930 Turbo Carrera | Page 342 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albinski

Albinski Rookie

Sep 9, 2021
    Bydgoszcz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof Szweda
    Thanks. It is indeed; it shows the clamp in its unaltered shape though, and there's no way to install the wiper motor in a way that it is not colliding with turbo pipe while closing engine lid.
    For now i decided to trim my clamp and bolt the wiper on, based on multiple pictures i have found so far:)

Will post a pic once done.

Meanwhile - here's what will get cut out:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Albinski and cnpapa24 like this.
  3. Hannu911

Hannu911 Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    I just got my copy of Ryan's wonderful book, very interesting reading for the whole year.

Ryan, could you please explain the Bosch date coding on the pictures on page 75. The 1st digit is clearly year but is the last digit really the month? Image Unavailable, Please Login
    How would November and December be coded? And what is the middle digit?

Reason why I'm interested on this is that I have a 930 made October 1977 (yes, 3.3) that has 731 on the label, which would mean that it was made January 1977.
    I originally thought that the first digit is year and the next two are week, which would match nicely with the build date. But then I saw 667 on another 930's fuel distributer.

Attached Files:

4. pquadrat

pquadrat Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    731 is November 1977.

721 is January 77
    722 February 77
    729 September 77
    730 Oktober 77
    731 November 77
    732 December 77

647 would be July 1986

667 is July 1996

5. pquadrat

pquadrat Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    The clamp without the cutout is from a Carrera Spoiler without the second grille. Your modification is right.

Albinski likes this.
  6. Hannu911

Hannu911 Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    Got it. Thanks!

7. Albinski

Albinski Rookie

Sep 9, 2021
    Bydgoszcz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof Szweda
    Excellent, thanks for clearing this up!

8. pu911

pu911 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2012
    Bozeman, MT
    Full Name:
    Phil Ulrich
    vargas likes this.
  9. Kevin Moodley

Kevin Moodley Rookie

Apr 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kevin Moodley
    I have my 930 for 4 years. Been a very interesting journey, especially finding out all the small differences as Porsche progressed development of the Turbo.
    Ryans book highlights a lot of the changes between the years on the interior.
    I did not see a summary of changes to body panels. Are there any differences between the 3 years?
    I heard somewhere that the front spoiler and valance might be different?
    On the 3.3, I know that the rear valance is different and at some point in the mid 80's the fenders were 1 piece stamped items.

10. pquadrat

pquadrat Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    The black plasic front spoiler changed from MY76 to 77 because of the larger 16" wheels. Also the metal part of the front spoiler changed with this.
    I do not know any other changes, only the mirror changed from 75 to 76.

11. Hannu911

Hannu911 Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    I'm trying to figure out when my early sport seats were made. They don't have a date code like in the picture on page 213 on Ryan's book. He says that there is also another style date code but does not specify what.
    All the 70's and early 80's seat foams I have seen have a six digit code stamped on the foam.
    I'm wondering if the first three digits are year and month.
    On my SC the 101 would match perfectly to the factory date for the car.
    The 307 code on the sport seats would make them one of the very first 74-80 sports seats made.

12. Albinski

Albinski Rookie

Sep 9, 2021
    Bydgoszcz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof Szweda
    Hello turbo freaks.
    Not sure if this is an appropriate channel to post such note - admins pls remove it if it goes beyond of what is allowed

Back in 2019, the 76 turbo carrera #106 was offered for sale on pelican website. See below the link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/1040692-1976-porsche-930-turbo-carrera.html

Does the new owner of this car read this forum time to time or does anyone here know who the new owner is?

There's a funny story here and i am looking to get in touch with ne new owner. The thing is - last year i purchased car #489 from the same guy (posted pics here some time ago). The records book i got with my car, actually belongs to the car #106.
    It seems that when 106 was offered for sale, the seller might have been already in posession of #489.
    That said, perhaps service record books got swapped between cars?
    Well, who knows but for sure it is worth a follow up Image Unavailable, Please Login

Any help is appreciated here!

13. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Our 930 Flachtbau is out getting a new coat of paint and some minor cosmetic touch-ups, we are just counting down the days until we're back on the road!

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

Magnus Walker

cnpapa24 and Tenney like this.
  15. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #8541 werewolf, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    I'm trying to learn everything i can about these wonderful cars ... "cars of wonder" ... from decades ago, from when the world seemed young. Thank you Joe, thank you everyone!

Yeah i'm reading the whole thread. But i have to give "special mention" to the post above, because it helps to prove a thesis i've been developing for years and years: no good car thread is worth a lick of salt, without at least one mention of Hot Wheels :)

16. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Cheers to that! I wholeheartedly agree!

simon930Berlin and werewolf like this.
  17. qvee

qvee Karting

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    #8543 qvee, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022

Muffler question! The 3.0s had an additional pipe for the waste gate! What happens to the routing when an aftermarket muffler is fitted that doesnt have the small pipe ?

Thanks

18. pquadrat

pquadrat Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    It's just not the right part. Use a muffler wich has this port. Letting the pipe from the waste gate just go out into free will reduce boost pressure.

qvee likes this.
  19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  21. qvee

qvee Karting

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    jb21, ross, ralfabco and 3 others like this.
  22. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    @qvee would love to see the interior as well! Do you have a copy of the Turbo 3.0 book?

23. qvee

qvee Karting

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    The seats have been retrimmed albeit the orientation is incorrect as three blue squares should be across the face! Don't have the book yet although have the 2.7 one which is unbelievable

c8spidey, ralfabco and ross like this.
  24. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    No time like the present to order!

qvee likes this.