When will the 296 be driven and reviewed? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When will the 296 be driven and reviewed?

Discussion in '296' started by DavisJ, Dec 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Starts about 30k higher. What they’ve said is 320s base.

2. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Price list I've seen has $308 base but of course, that could change. Options are mostly usual pricings.

BigJay2050 and ryalex like this.
  3. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    That's where mine was, with about 85k in options.

johnr265 and ryalex like this.
  4. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    I just placed a deposit on mine today in scottsdale and the print out with options shows 312k as base price

could dealer “change” the base price ?

5. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Yes. The base price has already increased from the original price sheet. Also the price you got more than likely won’t be the final price. You will know the final price when the car arrives. More than likely when the car goes into production in Q4 of this year the price will have another increase. (This could include options as well) It should even say that on your deposit paperwork.

6. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    thank you

7. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Is hot vee really that problematic? Surely things get hot within the vee, but at least the heat rises directly up to the engine cover from where it can be channeled out.

In cold vee the exhausts heat also the engine block above. I assume that is not optimal either. In addition, isn't it better also in cold vee configuration to locate the turbos as high as possible to prevent heating up the whole engine bay?

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    The rear-mid engine placement is already difficult for cooling, with the turbos directly on top of the engine I wonder what Ferrari has done, if anything, to ventilate the heat, merely venting up is insufficient as there is essentially no air flow to aid cooling. It appears there is a metal heat shield on part of the engine bonnet to help prevent the bonnet melting/deforming (so they recognize the heat situation created by the hot-vee that required no such remedy for their previous turbo designs). For instance, MB(117) has fans to help move the heat away, and a special blanket can help...aftermarket.

To me, this is Ferrari's first attempt at a hot-vee rear-mid-engine, did they get the cooling right? If not, we will find out...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

inox likes this.
  9. RADONCulous

RADONCulous Rookie

Jul 25, 2017
    Miami
    Ferrari is a stickler for following heritage...is it really a Ferrari if there is no risk of the car catching on fire? ;)

SirTony76 and AliPaPa like this.
  10. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I assume you have noticed how the roofline drops and directs airflow under the roof spoiler?

The picture below does not show airflow route correctly (as it really goes under the roof spoiler, not above it), but the end result is still the same, i.e. the airflow creates suction effect to ventilate hot air out from the engine cover.

The hot-v might even have something to do why this car doesn't have a typical rear window design used in recent Ferrari models.

11. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

I’m going to leave these here from a car that has been “driven”….

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3264599

inox likes this.
  13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

It drives like a higher performance F8.

Smaller ….. Lighter…..

and at no time does it feel like its lacking power…

Throttle response is immediate, if not a little premature. I don’t mean that in a bad way just that if you ask for it the driveline is going to deliver!

Cold start exhaust note is deep almost baritone in frequency. Once it reaches operating temperature and is sitting at idle it is relatively muted.

In no stretch of the imagination is it an actual comparison, but it feels an awful lot like a supercharged lotus exige… on steroids!
    ( with a significantly nicer interior ! )

I imagine once the dynamic demonstrators hit the Dealerships, others will chime in.

S

Caeruleus11, Slicknick and Nospinzone like this.
  14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Thanks - do you have any sense of when that might be ?

15. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    assume that reflects full power from the electric motor setting...would be keen to hear about the driving dynamics when purely use ICE

Slicknick likes this.
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There isn't a setting where the electric motor is disengaged.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Scott simpson

Scott simpson Rookie

Jan 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Hold Your Horses
    Can you notice difference of exhaust when in race mode.

18. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    That doesn't look too good. What material is currently being used for turbo covers? I assume they need some corrective actions here.

19. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    BTW, should there have been two images here? If so, I can't access the latter one.

20. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    There have been some developments since the upper picture which contains grilles around the Ferrari text logo. The lower picture is from a presentation car and there are no holes besides the actual Ferrari texture anymore. Also, in the lower picture the turbo covers are not so tightly sealed towards the exhausts. It is hard to tell if the material has changed as well, although in the lower pic the cover has more robust appearance.

Caeruleus11 and Slicknick like this.
  21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #46 JTSE30, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Looks like they have not figured out the heat dissipation issue ...what else is happening that we cannot see?

I hope those covers are pure aluminum, melting point about 1220F(660C), they best make them of titanium...(if not all aluminum and are instead stainless steel, an unbelievable heat load is happening)

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/melting-points

but, if that is all aluminum, that means the temperature must be 1200F + (depending on atmospheric conditions, etc), that's just like putting the headers on top of the engine...

hot-vee, will it be a hot-mess ??

22. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    It’s not an attractive looking engine either way. Unfortunate, but it is what it is, I guess.

23. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand

Caeruleus11 and inox like this.
  24. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Deformed turbo heat shields are obviously not from production model so hard to tell if they have already fixed the issue. Exhaust manifolds are made from Inconel, so that is at least one material which should do fine as a heat shield. Hottest areas reside above turbos, so obviously the heat shields are first to suffer. However, I am sure that Ferrari has enough expertise to fix possible heat issues before going to production.

JTSE30 likes this.
  25. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    why you decide to buy 296? what is your main motivation?