275GTB vs Daytona | Page 2 | FerrariChat

275GTB vs Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by J.P.Sarti, Nov 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    In several articles it states that the Ferrari 275 GTb was the last car to come from the factory that Enzo Ferrari thought you needed, but at that time, the Daytona was the car that Enzo and the Ferrari engineers thought you wanted.Both very different cars. Both beautiful. Wow, what a nice pair to have in the garage. (ferrari 275gtb/gts by Ian Webb/cavallino #9)

2. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I like the Daytona but 275GTBs especially 4 cams are just stunning in person for a front engine Ferrari. I believe they topped out around 165mph.

L Fioravanti designed both the Dino and Daytona along with the Boxer and 308 but I am unsure who designed the 275GTB, interesting the 275GTS shared a similar name but was totally different in styling.

3. AZRED72

AZRED72 Rookie

Oct 21, 2005
    Phoenix, Az
    Full Name:
    Tom Chauncey
    Malcom,
    Thanks for sharing your pictures. As a Daytona owner, have enjoyed the give and take...but thought your pictures were JUST SUPER!
    Thank you.

4. scylla6

scylla6 Rookie

Aug 9, 2005
    ct
    I have driven a 275 GTB/4 and Daytonas. To me the Daytona feels a bit lighter and drives much better. I just like the how it all feels and delivers. Especially I like the way the way the Daytona looks. From a performance and appearence stand point the Daytona rules.
    My opinion of course.
    Tom

5. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Terry, did you see the cold-air box at: http://daytonaregistry.com/originality/. It's at the very bottom of the page.

6. Sire Bruno de Locskley

Nov 29, 2005
    Annecy - France
    Full Name:
    Bruno Vagnotti
    my two car prefer

365 GTB/4 and 275 GTB short nose

7. boxer frank

boxer frank Karting

Sep 30, 2004
    toronto canada
    Full Name:
    FRANK
    anyone who refers to a daytona as a truck obviously doesnt know anything about cars

if a 365 gtb4 is a truck then what r older vettes and some other solid axle so called sportcars ?????????????

obviously the 365 is an evolution of the 275 therefore similar in many many respects

anybody who knows anything about cars knows they r both great sportscars

maybe some should be fired from talking about ferraris just like ferrari did to alain prost when he referred to his ferrari as a truck!

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    But the difference was Prost was being paid to drive a Ferrari. We pay for the ride, hence we can complain.

9. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #34 malcolmb, Dec 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am not certain I can add to much, and I do not disagree with anything others have said. Still, here are my thoughts. 275GTB2 is a jewel of a car. The engine pulls strongly from 1000RPM to the redline, like an electric motor almost. There is not as much valvetrain noise as the 365 engines-I dont know why but maybe the gears for the four cams chatter. Perhaps a four cam 275 owner can say whether that engine is most like a 275 or a 365 as far as noise goes. It is lighter to drive, the steering is lighter and the car feels lighter in the corners and on the road. Of course it IS lighter by several hundred pounds. The car has a heater[allegedly same as a period MG] mounted under the instrument panel. If you want heat there is a door on the front of the heater box which you may open. Air comes from the familiar cable controlled damper and heater valve. Air cooling is supplied by opening sliding dampers in the footwell and the rear quarter panels to provide flow through ventilation.Opening the windows also seems to work. It is a lovely, sweet, fast, good handling car which does not seem to have any apparant vices.I personally like the way it looks from all angles, but the rear end is a little weak visually.The365GTB4 Daytona is totally different even if it is built on the same frame-I dont know the answer to that but if the frame is different it isnt much different because they were pretty similar for all the cars of the period, werent they? This is a balls out, spin the wheels, raise the nose, put the hammer down car. When the 275 is maxed out at about 150MPH the Daytona is ready for 5th gear, then it will run out to about 173MPH. Is there a better photo than the R&T Daytona road test photo of Dean Batchelor pegging the needles? It IS a heavy car, but when you get to 4000RPM the engine noise is overpowered by the wind, the yowling exhaust and the twelve carborator throats sucking for air.Redline is 7800, but the big torque means going there is not really necessary except on a max speed run. At around 100MPH the car hunkers down, comes together and is READY! It weighs about 4000 pounds, has A/C, A heater controlled by a cable[big breakthrough here] and power windows.I have driven mine across America three times- I cant imagine that this is not the best road car of its time-actually, for about twenty years it was about the fastest road car available. Admittidly those were not the best years for the auto business.I drove it quite fast on I-10 several years ago and had no trouble reelling in the boxers and TRs-Of course that my just be a case of who is stupidist? I love the way it looks, there is no weak angle to view it from, I particularly like the rear three quarter view.If the 275 is san francisco[sophisticated, light on its feet] then the Daytona is Chicago.Now, here is the question-if a Daytona and a GTB are running side by side at top speed and the treadmills are running at the same speed in the opposite direction holding the wheel centers still relative to the earth, which one will fly first.Seriously, Ilove them both and am priveleged to own the two cars I most like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hobacks427, SVK328, AHudson and 3 others like this.
  10. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeet !!!! Great post, love the metaphorical comparisons, probably the only way I'll get to experience either car in the near future. . . !

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nice write up, my friend. I guess the real test will come in a year or so when it is a nice spring morning, the way is clear, and you have to decide which key to grab! Lucky dog you.

About the truck comment, I think that came in comparison to other sports cars. If you drive a 1973 911S and a 1973 Daytona back-to-back, the Daytona will feel truck like at low speeds, until you step on the loud pedal and the world becomes a whole different place.

Dale

12. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    well it s a big dilemma what you propose.
    between two monsters which one is better?

at first it will be 365 gtb/4 Daytona, style, performance,
    and the devellopment which received this car with races.
    and second the 275 GTB short nose (nice version)
    but the sound it different, and i think the short nose it's better sound.

My preferance it s for the 275 GTB S.N . (simply in red/shark style in front)

13. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Most think the long nose is a better car, it doesnt seem to lift at high speeds and it has the torque tube. I could never pick between them, that was what I meant to convey-they are different but equal in a way. The GTB is easier around town and on tight roads, the long-legged daytona is a no brainer for the highway. Yes, the steering is hard, it is tough to parallel park . Get over it.

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Dale: It was a beautifull Fall weekend here, I drove them both. Did you know the 911 has its engine incorrectly located? Thats why it steers so easily. At high cornering speeds the steering doesnt do anything, does it? :]
    I had a 1967 911 and could never get used to it, although I admired the build quality-except for the #3 piston.

15. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I still feel that the Daytona is a very harsh riding car compared to the cars before it or after it in the Ferrari series. I've had 2 Daytonas, have one now. Had a 275 GTB short nose. Have a carbed Boxer now. Have owned some other period Ferrari vehicles. The Daytona is not nearly as light handeling as the 275GTB. Second, it does not have have as modern suspension as the Boxer. It is a heavy handling vehicle compared to the vehicles that came before it or after it. Gerald Roush discusses this in his book on the Daytona.

Talk to people who have these cars and they will point that out. I have an acquaintance in Birmingham who just got a Daytona early this year. First thing he said was that he loved the car but compared to his 33GTC it drives like a truck.

So, I don't think we're all wet with the truck comment when put in this context which is not meant to detract from the Daytona. I love my Daytona but compared to what came before or after it, the Daytona is a heavy, tightly sprung, harsh riding vehicle at normal highway speeds that does come into its own until about 80mph when the car feels good on the road.

Truck or no truck I liked it enough to buy another one 10 years later. :)

Regards,

Drew Altemara

AHudson and -K1- like this.
  16. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Its not that the Daytona is a truck..... its that the 911S "IS" a go-cart!

I have a '69 911S that weighs 2000lb and has a 2.5L MFI engine good for about 225hp. The steering and throttle response on these early light 911s is unlike any other car I have ever driven. You dont "drive" them..... you think them. The control input reactions are so fast its like the car responds to your very thoughts. Compared to this, the Daytona is indeed a truck. A dump truck.

Still, when going for a relaxing afternoon drive where I still want the option of angering the neighbors and terrorizing small children at will, I usually pick the Daytona. When going to the track, its 911S all the way.

Terry

17. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    My 2 cents on the Daytona-as-a-truck debate:

Compared to more "tossable" sports cars of the era, such as the Lotus Elan, Alfas, and Porches, the Daytona is indeed heavy, ponderous at low speeds, yes, truck-like. But that's comparing apples to oranges. The Daytona's more like a Jag XKE: you don't weave through traffic with it, you find an open road, stomp on the accelerator, hear the engine roar, and blast into hyperspace at 4000 rpm. Can't do that in my Alfa.

18. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    What a great thread.

19. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I was told many years ago by a senior official at the factory "The 308 is the car you told us you wanted, the Daytona is the car we thought you wanted, but the 275 GTB is the car Mr. Ferrari wanted for you". I own both (GTB for 50 years, Daytona for 30 years). Very different cars, but I still always come back to the 275 GTB.

375+, Nembo1777 and readplays like this.
  20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wow.

Current pricing says a lot.

I wish I knew then (2005) what I know now. I bought a 330 2+2 that I could easily afford. I would have also bought a 275 GTB. In hindsight.

:-(

Matt

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Daytona is the best, a real hot rod. Sure, a man's car, but I rode with a petite London young lady driving one.
    If she could, and boy did she ever, then why any complaints, a truck, heavy, nothing is like a Daytona. Period.
    The best bang for the buck.

Regrets to the ones that do not agree :)

Regards, Alberto

TTR likes this.
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Daytona is a hell of a bargain and is the natural evolution of the 275 4 cam.

swift53 likes this.
  23. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed: I agree, in the whole scheme of the collector car world, for what they are, Daytona's are cheap today.

TTR likes this.
  24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Agreed.

Matt

25. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3