Will Lewis quit & who is available to replace him ? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Will Lewis quit & who is available to replace him ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by greyboxer, Dec 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    How do you think MAX ran into Lewis ?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Err what? It was lewis that ran into Max.

3. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Lol, is this argument still going on? Can’t we just call it a racing incident?…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yea I take your point but Bottas (particularly at Azerbaijan) was just in totally the wrong part of the track for the entire 1st lap. He often is. If he was just on the racing line when there was initially no danger of hitting anyone (as there was no one beside him) then he wouldn’t have dropped down so much corner by corner. It was painful to watch him flubbing it so badly for a “top tier” racer!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Rumours coming from England that if Lewis retires, Gasly will take his place.

375+, jgonzalesm6 and jpalmito like this.
  7. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    I just saw a New Years greet for 2022 from Hamilton wearing the new silver arrow clothing.
    So it seems he will just continue.

Don’t know how to upload or link..

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Hello!!!!

jpalmito, 375+ and Bas like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A scary concept, if I'm very honest. Whilst Gasly fared poorly against Max, it was partially due to Gasly's inability to drive a car that didn't suit his driving style, fast. Gasly in a car that he likes, will be a huge force to consider.

kes7u, stavura, SimCity3 and 3 others like this.
  10. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    What makes you think he will like the Merc, if he can't adapt to a RB then that tells me he's not a top driver.

11. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    If I were Merc I would go for Norris everytime or give Alonso another chance, the way he struggled with Ocon though tells me he may not be the same force he once was.

Yep, Norris is a no-brainer.

ricksb likes this.
  12. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    It's going to be hard for Lewis to walk away...but just as hard to come back and have to race against Russell and Max. Lewis can privately always say the 8th WDC was stolen from him by people who wanted to preserve Michael Schumacher's legacy, and Mercedes goes into a rebuild year. If Lewis stays...he and Mercedes had better be on the exact same page every single day, or there could be fire works, and a mid-season retirement.

Wass85 and Terra like this.
  13. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    That's what I say, I think this year will have taken everything out of him especially with him losing.

He knows he gave it his best shot against a driver who had the closest car performance wise a rival has ever had and he came off second best.

I think the team let him down more than he underperformed but Verstappen was better and more consistent, he never had any off weekends performance wise.

Hamilton has nothing left to prove, he should walk away after that sham of as race.

surfwolf likes this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That is true.

He could win 200 GPs and be 10 times WDC, that would never convince his detractors.

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I would bet he returns with a point to prove. I don’t see the scenario as you’re laying them out. He’s a different sort of cat

16. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There were a few other things not working in his favor including his inexperience, not being the Red Bull golden boy, and the pressure of having Verstappen as a teammate. That’s sort of a christening by fire, but he emerged, and I still consider him to be a very talented driver.

375+ likes this.
  17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    You may be right. We will see as testing unfolds. New wheel size means new suspensions and very new tires...so lots of chances for everyone to get it right, or get it wrong. Not sure Lewis will be into just putting in a development year at Mercedes. He might consider an offer from a McLaren or Ferrari if they want to spend the money to buy him from Mercedes.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The Red Bull was quite pointy, i.e. very nervous on the limit. If you have a driver capable of this driving this, it has the possibility of being insanely fast. Drivers like Michael, Verstappen and Kimi loved cars with pointy front ends.

The Merc on the other hand is more ''traditional'' typically, where it has a touch of understeer. This is a huge confidence builder.

Of course we can't quite look into the future and occasionally designers get the car horrible wrong and deliver a car opposite of what the drivers want.

19. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    It will kill him walking away after getting robbed of a 8th world title but I'd say shove it up
    All I see is excuses, there's much better options for Mercedes, Norris being one of them.

20. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Hamilton will probably already be on the back foot. I bet Russell has constantly been on the simulator whilst Hamilton is sulking alone in his flat.

I've said it before, he's facing Russell at the wrong point in his career and this devastating defeat will have finished him off, if he does continue I can't see him being the same force again.

21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

We will see. Hopefully Wolff allows both drivers to chase the WDC.

22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The RB was a pig until '21.

Gasly is way above Bottas in talent.

stavura and Bas like this.
  23. I haven't been following closely, 'just have stuck my head in here every now and then.
    All this conjecture (11 pages, 272 posts).....I'm just curious.....has Lewis himself stated, or even implied, that he might not be returning? I've not seen that anywhere; just others' theories. o_O (Admittedly, I haven't been searching for anything.....what will be will be as far as I'm concerned...I've better things to do)
    'Last I heard him.....right after the race.....he stated (paraphrased) "We'll see about next year" when asked about not getting his 8th.

24. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Max only drives high downforce force hybrid era cars. Schumi, Ham, Kimi won with with vastley different cars 15 years ago.

25. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Regarding Gasly, he showed to be no better than Albon.
    All I hear is excuse for his poor performance at RB, great drivers adapt at the end of the day.