The BORA | Page 46 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    To repeat:

...The only number that matters is what the end user had to pay.
    Period.

The rest is conjecture.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So everytime someone sells a Bora via one of these auction houses the seller is agreeing to a 25% discount or the auction house is raising the going price by 25%?

I've only bought once via an auction like this and I wasn't able to get a great price due to chandelier bidding. I finally had to have my representative walk over to Mr. Chandelier and tell him to stop or I was out. He did, I should have done that a lot earlier but I wasn't there.

If it's not a special or spectacular car it seems like an expensive way to sell or buy a car.

3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #1128 italiancars, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    I was in the back offices at a Monterey auction one year after the auction ended. Everyone was celebratory from a successful sale. I asked one of senior people of the auction company, what transpired with the last car that went across the block, a late 70s Merak with high mileage that had some needs. At the time it was probably a 17-19k car max. The car hammered at around 27k.

“Oh that car, well it was owned by the General manager of the venue, as a favor to him they ran it at the end. The GM told them he wanted 27k for it, the house knew it was way to high. So they got a couple of their shills to start bidding against one another hoping to pick up a real buyer in the excitement with the alcohol kicked in.

the shills started trading bids back and forth 18,19,20,21……around 26k a legit bidder hops in apparently to impress his girlfriend, the shills sat on their paddles Hammer comes down SOLD!

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Typical which is why some auction companies have VIP bars ring side sorry auction side...
    The Scottsdale cattle, sorry car auctions are just mind boggling, talk about bamboozling the sheep...

5. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #1130 boralogist, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    Could you please arrange my 9/1987 acquired, near perfect, 2 owner, 1972 factory euro 4.7 Bora w/EZ PS and fully documented 25,000 miles, w/original recent rame metallic bare metal respray, new London UK better than original Connolly black leather interior; new hydraulics, 100 amp Bosch alternator, Setrab oil cooler, Evans custom radiator w/Spals, restored Campaglonos, new Pirelli CNs, new Bosch battery etc etc etc
    to be sold for $499,000.00

Happy to discuss your fees.

Thanks.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    With the current net overhead at about 25% your yield would be $399,000.000. Ask the auction companies if they think they can get that? I bet they'd demand no reserve is you asked $499K.
    Would that be acceptable?

7. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    ;)

8. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    And my ex-Bora sold for a whopping $315,000 !!!! This includes the $5K BaT fee. I know who bought it ... he definitely wanted this car.

Ivan

Ferraripilot and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Wow!
    Ivan, if I'm not wrong, you sold that car on September 2020 for $172.000.
    Nearly doubling in price in 1 1/2 year, very good financial operation for the happy seller...
    Shows that the price trend on Bora's seems to be hot!

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And not just Boras are garnering high prices on BAT. Inflation hedging at work here?

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So much for the lower value of the ugly ass US bumpered cars with the sub par performance and all ...

I admit I'm shocked not only by the amount but the rate of increase is more than a bit disquieting for other much more serious reasons.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Sell your dormant Bora as a barnfind and become a zillionaire;-)

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Does he also own an MC20? I can imagine some owners would want a Bora too as historical reference.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's the zillion Zimbabwe like part that's frightening.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Prior to this for the USA at any rate the $170K range seemed to be getting established for very nice Boras. That cocoon almost zero miles, allegedly, Bora was more and it still had the plastic wrapping on the door panels. I think 1044 is a much nicer looking car, certainly better maintained.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Like everyone else, I’m a bit stunned at the sale price. Is this the highest price paid for a Bora? I can’t remember another one topping 300k.

This appears to have been the Perfect Storm for the Seller. It’s a very nice car that has “Eyes” in a good color for a Bora (things are trending towards period colors). And 2 bidders that really wanted “THAT” car, unlike an event auction we don’t know if alcohol was involved, was it just ****** swinging contest or as Bob suggested underlying current economic reasoning.

I’d think a combination of all 3, with a strong emphasis on the 2nd reason. The underlying current economic conditions may have some influence, but Maseratis are a lagger in that category.

The Next Bora sale (and they’ll be coming out from everywhere now) will tell if this was a true market uptrend or an outlier. I think it’s probably an outlier, but will help solidify the Bora market.

17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Originality plus the unique color combination had a lot to do with it. Having at least two people that really wanted it is what made it all happen. I doubt the next Bora at auction will be able to capture the same magic, unless there is something really unique about that car.
    I do not know if the new owner has a MC20 but he does have a Ghia 450SS which he bought from me on BaT.
    Ivan

18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Took a look at the bidding levels, there were numerous bidders up to 100k. After that it was only 4 bidders up to 175k (approximately what it sold for 18 months ago) when 2 bidders dropped out. Then the swinging began jumping from 190k to 310K in 3 minutes as the auction closed.

19. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes. Exactly.
    That's why it is called an auction;)

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    190 to 310 in three minutes is mighty impressive!
    They realllly wanted it:)

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And I think the point is that the chances of that happening again for a Bora is not that great. Unless another incredible Bora shows up. I've seen a couple in Monterey over the last 10 years but I think the only striking color combination that came close was Werthen's (rip) green gem. Over here it's been the Ghiblis and earlier GTs that have gotten the sort of restorations with very nice colors and quality. Two black Boras as well. Black on a Bora doesn't knock my socks off but that's just me.

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well...all I am going to say is we'll soon find out;-)

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Colors like that on a MC20 would be interesting to see

24. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    There were no factory two tone Bora's, correct? I want to say it was only very late Meraks that had the factory two tone option, and only 7 were made, which was recently confirmed. 4 Nero e Argento (black/silver), 2 Rosso Fuoco e Argento (red/silver), 1 Grugio Ferro e Argento (dark grey/silver).

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I would hope not but maybe someone custom ordered one. Ask Maserati.