Algar Ferrari is Acquired by RDS Automotive | FerrariChat

Algar Ferrari is Acquired by RDS Automotive

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Level7, Dec 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    RADNOR, Pa., December 24, 2021 (Newswire.com) - RDS Automotive Group, the premier luxury and exotics dealership group owned by Robert DiStanislao, will extend its proven reputation for superior service in the Philadelphia market, announcing its acquisition of Algar Ferrari of Philadelphia. The location, which will be renamed to Ferrari Philadelphia, will be the first Ferrari dealership operated by RDS Automotive Group and the eleventh dealership added to the company's collection of premium retail stores.

"It only makes sense to add Ferrari to our stable of premium brands," said Mr. DiStanislao.

RDS Automotive Group will provide Ferrari Philadelphia clients with the same superior service and ownership experience that has distinguished the RDS brand within the luxury and exotic automotive community. Clients who visit the location will be able to purchase new and pre-owned Ferraris, fully service their current vehicles, and purchase parts and accessories from one of the most uniquely stocked parts catalogs in the country. The dealership's experienced staff members are committed to exceeding expectations and will go above and beyond to give clients an all-encompassing ownership experience that goes well beyond the point of sale.

As a new dealership of RDS Automotive Group, Ferrari Philadelphia joins the company's four other Philadelphia area locations: Porsche of The Main Line, McLaren Philadelphia, Maserati of The Main Line, and Lamborghini Philadelphia, which will open in the first quarter of 2022. RDS Automotive Group's other dealerships include Lamborghini Greenwich in Greenwich, Connecticut, and Lamborghini Newport Beach, McLaren Newport Beach, Bugatti Newport Beach, Koenigsegg Newport Beach and Maserati Irvine, in Newport Beach, California.

Ferrari Philadelphia was officially acquired by RDS Automotive Group on Thursday, Dec. 23, 2021.

MEDIA CONTACT:
    JP Gaffney, RDS Automotive Group
    [email protected]
    484-804-4800

About RDS Automotive Group: Founded in 2007 with Porsche of The Main Line by Robert DiStanislao, RDS Automotive Group is a premium national luxury and exotic automotive dealership group, with headquarters in Newtown Square, PA. Comprised of Porsche of The Main Line, McLaren Philadelphia, Maserati of The Main Line, Lamborghini Newport Beach, McLaren Newport Beach, Koenigsegg Newport Beach, Bugatti Newport Beach, Lamborghini Greenwich, Lamborghini Philadelphia, Maserati Irvine and Ferrari Philadelphia, RDS Automotive Group has garnered nation-wide acclaim for offering their clients a superior ownership experience. This superior level of service has earned awards across the industry, including: Porsche of The Main Line 10 time Premier Dealership award winner, McLaren Philadelphia 3 time Premier Retailer and 2019 Retailer of The Year, as well as being the largest distributors of new Lamborghinis in the U.S. and the highest-rated Maserati dealership in Pennsylvania over the last five years.
    RADNOR, Pa., December 24, 2021 (Newswire.com) - RDS Automotive Group, the premier luxury and exotics dealership group owned by Robert DiStanislao, will extend its proven reputation for superior service in the Philadelphia market, announcing its acquisition of Algar Ferrari of Philadelphia. The location, which will be renamed to Ferrari Philadelphia, will be the first Ferrari dealership operated by RDS Automotive Group and the eleventh dealership added to the company's collection of premium retail stores.

"It only makes sense to add Ferrari to our stable of premium brands," said Mr. DiStanislao.

RDS Automotive Group will provide Ferrari Philadelphia clients with the same superior service and ownership experience that has distinguished the RDS brand within the luxury and exotic automotive community. Clients who visit the location will be able to purchase new and pre-owned Ferraris, fully service their current vehicles, and purchase parts and accessories from one of the most uniquely stocked parts catalogs in the country. The dealership's experienced staff members are committed to exceeding expectations and will go above and beyond to give clients an all-encompassing ownership experience that goes well beyond the point of sale.

As a new dealership of RDS Automotive Group, Ferrari Philadelphia joins the company's four other Philadelphia area locations: Porsche of The Main Line, McLaren Philadelphia, Maserati of The Main Line, and Lamborghini Philadelphia, which will open in the first quarter of 2022. RDS Automotive Group's other dealerships include Lamborghini Greenwich in Greenwich, Connecticut, and Lamborghini Newport Beach, McLaren Newport Beach, Bugatti Newport Beach, Koenigsegg Newport Beach and Maserati Irvine, in Newport Beach, California.

Ferrari Philadelphia was officially acquired by RDS Automotive Group on Thursday, Dec. 23, 2021.

MEDIA CONTACT:
    JP Gaffney, RDS Automotive Group
    [email protected]
    484-804-4800

About RDS Automotive Group: Founded in 2007 with Porsche of The Main Line by Robert DiStanislao, RDS Automotive Group is a premium national luxury and exotic automotive dealership group, with headquarters in Newtown Square, PA. Comprised of Porsche of The Main Line, McLaren Philadelphia, Maserati of The Main Line, Lamborghini Newport Beach, McLaren Newport Beach, Koenigsegg Newport Beach, Bugatti Newport Beach, Lamborghini Greenwich, Lamborghini Philadelphia, Maserati Irvine and Ferrari Philadelphia, RDS Automotive Group has garnered nation-wide acclaim for offering their clients a superior ownership experience. This superior level of service has earned awards across the industry, including: Porsche of The Main Line 10 time Premier Dealership award winner, McLaren Philadelphia 3 time Premier Retailer and 2019 Retailer of The Year, as well as being the largest distributors of new Lamborghinis in the U.S. and the highest-rated Maserati dealership in Pennsylvania over the last five years.

375+, colombo2cam, bmf40 and 2 others like this.
  2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    And parts prices just went up!

Texas Forever and F2003-GA like this.
  3. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Hmm. This may not good, Algar has the best parts selection and prices in the US. We can speculate they will only try to maximize those profits.

Texas Forever and Jasonberkeley like this.
  4. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
  5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was thinking the same thing.

6. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I am not sure why the factories, not just Ferrari, believe that embracing their history and allowing such names as Algar Ferrari to live on is bad for their brand.

Texas Forever, Viperjoe and E60 M5 like this.
  7. colombo2cam

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted

8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Maybe, because the "new" money doesn't understand where Algar was located, lol....

colombo2cam likes this.
  9. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Truth be told I've always thought Algar's parts pricing was sky-high - though they do/did have an extensive selection

newark_308 likes this.
  10. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Website is now revamped too
    More of a standard boiler plate Ferrari website.
    Glad Bob D. Is the owner now. He is a true car enthusiast.

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    manufacturers are looking for the uniformity for the image of their brand and that applies to naming. By choosing geographic location in the naming, if a dealership changes ownership it will still be Brand X of City Y.

any know if the Denver store was sold as well?

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Everyone always raves about the parts department at Algar. Every time I have called I get nice old Italian guy who doesn't know **** about anything. I've spoken with them about parts for 512, 512BB, 308, & 599 and it's always the same.

I welcome the sale of the dealership.

Rifledriver likes this.
  13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mercedes and BMW have done the same over the last 15 years or so. All the dealers are location named at this point, guess they figure their customers are too stoopid to be able to find the right dealer without an obvious location in the name. (In many instances, they may just be right.)

Ford doesn't seem to be embracing the policy down here in FL, at least not yet.

D

colombo2cam likes this.
  14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Don't count on the sale displacing the "Nice old Italian guy" in the parts department.

D

15. colombo2cam

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I get the concept for the majority of dealerships with little or no history - Algar is steeped in Ferrari history and had a huge impact on Ferraris success in the united states. The cars that came through those doors were epic to say the least. Not your typical Joe Schmo's Ferrari that can be renamed without loosing history. The story of Algar and its history should be promoted rather than erased for some sterile image.

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oh, I dunno,

It's been quite some time since the source family for ALGAR owned the place, right? and when Al bought it the name was?

"Derham Custom Body Company" and nobody really misses that name.

And lots of the Algar history got washed away when the top floor flooded many years ago, ruining years and years of written history.

Hell, the building doesn't look anything like what it did for 40 years as Algar, either.

Rifledriver likes this.
  17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Algar is like Holbert's. Both deep in tradition, but the owners who made the history long gone. You buy from those you trust. Both had that distinction. New owners have not earned that privilege. Time to seek traditional owners in other states with similar history to the formentioned.

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Boy is that ever the truth.

1980 I went to Holbert's Porsche and saw a used black 911 and decided to take a test drive. 24 year old kid (me) walks in and the sales guy says, "Sure, let's go." off we went. Loved the car, had to have it, told the sales guy I'd take it! Asked if he would take a credit card for the deposit to hold it until I came back Monday with payment in full. At the time they didn't take credit cards.

Mr. Holbert saw us, came over and said, "You want the car?" I did, but told him all I had was $10.00 cash on me. He took the ten, told the sales guy to write it up with a $10.00 deposit. on a $17K used car. We did the deal with that $10 deposit holding the car until I got back Monday, wrote them a personal check for the balance, and away I went.

Seriously doubt anyone at either dealership would "trust" someone they'd never met before on a tiny deposit for one of their cars now.

Here's that car, many years ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Years later Bob Segal sold me my Dino, didn't want a deposit. Did $28K worth of repairs before I ever picked it up. Discounted the repairs $8K because they had quoted $20,000 before I had bought the car from him.

And the Dino.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Those days are long gone.

D

TonyK, of2worlds, 375+ and 4 others like this.
  19. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Wasn't Algar owned by Aleksander Vekselberg, son of the Russian billionaire? I was never interested in giving them my business because of that. Glad to hear its changing hands.

Rifledriver likes this.
  20. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For what it's worth, Warrington is owned and run by familial and true enthusiasts. They all have corporate aggravation to deal with since the manufacturers have become so big, but generally speaking, they infuse passion into their brand through carefully curated day-to-day operations and culture.

Algar has decayed, on the other hand.

375+ and dm_n_stuff like this.
  21. NewYorkLego

NewYorkLego Karting

Jan 28, 2019
    NY
    Sad to hear. Algar has always been very good to me. Kevin in parts is magnificent!

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Agree. I always enjoyed kidding Mr Holbert (Bob) After Al's passing I saw him in the showroom. After condolences on Al I asked about what would become of the 962. He stated they were working on a new home. He asked me what I would with it? I smiled and told him " chop it for parts ". He chuckled and smiled and sayed "you would!" They were great people and I have many wonderful memories of them. They truly are missed.

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not really. They aren't close to Holbert's. They are a production sales operation. Went in once looking a bit ragged, got totally ignored. Sales rep thought I was some kinda bum. Went on my way. Holbert's.....never would have happened. Went in many a time and always got the royal treatment. Didn't matter what I wore. They knew Porsche customers came in all shapes and sizes. Same for clothes. I have many fond stories of Holbert's. They are truly missed.

24. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Anybody remember when Li Rimani [sp?] ran the parts department at Algar? Li seemingly could find any part for a Ferrari because he knew so many sources in Italy other than the factory. Li helped me and my Dad for years. Great guy.

Also.......Phil Tegtmeier was one of the salesman at Algar back in the 80s if I recall correctly. I remember sitting down in front of him with my checkbook wanting to buy a 328 GTS they had on the floor. After about 1/2 hour Phil had talked me out of it saying you really don't want this car. I walked away scratching my head.....still do to this day. He is quite a character.

Ah.....the old days at Algar......when Daytonas were 14k, C/4 was 16k and a dino 10k. Showing my age......

25. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Yes, but Dino's aren't Ferrari's :p

SCantera likes this.