. This doesn't necessarily apply to F1 purists, who are more about race craft, driving brilliance and Ferrari (plus the other teams), but again I will say Liberty doesn't care as much about those of us who classify as such. They want the new viewers, and face it, divisiveness, spite, hate, whatever you want to call it, sells to that class of viewers.

As much as the season ended in a dramatic (understatement) fashion, I'm betting those ratings look even higher for the first race, despite so many Hamilton supporters stating they will not watch. Of course, this assumes that Hamilton will return. If he doesn't, then if will screw up the whole drama that was created for the Netflix crowd.

Count me as one who sees little chance of Hamilton not returning. Unfortunately, this scenario invites suspicion of a 'payback' season and behind-the-scenes enticements to make it happen. I hope not, but this season was a case of performance bowing to entertainment.

'What a tangled web we weave...'

Terra and tifosi12 like this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The biggest problem I have with certain Sky presenters (notably Crofty, Damon and that turbotwat Will Buxton) is that they are the de-facto presenters world wide, not just in their home country. It's of course inevitable that presenters show some favouritism, be it because they're from their home country or just like them, but those 3 just go overboard (well 2 really, but I throw Buxton in purely because he's a penis).

I do think on balance Martin Brundle most than often calls it right. And what I really like about his style of commentating, he's still a racer inside...he calls it as he sees it immediately, as from a drivers perspective. I rarely disagree with him.

As for those watching because they despise the presenters...I don't think this is the case. It's more a case that there simply isn't an alternative way to watch. It is true for other programs though, notably Top Gear...people literally sit down with their phone in their hand and complain about anything they can!

14. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I'd classify many of us on here as more of F1 purists, so the current broadcasting strategy misses the mark. It is designed with an element of contrived point/counterpoint that pushes the buttons of those who like that stuff though.

I find it a bit insulting, but I look at things critically.

Picchu88, Bas and Terra like this.
  15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Bas likes this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Absolutely agree with yyou RE the trash that LM is getting involved in

17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Interestingly Damon stated that RB won the last race by being proactive under the safety car.

Surprising as he normally has a Ham bias

Jeronimo GTO, jpalmito and Bas like this.
  18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I bet given the exact situation happening again, MAX would still try to close the door after the cows went to pasture.

surfwolf and ricksb like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’d say he is or seems fair… brindle that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

375+ likes this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The door was never closed to begin with.

Jeronimo GTO and ingegnere like this.
  21. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Best thing about Ham/Max fighting, 100% chance of fireworks, 50% chance of tears.

22. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    If Hamilton does decide to stay I want him to say to hell with this and get his elbows out more with Verstappen.

It's not like he hasn't got that in him but too many times in recent years he hasn't been at the races when defending in battles, maybe he's spent too many years at the front but he must do better.

23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

George is racy and will now sit in the other "magic carpet"

Fingers crossed there are no off-the-record team orders and we can witness a fair fight

jpalmito and tifosi12 like this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

SO for all the insults Bottas takes here about not defending LOL..............................

My take is Mercedes are absolutely looking for the cars to finish rather than be eliminated by accidents. So.........all the talk about Bottas and we now say LH does not defend well either.

25. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    He doesn't anymore, I mean how many times as he defending the inside half hearted and left a gap for a driver to sneak by, he does this infuriating move quite often.

How many times as Verstappen made that error, again, he's had it too easy at the front, he was never this poor in his early days.