Wanted - Vintage Ferrari Paint Color Sample Swatch (1970s era) | FerrariChat

Wanted Vintage Ferrari Paint Color Sample Swatch (1970s era)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by dyerhaus, Jan 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    I dropped off my 1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 to have it repainted back to the original color. It was painted red way back in 1989 (decades before I owned it), but in the next several months it will emerge as a green Dino. I'm having it re-badged as a Dino as well (the way it left the factory on March 14, 1975).

It would help my painter a lot if he could see a color chip sample. I know Ferrari color swatch books exist out there, but they are very difficult to come by (and when you do find one, they’re crazy expensive).

I need to find one from the 70s era that has a sample of Verde Pino Metallizzato (106-G-30) - aka Metallic Pine Green.

Unfortunately, we can’t rely on photos because color is always translated differently, and it’s also one of those odd colors that looks different in different lighting. You could find 10 photos of a Ferrari in Verde Pino Metallizzato, and it will look like 10 different shades of green.

My painter said a color chip/swatch would help a lot, so I’m trying to track one down that I could either borrow or buy (if it’s a reasonable price).

Was hoping someone might know someone who might have a 70s era Ferrari color swatch sample book that would be willing to let me borrow or buy it? It’s in several different swatch books of the time period as it wasn’t an exclusive Dino color. I’ve attached an example below.

Any help or leads that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Unless someone lets you borrow one. Get your wallet out! Lol. Hope you can find one.

3. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Something to consider is that it is pretty unlikely that a GT4 got a complete-every-last-trim-and-bolt-off repaint; particularly on the surfaces that are more associated with the "interior" (inner door and trunk surfaces).

As a consequence, it is likely that your paint guy will find a sample of the original color if he just starts pulling some trim parts...

Of course it is a pain to carry a door outside to compare test shots in the sun, but you'll know that you are comparing to the exact right thing (assuming that you care about that level of exactness).

4. Castlemount

Castlemount Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 18, 2020
    Notts, UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    dyerhaus likes this.
  5. Castlemount

Castlemount Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 18, 2020
    Notts, UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  6. Castlemount

Castlemount Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 18, 2020
    Notts, UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  7. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    That's a really cool book, and the color looks correct! However, I was able to obtain one from a source local to me (pure coincidence). Thank you for finding that though, I like it!

8. Castlemount

Castlemount Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 18, 2020
    Notts, UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Excellent - glad you are sorted