Exhaust valve control - the opposite way | FerrariChat

Exhaust valve control - the opposite way

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Don Molina, Jan 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Don Molina

Don Molina Rookie

May 18, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I understand that everyone wants their Ferrari to be louder, and I see the valve control modules that are opening up the exhaust at all times to stir emotions.

I actually don't think the 488 needs one, the way the valves are controlled by default is pretty nicely thought out on all modes.

There is only one gripe I have. The exhaust opening above 3k RPM is great for general sporty driving, but I wish it could be deactivated somehow for cruising. At 150kph (around 90mph) in 7th gear, the engine is at around 3k RPM so if I want to cruise above that speed, I have to do it with the exhaust open. If you want to do a long trip in jurisdictions that allow the speed (Germany) or it is generally acceptable and with the flow of traffic (Italy, Greece) this can be a bit annoying.

I understand I am 100% nitpicking here, but does anyone know of a way to override that behaviour? My car has a Capristo valve controller that the previous owner installed, and it works great switching between default and open all the time. Is there any way it can be programmed to be also closed all the time? Besides peace and quiet stealth also has its benefits some times :) Maybe other controllers can do that?

The sales guy at the dealer I got it from actually had told me that the controller switches between always closed and always open, and if I want to go to default I have to turn the car off and on again - but that has not been my experience. So I'm either doing something wrong or he gave me some wrong info.

TIA for any pointers :)

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Mine has 3 settings: always open, always closed, and variable(factory) behavior. You might be able to just get a 4 button remote for your controller

3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    3? How is yours programmed? I can't recall mine off hand, but I think #1 is factory and #2 is always open, never tried #3 and #4 actually. What I did notice as of late, is that it's not opening at all anymore. I wonder if it's simply a weak battery, cause I do get the blue led flash, but no more action.
    What type of battery does it take, it's a very small odd cylindrical one...

4. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I hear ya, on long trips to events, etc (especially on the morning to), I keep her in sport, which only triggers the valves if you lay into it.

5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    My remote has 4 buttons. I think A is always-open, B is always-closed. C and D are the same thing: factory behavior. I might have them mixed up since I have no paperwork so I usually just try them until it seems to be doing what I want :)

6. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Anybody have theirs handy to check the battery size?

7. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    The Capristo doesn't allow force closing the valves. I changed from Capristo to Forza in order to be able to do that. (My mechanic let me know that I could do some harm to the engine if I force close the valves and then drive the car aggressively. Perhaps that why Capristo doesn't support that behavior)

8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    C and D are used to program which setting you want at startup. Valves open or factory.

9. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    The Capristo will open closed valves, but will not close open valves.
    Safer.

10. Phillychoi

Phillychoi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2020
    Lansdale, PA
    My Forza controller has only 2 buttons(A for factory setting B for always open) for my Pista. Is it different from the 488GTB?

11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My 488 valves are open all the time. The car is not loud, it just has a better sound below 3k rpm. With the valves open the car is no where near sounding loud and there is zero drone in the cabin.

Napoli and MANDALAY like this.
  12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Having it closed for long periods of highway driving above 3k rpm is not healthy for the engine, you want the valves to be open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As others said, the Capristo doesn't have the ability to permanently close the valves, but the Forza controller does. Also, as others said, It's a bad idea to leave them closed. It has more back pressure with them closed. Back pressure is good for taking off from a stop (it helps with torque), however when running at higher RPM's, it will build up heat, and probably damage the engine/valves over time.

14. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The Forza has the three modes mentioned above (always open, always closed, factory computer controlled.) The remotes have 4 buttons, but only because Forza uses generic off-the-shelf remotes that happen to have 4 buttons (you can find them on Amazon). A Forza controller set to always closed will do what you're asking for.

15. Don Molina

Don Molina Rookie

May 18, 2015
    Thanks for the insight guys, that's useful and interesting all around. I don't think I'm convinced that closed valves would hurt the engine with cruising speeds of 100-120mph. The car is barely under any significant load, regardless of the RPM due to the gearing. In any case, not a big issue, and since the Capristo doesn't allow the functionality, I'd rather spend the money on gas and tires than swapping it out for something that does.

In any case, it's not that it's annoying or too loud. It's more about being a little stealthier on the highway and maybe making long drives a little easier. On the other hand, this is a good motivator to keep me under 140kph and easily avoid tickets :D

16. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I've done a few hours at a time and what stood out to me was not exhaust sound (in sport), but the poor stereo quality (I think I need to install some forward tweeters to get some kind of imaging) and the lack of cruise control. Also the random people slowing down or speeding up to get a look at the car :)

17. Don Molina

Don Molina Rookie

May 18, 2015
    Between having the car for 3 months, COVID, and a toddler son, I haven't done a big trip yet in the car, but I think in traffic the cruise control's basic control scheme will be the most annoying part. I used to be able to do trips without touching the pedals for miles on end with other cars and conventional stalks or buttons on the steering wheel, but with my Quattroporte and now the 488 I have to fiddle between brake pedal and the rotary knobs. Minor grievances, but there nevertheless.

Basic stereo is basic for sure, but when I saw first hand that the perfect spec doesn't exist when you're hunting second hand so you have to take what you can

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Correct. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Here's the Capristo info, which is the one I have. There is no way to shut the valves.....

Attached Files: