Maserati Khamsin | Page 415 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    -Hi from Portofino Roger:D. Yes a great week, two days here then maybe Friday F1 practice in Monaco. I really needed a holiday I can tell you!

I know the mirrors are different but 1286 was repainted in that color it was on Instagram with numerous posts but they seem to have disappeared. the number plate was French before that.
    1286 is owned by a Frenchman in Milan and he had on French plates...so I do believe it could be this car now properly registered in Italy....but it would be great if it is an unknown! That concours had nice hardware and it is impressive that Mr Angelo Sticchi Damiani, President of the Itailan Automobile club was there in Trieste and not at Villa
    d'Este.

Attached photos: the photo of a photo is when it was still in its original verde pino in about 2010 in Ohio. Long ago it got a superb wooden interior and wheel, not factory but very nice. Then it got a bumper conversion and got painted jade black; black with a hint of green in it (not a factory color). Then there are inspection photos I took in Ohio in April 2013. Then it went to Milan and was in an article and on the cover in Italy.
    Last year or in 2021 it was for sure put back to verde pino, there were lots of photos of the work on IG but again they have vanished.

IN OTHER NEWS

-Here is some nice art, clearly based on the ex Doug Magnon 1046 since only that car is that color AND has those unusual mirrors.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA47ba_pOLg/

-Here a white one in Tokyo looking great; 350.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc2msKSrimR/

-yesterday I met Fabio Colina and the very nice new head of Classiche Christiano Bolzoni at the factory and they were excited about the plans for KHAMSIN CINQUANTA. They are invited for next year June 15-18 and should be there just like when Fabio and Mr Ermanno Cozza attended KHAMSIN QUARANTA in 2012 to judge the cars.
    Mr Cozza is doing decently well but he fell off a ladder and has some cracked ribs, only he would climb a ladder in his eighties, he was lucky to have fallen on his side.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

LightGuy and rga like this.
  2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi all. I was just browsing Bonhams current online auction and I happened across this picture which I hadn’t seen before.
    wonder which car it is.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Perfect for your living room wall Marc!

Cheers. M

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Except it has US bumpers…AAAAAAARGH!

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So who's looking the car's bumpers?

red27 and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #10355 Nembo1777, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Hello Mark, thanks for pointing this out never seen that image before. I wish I was still of the age of a teen wanting this in his room:)

Apparently he did a lot of these exotic car and bikini models posters in period, I thought he was Californian but he is British or Uk based:

http://rickmcbride.co.uk/#about

Regarding white US Khamsins with black interiors there were only half a dozen or so.

I might bid on this...!

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  7. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I see that Classic and Sportscar magazine in the UK will do a Khamsin feature in their next issue. Hope it is a proper and accurate job.
    M

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Mark, thanks for the mention, I hope they did not pick an automatic. What color is it and if visible what is the number plate? I should then be able to identify it.

9. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Will check Marc. It was a small picture but the car was dark coloured…

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Here it is Marc. 2EFM is the registration. the DVLA here in the UK has it listed as red, although that looks like it could be luci del bosco to me.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #10361 Nembo1777, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Many thanks Mark!

That is AM120-337 which did spend years in red but was originally Luci del bosco with an amazing green interior. It was the demonstrator of then UK importer Mario Tozzi Condivi of MTC cars when new with his famous Mario number plate and the actual car on the famous Autocar magazine cover.

It was also used for a fashion shoot at the time.

During its restoration Andy Heywood and his colleagues found bits of the characteristic green leather deep in the seats and were able to bring it back to original colors. It is very striking in person.

Some photos by the talented team of Rutger Jan Cleiren and cameraman Kasper Mols when we visited during the making of the Classiche Masters book in April 2019.

Here is a small video about 337 we did that day:

And yes it is a 5 speed, for some reason Classic & Sports Car have tested almost only silver automatics in the last thirty years except for one great article by Mick Walsh in 445, Rame Metalizzato, many years ago where he drove it up to Scotland. Let's see whether this article is as good as it can be.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yowsir that's some green! What did they do, drive it by the Lamborghini factory for interior trimming! ;) :p

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Pretty wild right?:) That is what pushed a long time owner to redo the interior in tan which is ok but to have gone for plain red was a pity. It looks fabulous in person!

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The same exact scenario happened with this car. Very similar colors and it was a low mileage very original example that probably should have been preserved. Instead the new owner completely restored the car and did a fantastic job of it too.

But the interior was originally green very much like that Khamsin. Both Gandini creations.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    If I remember correctly there was an Indy with a very similar green interior at the Centennial in Modena.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    ... interesting story and nice work at 337!

But I am still wondering regarding the lime-greenish interior color. Neither the article foto of AUTOCAR magazine nor the remaining sample that Andy holds in his hands look matching the new lime-green interior. The foto of AUTOCAR is represent even in the shades of green, which is proven by the green grass in the foreground.

I would be interested to see a picture of the old remaining sample laying on the new leather. In addition the new leather looks like Nappa finish and not crushed like the original PAC quality.

At least what I experienced and what I have to admit is that the so called "bianco" PAC 1544 was never white and came out differently: very often crema, sometimes more nuances of grey, sometimes more nuances of greenish (not discolored by LHM, just to prevent that discussion ... ).

Best,
    ME

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello I hope you are well.

I just looked though all my old magazine issues with period Khamsin test drives, I have about sixty from at least three continents but could not find that issue even though I have it somewhere. IIRC all inside photos are black and white...yes it does look lighter less eye popping but the cover is very pale compared to true colors and the light very low, typical UK overcast weather.

There is one on Ebay now if you are curious:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134140756840?hash=item1f3b698368:g:0qQAAOxyhoBSUArC

You may want to contact Andy but he is a perfectionist he matched it as closely as he could.
    Yes as you say there were some very Italian surprises in the colors but that is all part of the charm of it:)

19. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Curious has anyone ever opened the US spec Thermal Reactors? What type of obstruction is inside.

MK1044 likes this.
  20. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I don't know about the Khamsin specifically, but I recall from American engines circa 1974, an air pump forced Oxygen into the exhaust manifolds to encourage further combustion of the exhaust gases. Although this would not provide power to propel the car, it would clean the exhaust gas a bit. When I became aware of the odd looking exhaust manifolds on some Maserati V8's, I assumed it was the same kind of thing but the owners had removed the pumps and plugged the manifold ports.

Or, maybe not. :rolleyes:

21. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    The US Bora had air injection into the exhaust manifolds and the result was some of the cleanest exhaust numbers in the country without catalytic converters but it caused havoc with the exhaust headers. I was always getting mine welded up due to the extremely high temperatures this process generated which cracked the welds. The headers literally glowed cherry red after extended normal driving. It was a short term solution to a long term problem.

MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #10372 Nembo1777, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Here on the left is what a pair these US market thermal headers aberrations look like.

They completely strangle the engine and also give the sound a cavernous note, whereas normal Khamsins sound much "lighter".

Since south Florida had no challenging twisty roads as it is flat as a pancake and has the youngest road network of anywhere in the western world (120 years or less) so consequently the roads are all hopelessly straight.
    That meant that when I had my K there I could not go for spirited drives so instead I would go out in the Everglades to a remote road with no intersections, grass cut short so you could see if a gator was about to cross.
    I saw top speed about 28 times through the years but of course only for a few seconds each time...but that was enough for the heat in those headers to get so high that it would heat up the engine heads as well and you would see the water temp shoot up ten degrees Celsius in moments.

A German enthusiast and an engineer took his US automatic Khamsin to the Autobahn for a top speed run in 2009 and were shocked by how those headers just prevent any performance and of course the US automatic with its shorter top gear and also the US shorter differential is about 50kph slower in top speed than a Euro 5 speed K.

I can only recommend getting Euro headers if your US K still has the thermal ones imposed by the US bureaucracy, here in comparison is a photo of one Euro header taken fairly recently by an owner, can't recall who, sorry and thanks for the photo.

As Joe mentions the heat would cause cracks in the headers which would cause exhaust fumes to enter the cockpit...so the anti pollution government zealots indirectly worsened the very situation they were trying to tamper with.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I put Euro headers on #1226 back in the late 80s. (Kept the Thermal Reactors). The issue is I purchased them from MIE which turns out were an aftermarket build. They hang way too low and bottom very easily, so it’s either buying NOS headers, or modifying the MIE headers. Curious what’s inside the Thermal Reactors, do the 4 down pipes just “dump” exhaust into the canister type housing or is each pipe “collected” and controlled inside the “canister”.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Why don't you perform an exhaust Voodoo ceremony/exorcism/autopsy;-) and cut them open to discover what's inside and show us? After all nobody in their right mind would put them back on....

25. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    actually have a Bore Scope, so hopefully won’t have to cut them open.

Nembo1777 likes this.