Motorcycle Safety | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Motorcycle Safety

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Mar 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I got thrown off my snowmobile and as my buddy said 'I slid down the trail like a hockey puck' but did eventually come to a stop and don't feel that I gained any speed as I was sliding.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #52 Rifledriver, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Well I commuted in the Bay Area rain or shine on a scooter, and a long commute too. While I prefer no cars being around them doesn't bother me.

To me the number one safety rule is never ride without a Mark 1A brain in use. I see riders every Fn day riding like "Hey....what could go wrong?". I am not a timid or ultra conservative rider. Not riding as fast as when I was on sport bikes but I like to think that other than a few youthful short lapses I never rode stupid and not a day goes buy when I do not witness some of that. Being good isn't enough. Having world class skills isn't going to keep you from getting hurt or killed.

Rule 2. Don't drink. I like good bourbon, and a number of other things too but I will not have a drink and ride.

donv and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    NYC Fred, rob and Texas Forever like this.
  4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    When I had my motorcycle accident they kept asking me if I had used any drugs or drunk any alcohol that day and the answer was no and I asked them why they keep asking me this over and over and the reply was you would be the first rider we have had here this weekend that was sober.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Guy I bought one of my motorcycles from called it his "Bar hopper". One of his motorcycles was dedicated to the cause. When I ride through the rural parts of the hill country there are a few very popular MC hangouts. Every one is a bar.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dumb. The only real safety device for a motorcycle are your eyes and that mush between your ears. One ounce of alcohol is enough to get you killed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

donv likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Glad you're okay.

8. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I can't tell you how often I'm behind a bike at a red light, see the light change and watch the rider shift into gear to pull away.
    Seriously?

That's how you get whacked.

In gear, clutch in, watch your mirrors and have your escape route in mind every time. Rant off.

PhilB and Texas Forever like this.
  9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thats a high alert mode....but in todays world...The right way!

10. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is specific to Western North Carolina and the Blue Ridge specifically but again, another motorcycle doesn't make a turn. I tracked them last year but the large majority of accidents were like this one.

"A 42-year-old motorcycle rider died after veering off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, officials said.

The man reportedly was traveling south “at a high rate of speed” when he “failed to negotiate a curve.” That’s when he traveled across the center line and went off the north side of the road on Saturday, June 18, the National Park Service said".

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Most newbies freeze. They don’t realize how far a modern motorcycle can lean and not crash. Well, except for a big Harley.

boxerman and BoulderFCar like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    See how many mistakes you can find.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/santa-rosa/2022/08/07/santa-rosa-county-motorcycle-crash-leaves-one-serious-condition/10262023002/

A Santa Rosa County crash involving three motorcycles and a pedestrian left one person in serious condition on Sunday afternoon.
    Florida Highway Patrol responded to the crash around noon Sunday at Red Road Road and Sandy Landing Road in Santa Rosa County.
    A motorcycle, driven by a 33-year-old Milton man, was traveling west on Red Road Road, just west of Sandy Landing Circle when he lost control of his bike and collided with a ditch, according to an FHP release.

A pedestrian, a 43-year-old Gulf Breeze man, crossing the roadway went to aid with the crash when two other motorcycles who were behind the first, approached the pedestrian.

One of the motorcycles, driven by a 42-year-old Navarre man, then crashed into the pedestrian, according to the report.

The third motorcyclist, driven by a 52-year-old Orlando man, attempted to avoid the previous two collisions and collided with a utility pole.

All parties involved in the crash were transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    3 people riding motorcycles who should stick to cars.
    I pedestrian who has no situational awareness and should stay at home.

Did I get it right Dale?

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yup. But you missed the bonus point for pointing out why the third guy hit a light pole. Answer, because he was looking at it.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I considered saying that but felt it diminished the humor.

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The third motorcyclist is blameless. The pedestrian blocked his view of the utility pole. Then once he was able to see it, he swerved but the pole was in his path.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Another biker dies because a car turned left in front of him. This is the number one cause of death for motorcyclists. If you're going to ride, YOU MUST LEARN HOW TO COUNTERSTEER. If you're going to ride a big heavy Harley, YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY LEARN HOW TO COUNTERSTEER. It looks like this guy almost made it. Almost only counts in horseshoes. You must learn to PUSH with everything you have. It is a matter of life and death because if you ride, people are going to turn left in front of you.

https://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/fatal-motorcycle-crash-in-magnolia/

FATAL MOTORCYCLE CRASH IN MAGNOLIA

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I grew up on dirt bikes and have a bit of experience on the street - with that said, what do you suggest that they could have done to avoid hitting that car?

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You counter steer by pushing on the handle bar in the direction you want to turn. The harder you push, particularly on a big heavy bike, the faster you will turn. Look at the picture, this guy almost made it. A little bit more countersteering, and he would have. He was also probably looking at the car. You need to look where you want to go. Your hands follow your eyes.

I have practiced counter steering at 70 mph. I can literally move the bike more than a foot.

He should have also anticipated this. I always assume a car going the other direction wants to kill me.

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    From reading the link, it sounds like both Harleys hit the car, one on each side. So I'm not as confident that this could have been easily avoided in the moment.

That is not to say that the accident couldn't have been avoided-- for starters, the Harleys were probably too close together. A little more distance, and one of them would have avoided the crash. Secondly, it wasn't clear to me how much distance there was when the car signaled or started the turn. Maybe there was nothing that could be done, but from the article and the pictures, it looks to me like the Harleys just broadsided the car, one on each end. As always, more distance and more time is the key.

21. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I understand the counter steer but I find it difficult to believe that this was avoidable. The other lane likely had other cars. The lane that they are in has a car turning in front. The ditch side has a car (the same car) turning into it. And I do agree with Don that since both bikes hit it's unlikely that there was a lot of reaction time.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The dead guy hit the front passenger side area. This tells the car had already turned left in front of him. There’s no way of telling if he tried to countersteer or even if he hit the brakes.

How the second guy who was traveling in the same direction hit the rear of the car, I haven’t a clue. Maybe the car spun?

Point is left hand turns by cars is the number one killer of motorcyclists. I’m always watching the front tires of oncoming traffic. I’m always thinking of an escape route if necessary.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Any thing is better than a head on. Also note the guys was in cardiac arrest. He may have died of a heart attack.

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I 100% agree about the risks of left turns, whether by the motorcyclist or a car-- anyone involved.

In this case, looking at the pictures, I would guess that the bikes were in a close formation. One guy hit the front and as momentum carries the car forward, the second guy hits the back of the car.

Texas Forever and Rifledriver like this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #75 Rifledriver, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    I learned about this type of accident 1st hand. Not actually crashing was not my doing. Too many scooter riders go down the road with some view of them blocked by a car. An SUV can completely block someone from seeing a motorcycle. You can see them but not the other way around.

In my case 4 lane blvd behind and to right of Suburban. Quite a bit of space between us. Car on other side waiting to go left as soon as Suburban went by he hit throttle to make left turn and started across. Highly unlikely considering course and speed I could have avoided but he stopped. Good thing.

I could see him fine but in retrospect very little of me was probably visible. Happened a very long time ago but have never forgotten.