Dino rip off, need advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino rip off, need advice

Discussion in '206/246' started by DinoSteve, May 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

A lot of the items listed are things to be expected. With a purchase like this, it does not matter how good a friend any recommendation comes from (I've had some of these "great" (truly horrible) recommendations), and/or how 'great' a reputation a dealer or individual has.... getting a PPI done by a knowledgeable independent 3rd party on a car like this is a must. Unfortunately I would not be surprised by any names of those involved. Trust... really depends, and is generally only good when dealing with people you know and have had experience with. I always like to think everyone is going to be straight forward & honest, but time & time again, I find that all too many are not, especially in the collector car industry. One persons 'show ready all restored' is another persons 'driver'... or worse.

With all that said, and the experience... you still have a great car, hopefully there won't be any big nasty surprises (i.e. rust). So once it's all sorted, I expect it will be an absolute joy to own & drive.

strandedpreposition and TTR like this.
  2. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Sounds like your typical 50, 40, 30 or even 20 years old Ferrari...I guess having someone local to the car due a PPI was out of the question?

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ah but you did take a $4xxk chance.

Skippr1999, Samiare, 348KYD and 8 others like this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

5. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    Send me a email or text. 26 pictures

6. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    Money is money (I'n not rich, I'm 'comfortable') but taking any kind of risk with my life!
    btw I'm 71

anunakki likes this.
  7. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I find most of the items on your list kind of rewarding to fix. There is a sense of satisfaction in putting things right again plus you get to know the workings of the car better. I would just take them one at a time and fix them but I would start with new fuel lines first as many collector cars have gone up in flames due to old fuel lines. All problems aside, you own a Dino!

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Have you called the dealer to express your dissatisfaction and have they offered to make it right?

I would get a quote for the repairs from a nearby reliable shop and send the invoice to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grandmaster and DinoSteve like this.
  9. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    Thank you so much for the text and fortunately I'm aware these cars were made from sub par steel. I know it's 1973 technology not 2022. Maybe it was more like 1967 technology. The good news is this car has always been a California car but this Dino was repainted very poorly and it sat in a collection for years with its 77,000 mi. I've inspected all the parts you mentioned and anything that had to be replaced has been or has been attended to. I am currently redoing the Connolly leather multicolor Daytona seats and bolsters. One seat frame is riveted and the other frame is screwed together. Does anybody know about that discrepancy? It's a real nice car but it was advertised that there was nothing wrong with it except the peg insert was missing for the targa top and just the seat inserts needed stitching. He told me just drive it off the truck and go. When we first fired it up after in came off the truck it sounded like a 283 chevy that threw a rod and the driver just looked at me and it was flat bedded to a garage. I had many pictures from the seller but they were deceptive. I bought it by word of mouth from "real Ferrari guys" that hooked me up with a bona fide dealer long time dealer in Florida that had a beautiful Dino from a very reputable dealer from California. It was grossly misrepresented for that price and I'm amazed I would have 22 major and minor things wrong with it. I know any new 50 year old 'almost a Ferrari' Dino will have problems but this is not fair, it's deceptive and its a pretty expensive rip off. ≥≥≥≥≥÷. Twenty-six pictures upon request.
    Further I was told it can be entered in the preservation class because it was repainted in its original color red allowed once. According to Matthias Bartz this car was originally blue.
    I've seen the posts about due diligence. I screwed up, live and learn I'm old and I try to learn something new every day. Don't trust friends and reputations of reputable Ferrari people, they are ALL full of it. (No offense to all of us tifosi that are reading this.)
    I'm very grateful for this Dino it's the G.O.A.T. .... And that includes a 275 GTB/4 I lost in my first divorce. Paid $300,00 and mine was in good shape or it would have been semi-basket case Miles Davis's car.
    I've said more than enough
    Go Leclerc and Sainz and team Scuderia.>>.

10. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Sorry to hear. A similar thing happened to me, but nowhere in the same price range.

The best advice I can give you is that you should take the positives out of this. You have the opportunity to fix up your dream car, mini-project style, so you should take it.

A good fixxer upper project for small issues like this can be extremely rewarding and the end result will be a car you're really happy with. The effort will also really make you bond with your car and fall in love with it all over again. If you have major engine/body issues then that's different, most of these things are fixable and you'll really enjoy yourself getting it all sorted out.

You're 71. Enjoy yourself with a fun project. The money part sucks but you can't let it stain the experience. Any money you put into it you'll have a better chance of getting back than in the share market right now.

As far as being able to afford it goes, well if you've owned any Ferrari's in the past you'll know that the cost of buying them is only the cost of entry to the theme park.

Don't let it make you bitter otherwise you won't be able to stand the sight of it, and that's not right.

11. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed.

On a 50 year old car, get used to fixing stuff. Fwiw…I bought my ‘66 911 at a well known auction house. Everything worked. The car arrived as represented. Two years later, it had been rebuilt bumper to bumper on my nickel.

Grandmaster and DinoSteve like this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    These Dino's where delivered with rot in the rockers from the factory. They were NEVER what people expect them to be. NEVER. Be thankful you have close to 500k to throw away at a toy. Stop complaining and just fix the stupid thing.

It was your mistake to buy it. Your complaints are self inflicted. Sorry to be blunt.

brookliner7, daytonaman, Jedi and 5 others like this.
  13. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

having a bad day?

Il Steeg, DinoSteve and Boomhauer like this.
  14. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    If you paid $400K for a Dino in this market, and it's not a complete restoration candidate, then you got a heck of a deal. Cars that need a full nut-and-bolt restoration are going for mid-300s.

Even if you spend $100K on the car, and from what you're describing, it doesn't need anywhere close to that, you'll still be in the black.

And, the original color is a shade of blue. That adds big value right there.

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Daytona seats ,that's a great start. if the dealer would agree to chip in some $$ towards your journey with the car it would be nice ...reputation is everything so i don't think it would be unreasonable for you to expect a contribution.

Anyhow good luck with it all,you might even decide to return it to the original blue,which blue was it ?

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Keyword: Florida… I bought a testarossa there from the main dealer with a ppi back then and had tons of items missed so I’d definitely recommend a ppi specially for those older cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DinoSteve likes this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Did your Dino come from the same Florida dealer who later sold the Miles Davis 4cam?
    Forza SF, Charles and Carlos.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree, but as long as the dealer remains anonymous then his reputation is not at risk. I’ve never quite understood members complaining about dealers, parts suppliers, service businesses, transport companies, etc., and then not naming them. Aside from everything else, it doesn’t help caution other members to be careful when doing business with that party, which might save others some regret and cost.

fogey1 and Marcel Massini like this.
  19. Jonathan Ellichman

Oct 27, 2019
    Laguna Beach

Really hate hearing this but agree with a lot of the comments here. Do you wanna sell it?

U-Boat Commander likes this.
  20. Ryan90265

Ryan90265 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Buyer's Remorse... It's an annoying phenomenon! Breathe and breathe deeply, all of the items mentioned can be restored / replaced.

paulchua and Island Time like this.
  21. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I once flew from Toledo to Chicago to a Ford dealer that had a Porsche 928 that I wanted. When I got there the car was covered with dirt, with water spots all over the dirt, and it was on the showroom floor. So I borrowed a wet paper towel to lightly wipe some of it off. Turns out the right fender and right side of the car were repainted a different color than the rest of the car. I raised hell with the dealer who immediately showed me another 928. He wouldn't even take me back to the airport. Lessons learned. However, as one post said, fix it and it still will be worth the money, although I really don't the older Ferraris. They are slow, rough riding, and very uncomfortable to drive. I will take the new ones any day. I happen to have a 2020 Portofino with 18,000 miles, a 2019 GTC4Lusso with 25,000 miles, both purchased new, and have a 812 GTS coming. I'm not into investments that never get driven. I'm into driving Ferraris.

22. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I always budget 10% of the buying price for unexpected repairs when I buy a used car. That gets rid of a lot of post purchase stress.

Have the car checked over mechanically. With the deferred maintenance you have described, I worry there are less obvious but more expensive issues to fix.

Once you have that, fix the things you need to actually drive the car and GO HAVE FUN WITH IT! The rest you can improve over time.

PS. I've had my Dino for 38 years. It's brought a lot of joy into my life.

Jet Set Jester and Island Time like this.
  23. Bergman

Bergman Rookie

Aug 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Berg
    Buying a 50yr old car is not like buying new. Have you ever bought a car this old before? Welcome to the world of classic motoring. Just like all the new entrants to the Porsche 911 air-cooled market, they are finding out that the purchase price is the minor part of the equation.

Island Time likes this.
  24. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    I totally agree, but I suspect it's from fear of being sued for defamation.

I don't know what the law is like in the US (though the Depp -v- Heard case is hardly a great advert!) but in the UK there are firms of lawyers that make a very good living from terrorising people in this type of situation with threats of lawsuits and massive legal bills.

25. David246GT

David246GT Rookie

Mar 5, 2019
    Gulf coast of Florida
    Full Name:
    David
    In answer to your question in the initial post about the targa top--flat back, kinda textured iirc. I do not recall ever seeing a gloss black top.