430 - New Battery Arrived. | FerrariChat

430 New Battery Arrived.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Snapshift, May 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    #1 Snapshift, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    I now have what I'd like to think is the solution to the last of my electrical gremlins for now. I had a very expensive scramble of the instrument cluster with an attempted start on a weak battery that is only a year old, and always drops to the bare minimum of 9.5 volts when starting from a fully charged state.
    My son in law (VP of Co) was able to drop ship an Odyssey AGM Extreme ODX AGM34R which is their premium battery. I put a solid state load tester on it out of the box today and was blown away. It is rated at 850 CCA, and it posted 1427 CCA's .It hadn't even charged yet, but read 12.9 V during the test. I think this will be the last battery I will need, and it replaces an Interstate (China) battery H6 AGM. When I get it changed out, I'll charge it and test it for comparison. So far, I think this is the best choice battery for the 430. I maintain the car 24/7 on a CTEK when not driving it. Hopefully this will have all the added reserve capacity that I'll need. FYI
    https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odx-agm34r-battery-34r-pc1500t/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

colorfull likes this.
  2. 74dino246gts

74dino246gts Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Northern California
    It's a tight fit. Hold down rods will need to be replaced with longer ones.

3. 74dino246gts

74dino246gts Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Northern California
    At least it is in a 360, not sure about an F430.

4. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    I switched out to an antigravity battery and shaved 40lbs off the car. I won't go back to AGM ever again.

5. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Holy Molly 49lbs

6. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    It’s a tank, I know. A bear to maneuver into place. The Big interstate AGM H6 took extended rods already when I put that in a year ago and weighed about the same. Lithium antigravity would be nice but I don’t track the car so weight not really a big concern. We’ll see how it goes in a few days. Just passing along my experiences with battery selection that I believe to be one of the best choices in these electronically sensitive cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    I normally always put on trickle charger when I park my car. Over the last month, I decided to see how much drain would be on the battery if I were to leave it off the trickle charger. After 3 weeks, I lost 2%. There is a neat device you can put on it that will give you the charge level of the battery on your phone. I used to be a skeptic of these batteries, but no longer. I went with the Antigravity H6/Group-48 Lithium Car Battery - 60 Ah

Mario Andretti and Snapshift like this.
  8. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Yes I have one of the monitors that Bluetooth to iPhone. Great idea. I think my parasitic draw is an aftermarket stereo that stays on even if battery disconnected with front switch. I’m going to do some testing and may move all add on ground terminals at the battery to a common chassis ground. That way there is no parasitic draw with master disconnect off, but couldn’t leave on charger with battery off unless I move charging cable directly to battery. For now, it is behind drivers seat. The charger can keep up with the parasitic draw so I’ll operate it that way but if battery shut off it will be complete. I don’t know why Ferrari didn’t switch the positive terminal instead like most other vehicles boats airplanes etc with a master cut off switch.

9. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    I put in an Ofyssey AGM48 H6 L3 in the F430 last year. Aleays hook up to a Ctek trickle charger/maintainer while in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I don't know why people don't install the latest generation Lithium batteries.. Antigravity. Light and powerful. Why put that boat anchor in your car.
    I am buying one for my M3 also, after having one in my F430 for a few months now, and successfully surviving a New England winter, with no trickle charging either (no power where it's stored).

11. vmule

vmule Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    The Antigravity H6/Group-48 Lithium Car Battery - 60 Ah I think it's a bit of an overkill, 30Ah should be enough already, 40Ah at most.

12. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Glad your happy with the antigravity. It is fine for your case but it needs special charger/ maintainer that I didn’t need to upgrade. Other than the weight differential and cost differential what are the advantages? Sure are a number of disclaimers associated with its use. Not sure that our 17 yr old charging systems meet the requirements of a Lithium battery. The Oddesy has a demonstrably better resistance to discharge, sustained higher cranking amperage higher amp hrs and a 4 year warranty. It was also a gift from son in law. What if your lithium catches fire? Airlines won’t deliver or allow them. Have seen a few Tesla fires. That may be a possibility. It is a personal choice that I’m satisfied with and has been around a long time. YMMV but I’m glad we have the choices we have.

13. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Yeah, but why ? For 2 extra pounds (1kg!) you get the 60A, and you can have it in T6 format, which is shorter than the H6, and fits better in our cars, with that annoying bar up the top. The 60A will give you that extra insurance over winter, and even if it flattens out, you have the new cool "restart" feature, and your car will still start even if it's flat!

I can't think of a reason to get the boat anchor battery anymore. Fires ?? Are a thing of the past, these have integrated circuits to protect them from overheating and hence fires. this is not made by Samsung :)

I am by no means affiliated with Antigravity, just happy with the product; over and out.

14. vmule

vmule Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    T
    the T6 format is available also for 30Ah
    it seems like an overkill to have a 60Ah to me, more expensive for really no gain... the car will be under tender anyway..

Snapshift likes this.
  15. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    #15 Kent Adams, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    I like to kill it. :D. In all seriousness though, if you have a weak alternator, the car will draw from the battery and keep the ecu's happy, thus why I went with the 60ah, just in case my alternator gets weak at some point. Lastly, when I spoke with the battery people, they recommended at a minimum the 40ah because the 30ah was intended for track cars.