Could Lewis do an Alonso? | FerrariChat

Could Lewis do an Alonso?

Discussion in 'F1' started by subirg, Jan 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    So Lewis still hasn’t confirmed he’s coming back for 2022. Reports emerging that he’s waiting for the FIA to report back on its investigation into the Abu Dhabi farce before making a decision. Given who’s now running the FIA, I expect no rule changes or personnel changes which will obviously mean Lewis can’t come back.

So does he do an Alonso and take a break from F1, watch how things pan out and then maybe come back in 2023 / 2024?

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That would put Mercedes on the back foot, with no designated second driver for 2022.

I doubt if they would take him back in 2023 if Hamilton left them in a lurch for this season.

I suppose all these eventualities are in his contract.

Alonso took a sabatical, that's true, but he had a drive lined up for the following season when he left McLaren, so it's different.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #3 DeSoto, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    The big question is will Alonso do a Hamilton. Some internet charlatans already are putting him in the Mercedes if Hamilton quits.

But I suspect that Hamilton is playing the primadonna again and will appear at the last minute like the chivalry, looking for vengeance, still I rise, etc...

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That seems unlikely too, since that would mean Alpine releasing Alonso from his contract.

But maybe Mercedes could convince them to have Ocon, who is managed by Toto Wolff, if I believe the media.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If LH leaves -- world turns.

Mercedes should get FA or Sainz!

6. DF1

Via SKY F1:

Lewis Hamilton's F1 future remains unclear - with the FIA's Abu Dhabi investigation key to its resolution - Sky Sports News has learned.

Hamilton lost the world championship to Max Verstappen in hugely controversial circumstances on the final lap of 2021's season-ending Abu Dhabi GP on December 12. Mercedes withdrew their appeal against the result after the FIA pledged an investigation into the events surrounding the Safety Car procedures.

That probe was announced on December 15 - could any delay to its findings impact whether Hamilton carries on to try to win an eighth world crown in the new season?

Sky Sports News' Craig Slater reported: "With 69 days to go until the first Grand Prix in Bahrain, it is still unclear whether Lewis Hamilton will be on the grid.

"In terms of Hamilton coming back to Formula 1, having the appetite to do so and getting over the 'disillusionment' that his team boss Toto Wolff said he felt after Abu Dhabi, the onus is on the FIA to deliver on the pledge they made before Christmas to investigate the happenings on that final lap and to come up with some findings.

"It is understood that Mercedes want to see something tangible. It's been put to me like this: the longer this drags on then the worse the Lewis Hamilton situation is, and that is from a senior source."

The 23-race 2022 campaign begins on March 18-20, with winter testing for the all-new generation of cars underway from February 23.

7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

If it is true that he hesitates and said nothing to Mercedes, it's really a lack of respect for a team that gave him everything.
    A real spoiled child.

8. DF1

Really. You spoke to Toto and know this as fact. Seems quite understandable and Im thinking Toto knows all about LH hesitation and concerns before anyone else. I think one could say what happend in Yas affects the majority of the team and they feel in some ways as LH does.Thats a touch more possble.

Given how long he has driven for the team it would appear to be a good solid relationship from looking from an outside position as this.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I believe that what he really wants from an FIA investigation is at least a tacit or implied finding that he is the true, if not the official, champion of 2021.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My guessing as well. Milking it till the end, then write a book (ghost writer obviously).

I suspect Mercedes will try to get Gasly if Ham is a no show.

SimCity3 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Come on! Let’s be serious for two seconds, please.
    It’s not like he just lost a child.
    He is a multimillionaire athlete, certainly brilliant but who had the chance to drive for a team unique in the history of this sport.
    He wants to save the world, he should start by leveling himself with the mere mortals.

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd say also one of the problems here is, racing rule clarification and consistancy, and getting rid of the blurred lines of whats acceptable.

I'am not saying that is a easy job with all the multitude and variables that can arise, but if it's a repeat of last years racing with Max and Lewis making it a close run thing, then some permanant lines need to be drawn with no grey areas, hence taking away the much depised race decision making, over a board room table.

Lewis saying nothing at present is probably the better option, I wouldn't blame from walking away from a WWE show.

lorenzobandini, surfwolf and william like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    ^^^^^^^ A centimillionaire diva playing the martyr. Give me a break.

PBT58, ingegnere, Daryl and 6 others like this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1

But Alonso in the Merc would be fun too

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly.
    Yep.

He should take a look at Schumacher how he behaved in 2005 and 2006...look at this one for example, Schumacher lost ground to Alonso here in a tough fight in 2006, and he's quite happy after the race still, joking even.

I can understand Hamilton being upset after Abu Dhabi (for anyone attempting, lets forget getting into the discussion again, we've got plenty of threads for that). But he's an adult (or supposed to be, anyways). The cryptic games he's playing (unfollowing everyone on social media, clearly fueling the ''will he/won't he" retirement **** by not speaking at all etc etc) is childish.

Alonso vs Raikkonen vs M. Schumacher - 2006 British GP (Silverstone) - YouTube

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd like to see it happen!

17. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Maybe, however I'd say it's a situation where either choice results in a negative outcome. in other words, damned if he does damned if he doesn't.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A bit like Djokovic in Australia ... ;)

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I would think that the news embargo has been agreed between Hamilton and Mercedes to frustrate the media and send the FIA/Liberty guessing .

20. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Maldonado IS available!

:D:D:D

fatbillybob likes this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Hulk???

Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Lewis is coming back cuz he loves the limelight

23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    A lot of people really don’t care..

« les cimetières sont pleins de gens irremplaçables «

WilyB likes this.
  24. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Lol Man don't you see all of these Hamilton post? People here care about what Hamilton ate for breakfast.

lorenzobandini and surfwolf like this.
  25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Remember the speculation when Lewis delayed signing contract with Merc? All kind of rumors, whatever happens happens!

lorenzobandini, ingegnere and Bas like this.