Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 32 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Looks awesome! Needs more color! Lol. So beautiful

roma1280 likes this.
  2. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    you could try the textile straps for a more sporty look, the black one from the 5326 or the blue ones from the 6007 or 5470?

roma1280 and SoCal to az like this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. Dress it down to change it up.

roma1280 and Roman456 like this.
  4. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Love the different strap collections! Reminds me of being a kid and changing straps on my plastic Swatch. Some things never change - they just get a lot more expensive. :)

roma1280 and SoCal to az like this.
  5. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    I hate this thread, makes me want to spend money I don't have on watches I can't afford:p :D Kudos gents, wear them in good health.

roma1280 likes this.
  6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    It was fun scrolling through this thread - lots of eye candy! One question: why no vintage? Is it the same as Ferraris, some like the latest others prefer the older models and this is the modern group?
    Sincerely,
    Art S.

7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    For me personally vintage is too small. I like the larger pieces 41/42mm. Vintage is 38mm. Way too small for me. No interest.

8. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    New to Pateks. Only had a pre-owned Calatrava before. Just started my relationship with the local AP and Rolex AD's. Pretty successful so far there. But my local Patek only had a ladies Twenty 4. My wife said not to get it for her just to start my relationship as she would not wear the Twenty 4. Not her cup of tea.
    We only have one local AD here. For you guys who have visited more AD stores, have you seen complication models on display for purchase recently? Of course I would love a 5167A or R and a 5712 or 5726 but just like Rolex hard to get any sport models I am assuming.

9. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    let's not start with the word "collection". If you like watches, try to find one that you really like and start from there. In reality, now it's not a good time to enter into the watch market. All the so called entry level watches (anything steel, anything sports) are extremely hard to get unless you are willing to pay outrageously inflated prices. google therolexforum, that's the best place to learn watches.

pingi3 likes this.
  10. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    PP sports models are 100 times harder to get than any Rolex (except rainbow Daytona). PP produces about 55K watches per year, of which only 20% are sport models, eg, aquanaut and nautilus. Rolex produces about 1.2 - 1.5 million watches per year. They are not in the same league.

11. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Thanks guys. I am aware that getting an aquanaut or nautilus right now is far fetched. That is why I was asking about complication models like 5205 or 5235. Are models such as these readily available at AD's right now? The local AD said that she might be getting in a grand complication that was $130k that I could put my name on. But too expensive for my first Patek.
    I am a glass is half full kind of person. I put in a request for a new AP RO in steel a month ago. Stay tuned. Miracles do happen. ;)

12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Right now everything is impossible to get. Even the less sought after pieces. But hang tight. Looks like prices are dropping big time which indicates that demand is probably not too far behind.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  13. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Yeah I think anyone with any since of economics can see it coming. To what depth is for people above my pay grade.

JCR likes this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    that boat has already sailed approximately 500 years ago...

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Its really sad. I have had a good, no great relationship with my AD who sells Patek and Rolex (amongst others) for close to 15 years, well before the nautilus craze started. In fact I had a 5980 that I sold for 40k in 2016. Talk about an economic blunder. Regardless, I was invited to an all expenses paid trip to Geneva to visit Patek with my AD where Ill be headed in June.

But to see the watch craze what it is today, and see how freaking impossible it has become for most to get a Patek (any Patek) is interesting. I know there are a lot of people who just want the hot new thing and for those people I have no sympathy for. When the Patek craze dies down, they will move on to something else. But the people I feel truly bad for are the true aficionados. They are stuck, unable to get anything.

Im fortunate to have been in this hobby long enough that I know that we will see soon the times where Nautilus could be had for a discount. It wasnt too long ago that was happening. Its a fun hobby made less fun recently but Im glad Im in the game.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  16. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    I personally think Nautilus is hugely undervalued if a steel Daytona is worth $50,000. I agree the entire watch market has gone mad. I have always been a fan of sports watches and owned almost all Nautilus models at some point in the past 7-8 years. I sold my 5711/1A blue at $26,000 cuz it was too dull for me back then and I'm kicking myself ever since. I'm happy that watches I own appreciate in value, but I don't like the fact that this madness has affected how I enjoy my watches. I never intended to treat those watches as investment, but at this level, my watches perform better than my portfolio. LOL

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are SS daytonas really $50K?

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No doubt. Had I bought 50 Aquanuats, better than my portfolio. lol.

I just ignore the hype. I refuse to buy hype and buy a watch that I dont like. I dont like Nautilus. At 40mm, its too small for me. Investment be damned. Ill just stick with watches that I only like and would wear and will only commit to buying those.

fws357 likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yup. I sold mine a few years ago for 16k. lol

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just regular white/black face ones that are a few years old?
    lol

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive never understood the hoopla either...

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    As I age and I get more wise (less stupid?) - Im starting to stick to my plan. Not just with watches, but everything. I refuse to get caught up in the hype of things that I dont like or understand. Whether its cars, or watches, or investments. I know what I like and understand Im gonna stick with it.

I dont like 40mm watches so I sold my Nautilus and Daytona. I love the larger 41/42mm Pateks so I buy those. Im not into the Batman's, or Pepsis etc of the various Rolex variations. I have one Kermit that I use for vacation when I dont want to take my 200k Aquanauts. Thats all I need/want.

Im gonna stick with my plan and not worry about the latest and greatest even if it costs me financially.

Roman456 likes this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats better than a plan, thats good enough to be religion for any collector!

SoCal to az likes this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You have to have some basis for your collection right? I dont want something just because everyone else wants it. Ill add the blue 5968 aquanaut to complete my trio. Ill add a 5270p. That will keep me busy till 2025. :)

ttforcefed likes this.