RumorDudes SF90 impressions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

RumorDudes SF90 impressions

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by RumorDude, Dec 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    It seems low 12v battery. Drive for a good while and recharge 12v and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  2. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    does this car drink the 12v while it is sitting?

3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Yes. Just like any other Fs.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  4. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    $1,000,000 grocery getter!!! I love it.

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Looking good!

7. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    NYC Fred, jpalmito and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Flat tires suck!!

10. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    of2worlds likes this.
  11. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    until the owner comes along I would guess Bianco Fuji?

13. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    it’s Bianco Italia.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    * behind the steering wheel on the right side, there is the usual "next track / previous track" switch. However, next to those, unbeknownst to me until a day ago (yes, three months after receiving the car ?!), I discovered there is actually also another button to the right of that up/down switch. There is a little "dot" nub on it, so you will have some tactile feel there -- pressing that button changes the audio input -- radio/am/fm/usb/bluetooth/apple carplay etc.

* My "passenger" display has been fritzing out. About 1/2 of the time when I turn on the car, this display doesnt come up. Audio etc still works fine; apple carplay still does its thing, but the display is 100% black.

* I have been informed there is a software update available which fixes the above problem, but it apparently takes like 24 hours to install/set up.

* When the car is just sitting there, it will on occasion turn on fans to cool itself. My gym is not too far from where this car is parked at my primary residence and it turned on while I was working out. It scared the crap out of me. Presumably this is to keep the batteries chilled out.

* my insurance company not only required me to install a smoke detector, but also they required it to be monitored by my security company. I was easily able to obtain a certificate from them, but they did need to come out to install "their" smoke alarm. They also have told me that my kids are not allowed to drive this car (despite their track and rally experience).

* there is a little tiny bit in the back of my mind telling me "no wonder ferrari won at bahrain".

* rapidly tapping the 'temp up' or 'temp down' does not instantly respond, but it seems to queue all the taps. so if you are like "hey I want this 3.5c less", you tap it 7x, and it will get there just not right away. There is a little tiny bit of lag with the taps and actual "display" of the temp.

crinoid and of2worlds like this.
  15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    24 hours of labor to install a software update is absolutely insane

NYC Fred and F2003-GA like this.
  16. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I always stop by Ferrari of San Diego since I have a hangar around the corner.

An amazing selection so I’m trying to decide which is most beautiful and I decided on SF90 before knowing what exactly i was looking at. It was the gray color— interesting how low the engine sits.

$999,999

j09333, crinoid and of2worlds like this.
  17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ouch!!

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful car!

Spider68 likes this.
  19. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Alrighty, so now up to about 1500 miles and had a pretty good drive the other day - with nicer weather. However, i noticed a couple interesting things:

* the hybrid mode is actually pretty good. I had been very worried and always was touching the 'performance' mode as i got to like 2 miles in electric. what actually happens is it goes from 2... 1... 0 miles left, then eventually turns into a '--' and turns the engine on. when one is stuck behind the box truck or just in stop-and-go traffic, this is actually quite surprisingly nice - not just for fuel economy, but like it is just smoother and handier.

* as indicated previously, there is an obvious spot on the brake pedal where you are in 'dont use brakes but just do regen' vs a heavier push, where you get actual braking. i have noticed however, that if you are stopped, and you are very gentle on the brake pedal, the dash show the battery is discharging, even though you're not going. [insert thoughts about overheating batteries here].

* the gas tank is small. if you are going for a long drive and you are really whomping on it, you are going to be visiting the gas station a lot. the 458, f12tdf etc all have 22+ gallons. this dude is only 15. so if you are driving normally, in hybrid mode, no issue. but if you are going at it, you are realistically only getting 100-120 miles out of a tank. (my focus rs has a 13ish gallon tank, and only gets ~6 mpg on track. (yeah, 15-20 track laps before you have to tank there!) but this one does drink the juice when you're going at it.

* "key in car" -- i like to share, so i let people check things out regularly and i have noticed that if someone wants to sit in the car, you need to give them the key (or put it in it's proper center console space). if you keep it in your pocket, 9 times out of 10 the alarm ends up going off. maybe there is a magical 'keep the alarm off for reals!' setting, but i haven't found it.

* when using google maps for navigation on an iphone - not apple maps - even with a route programmed in, the 'map' section of the dash display literally just shows an 'up arrow' the whole time, irrespective of what turns you need to make when/where.

20. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks for sharing this info.

21. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Now that you've had some decent seat time with your SF90 would love to know - overall how does the overall drive compare to your magnificent tdf and Speciale? Do you prefer the hybrid setup, and its purported benefits for your type of driving? Or is it unnecessarily complex and fussy compared to the geriatric pure NA simpleton goodness?

Asking because it looks like this is the way Ferrari (and everyone else) is mostly headed whether we like it or not, and uniquely you've got quite a trinity encompassing both eras. Seems like you do a lot of the same type of driving many of us do, but many of us have yet to experience this new hybrid era!

Amazing spec btw!!

NYC Fred and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    oof, now you're asking me to ramble.

yeah, so this is a really hard question to answer, but it is a good one. i've owned a lot of f-cars (and others, including other hybrids), and this one drives unlike any other car i have driven from any marquee. it is way different, but it is different goodness! some of the big noticeable differences -- the torque vectoring, especially on slanted or grooved roads is very noticeable. you will get little jerky twitches when in performance mode. if you drop into eighth gear or run on battery, it magically vanishes. But in performance or qualifying, it gets twitchy. but it is literally just a twitch, not something to correct or react to. feels sort of like you are driving on a rocky road with the wheel moving left and right ever so slightly. another is that the car has instant torques as you would expect from any electric car, in any reasonable gear. even at low, say 2k rpms, if you say 'go', it gives that gratifying "yes, master" instant acceleration. there is no lag, no 'please wait for revs', just "it's go time" zoom. the feeling of acceleration in this car is just ridiculous. the four wheel drive gives it an edge the other ferraris just don't have. this is probably one of those things you need to experience in order to appreciate.

there are a lot of spaceship things. heads up display. touchscreens everywhere. swooshy sounds when you turn it on. dazzling lights that zap when you select manual or reverse drive. super pretty, configurable dash display. a built-in g-meter! c'mon!

the 458 amaziale is a lovely car. it's light and nimble, sounds awesome, super fun to drive and really great. but the gear change paddles feel cheap and flimsy compared to those in the sf90. but it is a drivers car. if you are racing around on the track, the 458s is probably one of the greatest cars to drive for sheer fun and excitement. but it is no sf90. on the normal roads, you're constantly being encouraged to drive like a maniac by a car that wants to stretch it's legs. and it is super fun, but in that sort of 'old school' kind of way. it doesn't have the same level of accessibility. it is a great drivers car, a great car even, but the minimalist approach to everything is completely opposite the sf90.

there is a certain luxury about the sf90 that other cars don't have. and by this, i mean the car has all of the creature comforts you would expect from a standard gt car, but without the 'blob effect' of a gt car. all that at the expense of storage. if you're like me, you're not usually carrying a bunch of crap around anyway, so a giant storage space isn't so important, but having functional ac, a working apple car play, phone you can actually talk to people on, and of course, a car that seems like it wants to help you stay safe along the way -- you don't get that in the amaziale.

the f12tdf is a totally different thing from all other cars. there is no better sounding car ever. and there is no car that seems to want to kill it's master as much. on the wet, glassy surface roads around here, you are kept on your toes everywhere, all the time. the rear steering is so aggressive that just merging on some of the local freeways exercises the traction control systems. the tdf driving experience is provocative and violent. it revs so high and sounds so good, you are when you finally shift to third gear you are doing like 100 mph. it looks wicked. it is wicked. you want to be well rested before you go for a spirited drive in that car.

some of the other f-cars worth mentioning here -- the 550, 360, 430, 328 etc, all nice fun cars, but they're also quirky in a quirky way that makes them feel lesser than these other, more recent models. my only hypercar was an f50 way, way long ago. cars didnt have cool led screens and such, but the dash on that car was futuristic for it's time. it also sounded great - you could hear the oiled chains meshing about under acceleration, but the exhaust note was still nothing like the tdf.

appearance of the car - like many others i personally adore. i think it looks great! plus some of the other quirks things (especially the rear view mirror partly looking through the rear engine cover) is just really awesome when you think of the design and thought for maintaining the low ride height. i have the carbon fiber seats which, while super thin are super sturdy and supportive. they are great and add a different level of excitement. in some ways, driving the car feels like a video game. not just with all the little displays and dashboard display etc, but even the pedals have a slightly "detached" feeling. both the throttle and brake have way way different feel from the tdf and 458s. again, think video game. technonerds like me dont mind it, but i get why some racing driver turned tv celebrity might not like it. again, it's not that these feelings are bad, they are just different. it's more of a video game feeling experience. is the future target to make every car feel more and more like a go cart? or is it leaning more towards sim racing? the sf90 opens the door to answer hat sim racing question, and that's why it is sooooooo different. in the tdf, if you do bad things, it will slap you. the sf90 works with you to fix your stupidity. it's a stupid amount of power and handling, but it's also stupidly accessible. the same kind of accessibility that you get from a video game, where you can explore what happens without really worrying about anything bad happening.

the sf90 is a whole new class of coolness for ferrari. while the interior of the 296 is wholly the same, and maybe even drives like a 'drivers car' with rear wheel drive, i dont think my wife will like it as much. the sf90 is a *pleasant drive*. it sort of embodies that 'you want the lambo as your fling but you marry the ferrari' mentality. it feels good. sure, you dont have the same car control feel that you get in the 458s. i dont think any car is a better drivers car than that, but the sf90 doesn't feel like it is competing to be a 'best drivers car'. it is competing to be 'your best friend while driving'. you really need to drive one to understand what i mean, but it is very different from other cars. it is soft and pleasant through and through - even when you are pushing it... it's still soft and pleasant.

so, is it unnecessarily complex? probably, but it's so well packaged you don't notice or care. is it fussy? they didn't include that word in its vocabulary. it is the antithesis of fussy: it is stoic. once you feel it helping out a bit, you'll quickly learn to trust it. the tdf? not so trustworthy. 458s? that's more about trusting yourself. the sf90 earns your trust quickly and that makes it so easy to enjoy exploring different types of roads just to see how it will help you fix what you didn't know you did wrong -- or didnt know you could actually do.

when you see ferrari taking p1, p2 in f1 races, you get a sense as to why that might be while in this car. it is just that good! i chuckle that the 'super expert reviewer' people didn't give this car high marks, and i know why they didn't. they didn't because this car is just so accessible and wonderfully friendly no matter your level of driving skill (or lack thereof).

1Superleggera, dhlnb, F12JAJ and 6 others like this.
  23. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    ...."the sf90 works with you to fix your stupidity. it's a stupid amount of power and handling, but it's also stupidly accessible. the same kind of accessibility that you get from a video game, where you can explore what happens without really worrying about anything bad happening."

I get what you are saying, but it is remarkable how people keep finding the same ole ways to crash them.

j09333 likes this.
  24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks very much for the in-depth review and comparo!!

I had a tdf for a brief minute and still have my Speciale, so I was very interested to get your thoughts :)

25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent write up- thank you so much for sharing

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.