So, Carlos S believes... | FerrariChat

So, Carlos S believes...

Discussion in 'F1' started by ricksb, Dec 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    crinoid likes this.
  2. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Carlos certainly looked like he had more than a handful with Max in their short time as teammates.

What's sets Max and Lewis apart are their consistency, sure on weekends they might be beatable, doing so over a season is not so easy.

I claimed months ago that Sainz was giving Leclerc all he could handle, I proved to be right.

ricksb likes this.
  3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know that you'll get many current racing drivers -- especially ones like Sainz who may be looking for a new team in not too long -- to admit that they aren't a match for someone else on the grid.

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What sets Max and Lewis apart over the current F1 drivers is not just their outright pace, which is a little better than others, but their ability to keep this pace up for the whole weekend, including the race. THAT is what makes the difference.

Max isn't half a second a lap quicker than Gasly/Albon/Perez/Ricciardo. Give any of them a car they absolutely love and they'll all post very similar times. Max is capable of getting the maximum out of any car, however, a skill rarely seen.

When Max and Sainz where teammates, Carlos had 5 seasons of car racing already under his belt, and nearly 200 races. Max had 1 season of car racing and not even a quarter of those races. Max was at or above Sainz' level already even then, especially seen in wet races where Max was just leagues ahead. Obviously Carlos Sr would say something to make his son appear on nearly same level as the two current best. I do agree with him, over a single lap right now Sainz/Leclerc and some others aren't *that* far off Max/Lewis. Over a full season, and every session? I have my doubts. You can still be world champion without those skills, all it requires is either a bit of luck or just a much quicker car.

SimCity3, ricksb and jpalmito like this.
  6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    For me and I know I have said it many times, any F! team has huge difficulty in servicing two "top" racing drivers, its actually impossible. At Ferrari and hopefully next year, Binotto will have to decide which horse to back. Going with two will split the team, finances and moreover development of the car, choose the inconsistent driver who has taken the car in the wrong direction because of his personal preferences will yield zero results.

LH / MV in the same team - total disaster for the team..

Look at Red Bull and the millions of $$££ spent, thousands man hours to get MV over the line by the skin of their teeth + Masi's hand of god. Red Bull actually had the best No1 / No2 driver combo of the season. Perez won the championship for MV and his compliance with team orders.

SF need a Perez,

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Concur. It's not just the speed. Any of these drivers can go all out (like VB) and post a great time that equals or beats those two. Ask him to do it for a whole race, it get's a bit tougher. Ask him to do it for an entire season, and it's damned near impossible.

I think Carlos is a fast racer...probably in that second tier with Ocon, Gasly, Norris, etc. I still feel that Leclerc is 'just' slightly behind Max/Lewis, but I'd say that he would hold his own in equal equipment. Good reference point on Max v Carlos. I think we all forget it was a 17 yo "rookie" competing against an experienced Sainz.

If I'm being honest, I think Max intimidates/bullies every driver not named Lewis though. Not to rip on VB, but any time he was on pole, I automatically knew he would concede to Max...not because he was being a 'good teammate', it's because he was scared to battle him. Leclerc has shown a willingness to dice/defend vs Max, but again, I don't remember any driver challenging/passing Max on track except for Hamilton

SimCity3, Terra, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The Dale Ernhardt of F1.

9. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Agreed.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    On 2021 form, it would be difficult for Ferrari to choose who's going to be their Number One in future, IMO.

ricksb likes this.
  11. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Here is all you need to know about such claims.

Bottas in one of the fastest cars on the grid. Racecraft absolutely matters.

https://streamable.com/411cz0

william likes this.
  12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It will be a difficult choice for Binotto, imo it should be Sainz. He has more experience. Two No1's will be a disaster imo

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #13 william, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Making Sainz Number One would be hard to justify, IMO. Leclerc seems to show more potential overall.

In his career, Leclerc won 2 GPs, 13 podiums, obtained 9 poles, and 4 fastest laps ;

Sainz has only 6 podiums and 1 fastest lap to his name.

But I know Sainz finished 2 places ahead of Leclerc in the 2021 WDC, and drivers aren't judged only on past results.

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, it would be hard to justify.

It's not a choice I would like to make, either decision will be criticized if it goes wrong. I wouldnt have put myself in that position, signing Sainz was a mistake with Leclerc in the team. Both are looking for No1 status and only a team like Mercedes in its current form could get close to doing that. History has shown every team that has tried it has failed, McLaren came close with Prost / Senna

Stats dont really count as the two drivers have had differing machinery under them so its not a totally fair comparison. For me Leclerc doesnt quite have the muscle to get the job done, Sainz for me is the better driver with wider elbows. A better car may suit leclerc, who knows, but it would be good for F! if SF hit the heights again

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The top drivers always end up in the top cars.

Carlos and Charles need to worry less about how pretty they are and be more concerned with,
    you know, actually making Ferrari a winner again.

BHW

16. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    I've always had the feeling that the Mercedes is poor in traffic and with heavy tanks, maybe it's just Bottas but I can't remember him being especially poor during his time at Williams.

17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    No, that's Ferrari's job. Leclerc and Sainz need a good car, good tire strat calls and a good pit crew.

375+ and william like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If Ferrari don't give a competitive car and strong support to the good pair of drivers they have, it's pointless talking about preferential order, etc ...

jcurry, jgonzalesm6 and jpalmito like this.
  19. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Sainz is the better of the two drivers in my opinion. His racecraft is better than Charles, mostly because he learned from a master at a very young age. I think Jos has helped Max’s head, and CSS has helped Junior in the same way. Charles is quick, but Carlos the more complete package.

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  20. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    One thing for sure.....they ain't Senna. Any of them. Top cars/Top Drivers.....past tense. Diluted competition based upon "fairness" gives the current results in F1. None match to past racing greats for one reason...no car is a standout that pushes a driver to their absolute limits. Until the rules change, expect more of the same. F1 is now political musical chairs.

21. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you don't believe you're the best on the grid, you've already lost...

ricksb likes this.
  22. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Hopefully he had a flat tire or something! That's an indictment if I've ever seen one, otherwise.

23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Sainz has out-performed Charles this year. Charles out-performed Vettel the year before. Both are very talented drivers. If anyone remembers the Ferrari years of Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn, this could become that kind of partnership of equals. And I think that would be great for the team and the sport.

Jeronimo GTO, 375+ and william like this.
  24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Greatest teammate ever

Jeronimo GTO and jpalmito like this.
  25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Max has some similarities with Senna.

Hamilton is Senna's biggest fan.