Daytona Spyder door windows ? | FerrariChat

Daytona Spyder door windows ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TTR, Jan 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I apologize for slightly commercial oriented post, but I would like to know if anyone here is aware of a Daytona Spyder currently undergoing major, glass out repaint or restoration and perhaps a way to contact its owner to see if I could “borrow” the door glass briefly ?

Some of you know I reproduce windshields and other curved glass windows for variety of vintage cars, including Daytonas and recently sold the last pair of my door (drop) windows for Berlinettas I produced a batch of some years ago.
    I’m now looking into producing another batch and although Spyders present even smaller market I’ve been thinking if I should produce a few sets for those also, but would need an OEM pair for template and tooling pattern.

And before anyone comments or suggests reproduction Spyder door/drop glass already being available, I’d like to ask if they’ve actually seen and/or (tried to) install them.

Any recommendations via PM also welcomed.

afterburner and swift53 like this.
  2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would not bother Timo.
    I had a new old stock one a few years ago, still in the box.
    I could not give it away, I sold it on E-bay for about £50 if I remember correctly. Ferrari UK had some a few years ago, not sure if they still have any.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #3 TTR, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Thanks Grant.
    I appreciate the insight and understand they may not have high demand, but this wouldn’t be my first project in which I might never make any ROI in years, if ever or perhaps even recover the initial costs.
    It’s just that in last few years I’ve received couple of inquiries and since I have the tooling for Berlinetta glass, getting set to produce more, I thought this would be ideal timing to see if Spyder glass shape/size matches the tooling close enough allowing them to be made with same and minimize potential financial (loss ?) impact.
    I’ve heard & seen some (reproduction) ones available from UK and wasn’t the only one not impressed with their quality.

I sill have one complete set of (curved) side windows I produced 3 sets of nearly 20 years ago for a fairly rare American-made luxury car from the 1950’s.
    1st set was for a car I was performing a complete restoration for at the time (soon after it was finished, it sold for “World Record”, which I believe still stands today),
    2nd set went about 10 years ago to someone restoring a similar car and broke one of the windows, but being tinted (both the original ones and mine), finding a good used (NOS glass hasn’t been available for over 50 years) one with matching (faded) tint was going to be very difficult, if not impossible, so they bought the complete set from me.
    One day, someone will need/want the last set.

And I knew I wasn’t going to retire on those windows either, but it’s kind of like a what a friend said long ago “It’s OK to loose a little in any business deal or sale as long as you make it up in volume” ;)

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The curve in the glass should be the same as the coupe as the opening front quarter window frame is the same as the coupe. Same part numbers for the frames.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    That pesky little word “should” sounds easy enough, but …

… due to original design shape of the body, OEM (vertical) curvature between front & rear edges of Berlinetta door glass is different by couple of degrees, not to mention they’re also ever so slightly twisted (think propeller).
    This of course is one of several contributors why Berlinetta upper door frames rarely fit very well and why the up-&-down operation of the glass is often difficult and/or slow, etc.

While I inevitably (& deliberately) went slightly off from replicating exact OEM shapes, I took all these issues into consideration when designing and making templates and tooling for all of my (Berlinetta) side glass windows (= vent, door & quarter) and would like to see OEM Spyder glass for comparison.

afterburner likes this.