Inconel wrapped headers/manifolds | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Inconel wrapped headers/manifolds

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric in Chicago, Nov 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #51 ShineKen, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    No company is perfect. I can tell you Kline always went out of their way to try to correct any issue I had. I did have an 02 bung snap off right at the welds on a set of Scud Inconel 100 cell cats. But that also had to do with me putting on an 02 extender/fooler whatever you want to call it (to get rid of CEL) on that bung and it was constantly hitting something as the car moved. It was too close to the transmission housing I believe and eventually broke the bung weld off. Outside of that, I don't think it would have just broken off with just the 02 sensor installed. We decided to go straight pipes instead, which is why I had a brand new 100 cell Inconel set of cats for sale, which are now sold.

They sent me a new set of cats with the bung area significantly more reinforced. I sent them back my old cats for them to analyze. I'm sure they are re-welding every cat bung with extra enforcement. Everything else I bought from the is rock solid. Not even close to falling apart. Their valve controller on the other hand needs a whole new revamp or they need to use a different manufacturer (I think China makes it for them) for the units as it is too glitchy. So far, they've sent us 4 units to try. Once again, no company is perfect. How they should be judged is their efforts they make to improve.

Kline is growing rapidly. If their products were disintegrating en masse, you'd hear about it by now.

On a side note, there's about a 10-15% sound difference between straight pipes and 100 cell cats. And surprisingly the straight pipes on a Scud don't smell that bad (unlike on a 355), but the 100 cell cats virtually gets rid of most of the smell.

Flea7 likes this.
  2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

+100 on the remote.
    I went through 2 . For me I found that it was a heat issue. I insulated the wires and used " tig finger" to insulate the module and the problem was solved. But yeah...one shouldn't have to do that.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    We did the best we could insulating everything with your recommendations actually. Now it only works half of time. When you want to run it in stock form, the valve either doesn't open sometimes or flaps (open or close) on it's own. The only time is works is if you run valve open from the start, but that defeats the purpose :)

4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yeah...it doesn't surprise me. My first one was insulated and it didn't operate correctly either. I did look into the forza for a back up but some here said they had the same problems? Everyone has had issues with the kline remote. Oh, my remote placement was up near the window on the right side behind the panel.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I haven't heard of problems with the Forza unit. That's probably the best one on the market. The only thing good about the Kline valve controller is the sophisticated-looking control button conveniently placed on the lighter :). Kline needs to contact Forza and work together to make something special.

Did you see what TTForce did on his Scud regarding the valve controller?

6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Yep, 100% and I've called out in the past Kline/Felix's top notch support to help remedy the issues I had w the scud and FF. But you know @Flea7 seems to have selective memory...

But in regards to your mishap w Kline, I had the same issue and I was NOT using any extender/fooler so...been trying to speak fact this whole time but Flea7 considers it bashing, smh. Makes me wonder what his version of "history" actually looks like in his head lmao.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks, that's really good. I think my Capristo blankets are in the region of 5kg/11lbs.

8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yes, It's made out of inconel and looks great when lit....but they have to function. LOL
    No, What did ttforce do?..his manual scud?

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Then it must be the weight of the 02 sensor (with vibration) causing the breakage. I should have taken a picture of the new cats with the extra welds around the bung. It looks much more reinforced. I met up with the buyer and we opened up the box on the spot. The weld looks good, but of course we won't know with certainty until we try over a lengthy enough period. I probably used that cat for 3-4 years before the bung broke. They sent me a brand new set of cats, which I sold. Everything still worked out fine for me at the end of the day. Just a bit of hassle involved, but that's modding life :).

freshmeat likes this.
  10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yes, the weight of the o2 sensor , especially if you are using mini cats like I did with fabspeed test pipes, they can't hold with heat and the stresses of the vibrations. This is a common fail. I blame myself really..not fabspeed. I re-welded the bung. When inspecting the other side, I can see tiny fracture cracks in the welds.

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Actually, he did it on is F430... not Scud yet I believe, but he had a shop wire up to a button - one of the empty buttons on the control unit on the bottom left side of the dash (left of steering wheel). He just flicks that button to turn the valve open.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/got-a-six-speed-manual-scud.629456/page-14

12. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'll take a look. Mine functions fine now...but you never know.

ShineKen likes this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Forgot to mention he used the Forza system. Just setup the valve control button to have a more discreet OE feel versus having a clunky car alarm looking controller attached to a Ferrari key.

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Have you weighed out Capristo blankets? They've got some weight to them, but 11 lbs would be almost the weight of the OE Scud headers/shields, which I think would also be around 15 lbs.

15. Eric in Chicago

Eric in Chicago Karting

Jul 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Picked up a switch for Forza controller
    Missiles was too long to put on switch

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Performify, Flea7 and ShineKen like this.
  16. ChrisAmon

ChrisAmon Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    I assume Inconel as it has way better high temperature oxidation ...ie rusting...properties than SS. In thin pieces at hi temps that is a real problem. Titanium would also be a good choice but any welding has to be in a purge box which is very onerous. In industrial applications I think TI is cheaper than Inconel...at least Inconel 601.