Anyone regret selling their 430 for 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone regret selling their 430 for 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by carguy007, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    This is the video I was mentioning above. Must see......

Rexcat458 and Sargepug like this.
  2. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Still have 458?

3. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I can just convert the 430 to manual. It's not hard just costly. I think I could even do the work myself.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I've been to many a gathering w/ guys talking converting their auto Ferrari's to manual. You simply cannot lose on your investment to do so, it will make the car much more appealing once you look to sell it and command a lot more than an auto would. I would love one day to see a conversion kit for the 458, I can only imagine how much more insane the last NA and largest V8 Ferrari would be to drive w/ one! Imagine an old skool gated shifter in a 458, WOW!

5. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    yes it’s a keeper. As I was driving it yesterday, I was thinking about how the 458 is my favorite of the 4 different Ferraris I have owned.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  6. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Great! Very cool. So of course you’re going to have to add your thoughts on the Huracan/458.

7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Might trade the Huracan for an F12.

Aside from the manufactured pops and crackles of the exhaust, it lacks soul. The car is so well made that it feels like driving a Lexus (I hope that makes sense). The looks are stunning and exhaust note great, but the driving experience is not the same as driving a Ferrari.

8. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    I had a beautiful F430 for about 3 years. My first F car. I sold it recently for a 458. Tome, the F430 was way more visceral, More of a race car. You felt like you were in a proper Ferrari. Great car to take out on a nice afternoon, but not made for a 2 road trip on crappy roads. Now the 458 is fine for most any road and a long drive is easy. Its almost TO tame on a easy drive. Now if you let it hang out, its definitely more car than the F430. 458=less emotion more performance.For me at least.

Sean Chen and r6elmo like this.
  9. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    These are very interesting comments and love reading everyone’s opinion.

I feel the 458 has more emotion and visceral interaction than a 488, although my time in a 488 was limited.

I have never driven a 430 but given the above comments wonder what I would think about the 430 - 458 comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta

11. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If it’s an M3 vs 430 I think it depends on which M3. I’d drop my F80 in a heartbeat but my 6 speed E90 is my second favorite car.

Loxo likes this.
  12. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    Hi Dave…your 430 is well cared for.It has a roommate 488 Pista.I’m a blessed man and very thankful.I still have your letter regarding buying her back.You are still number one on my list if I decide to let her go. Tony

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

FourFiveGreat likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

What kind of exhaust where u running? Stock on
    Both? I didn’t feel that the 458 was less visceral at all… I prefer my 355 to those as far as rawness but the 458 is just amazing… of course cars improved after the 458 but as far as I’m concerned thé it factor kind of got lost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Nero_Tenebre

Nero_Tenebre Rookie

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Nero
    I have also been considering swapping an F430 for 458 but these are my thoughts as well, though we may have unpopular opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. EhellGuapo

EhellGuapo Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    I have a gated 360 and a 458 and I am happy. I could be happy w just my 360 but not the other way around. Having both has stopped a lot of my endless debating of my garage composition though. I feel like I’ve arrived at two model/specs that straddle the mid engine Ferrari space in a way that I enjoy most.
    The 458 is completely decatted and straight piped and the 360 is a full decat w a Capristo 3.
    The gated 360, w it’s little 5 valve v8, no ediff, aluminum frame and ability to be lightened to around 2800lb w/o destroying the car, is god tier Ferrari to me.
    The 458 is definitely something more. It feels like a true super car once you straight pipe it. The simple fact remains though that no dct box will ever be more fun than a good manual. No turbo better than a great NA and no electric better the an i.c.e.
    Get a gated Ferrari before it’s too late. You have a little more time on the 458 but the only way I would prioritize it is if I couldn’t drive a stick.
    Two auto Ferraris of successive generations is just squandering precious garage space imo. Pick one or the other or find a way to get a little more variety and you’ll have a richer experience in the long run.
    Just my opinion, if you can’t drive a stick then this is all moot. Good luck!

eaurouge_spa and Loxo like this.
  16. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    It's so great to hear from you! I am thrilled your F-430 has a Pista stable mate. I have one too and my F-8 is ready finally for delivery!

17. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    M3 is manual e92 dont worry it is not going anywhere:)

PMiranda and Loxo like this.
  18. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    good feedback. I've missed the opportunity to buy manual 360 when they were less expensive. My wish is to buy back again a 997.1 GT3. Very visceral and enjoyable experience. 458 to me is a great car in it's own right but lacks the race car feel, does have soul, just not race car soul.

EhellGuapo likes this.
  19. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    I just put a factory Ferrari race exhaust on the 430 before I traded it. Not much louder but a way nicer system. Much cleaner and kept the engine compartment so much cooler. I'm looking at doing 200 cell Fabspeed cats on the 458 with the rest factory. Has anyone done the 200 cell cats first?? Seems to me that's where the actual performance is anyway.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The performance in the 458 aftermarket exhaust is ib the headers. The stock log style manifolds are not very good to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. ArtoidF430

ArtoidF430 Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    Had my F430 F1 Spider for 5 years. Loved the visceral sensations. Traded for 2014 458 Spider last year; best decision ever. Regarding reliability, clutch issues, etc., there's no comparison. 458 is practically bulletproof, wonderful to drive, sounds good (though nothing sounds like a 430), has all the tech goodies I need, and is, in my opinion, the epitome of Pininfarina design. I plan to keep the 458 for a long time (who hasn't said that?) and drive it all the time. It has 38K miles already. Shooting for 100K.

luvair, FourFiveGreat, xfrgtr and 2 others like this.
  22. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have owned a 348, 360, 430 and now 458. Out of the four cars, I liked the 360 and the 458 the most.

The 348 was small, had electrical issues and you had to be a circus midget to fit into the driver's seat. The car was loud as it had an aftermarket exhaust that would rattle your teeth fillings on back roads. My neighbor told my wife that he could hear me drive the car for 8-10 miles away.

The 360 was a great car. Affordable, dependable and fun to drive. Out all the cars, it cost me the least to own as I held onto it for over five years. The car was all stock - which I liked. Except for having a leaking windshield washer fluid container - the car never gave me any problems.

The 430 was one of my least favorite cars - mainly due to being a convertible. The car was just not me and I really did not see much difference in the 360 vs the 430 - in performance. I know it has nothing to do with performance, but the convertible top would never seal against the driver's window and you always had a slight breeze against your ear when driving - drove me nuts. The 430 cost me the most as I only owned it a year before trading (and writing a check) for the 458.

The 458 (2011) is my favorite. Modern, has upgrades such as carbon fiber, racing seats and is great to drive. The car handles better and is faster than the 430 (in my opinion). You can still work on the 458 as the engine compartment has plenty of room. Being a newer model than the 430 (to me) makes a big difference. The only problem I have had with the 458 is the damn rear break light. Works perfectly fine, but triggers the dash light saying it is faulty. Hopefully just a loose wire. I will remove the wheel well cover and see if it can be easily fixed.

I am done climbing the Ferrari food chain, as I really like the 458.

Just my 2 cents.

EhellGuapo, Rexcat458 and Loxo like this.
  23. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

As a F430 owner, I'd have to say go with the 458. However, there is plenty good about the F430, and frankly enough to not feel like one has to move to the 458 if it will cause financial strain to do so.

I own an F430 with the F1. I have no issues with the F1, and even though I like driving manual cars, don't really feel like I'd need or want a manual in this car. My only concern is longevity of the clutch, and having to maintain additional parts that could fail as the car ages. If you're going to daily it, there's no doubt the 458 is a more comfortable and dependable car; it's quite docile at low speeds. The F430 feels like an event. Cruising around town, I feel the vibrations, rawness, rumbling engine behind me. The 458 feels like any other car when your cruising.

However, once you get on it, the 458 is insane. Not that the F430 isn't, but the 458 is definitely next level. The screaming revs, shifts, response; it's just awesome, and it happens so quickly. That's also its downside though, as with any newer sports car, it's getting hard to find enough distance to keep yourself in the "fun" bandwidth of the car. In the F430 I usually don't have any trouble enjoying the ride, up and down the rev range.

I regret not buying a 458 when they were only $50k more than the F430's, but in my specific case I don't see the value in spending another $100k to get into a 458. If you've got the means though, go for it! There's a reason that there's a general consensus on the 458 being one of the best Ferrari's of all time, as well as a sure classic.

v35 and Rexcat458 like this.
  24. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    VAF84 well said!!!

VAF84 likes this.
  25. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Is this the first gen Huracan or the Evo?