360 Manual Conversions - New info? | FerrariChat

360 Manual Conversions - New info?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Vantage007, Jun 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Hey all,

Looking to scavenge/source parts for a gated manual conversion for a 2000 360 F1. I understand EAG USA does these professionally, however I am hearing a bunch of horror stories about them.

I have a competent Ferrari tech who is happy to do the swap over the winter, so right now I'm trying to make sure I have ample time to get everything I need ready.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any resources to buy entire kits or is it worth shopping the used market. I've bookmarked a couple of old FChat threads outlining how-tos and information to keep in mind.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This topic is an interesting one. There is alot of information on this in the thread. I know it can be challenging to source it out.

In brief: It's not the install.. it's the parts to do it.
    1) Parts are simply no longer made. Key parts such as the shift turret and shift cable holder are not available anymore from the parts suppliers.
    2) Good luck finding a manual car that has been in an accident. There are many in line who have already put deposits or paid for parts from the wreckers and when one comes in they get the parts. They will be waiting a very long time.
    3) EAG USA or normal supercar guy may be the only resource for the parts to have a conversion done in the near future.
    4) There have been a few people on this site who are trying to create a kit.. as far as I know they are in testing as of this writing.

3. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    The "horror" stories are BS. No one is unhappy with their actual conversion, some are unhappy with EAG for other reasons, but no one has said the conversion wasn't exactly what they wanted.

Zed82, robertjskelton and one4torque like this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Drive a gated car if you are on the fence… I bet it throws you over the fence!

5. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    I'm not on the fence - just happened to have come across an extremely perfect car that ticks off all the right boxes, but is F1. I've driven manual examples but have no extended seat time in an F1 360. I have the resources to have the swap done right, so figured I might as well take advantage of it as a marketing tool for my Ferrari tech.

vrsurgeon, LorenzoR and one4torque like this.
  6. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Also a huge thank you to @LorenzoR for reaching out; truly appreciate your wealth of knowledge and help with this project!

7. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I had a good experience with EAG on my swap.

ryalex likes this.
  8. romeo7

romeo7 Rookie

Oct 13, 2020
    I am also interested to see if there are any new resources for buying an entire kit (other than those currently in testing). Sourcing second hand parts for a manual conversion is very difficult from what I have seen to date.

9. Schloe

Schloe Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2022
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    yeah i've got a 99 F1 that needs a conversion someday. would like to do it in my own garage at some point with a kit. hopefully that's an option within the next year or two.

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    An interesting auction on BaT just concluded for a converted Modena. The final bid was below the reserve and the auction failed. The car looked like it should command a decent price being at 10k miles and nicely optioned but the conversion didn't boost the price much at all. This car was probably $100k value as a functioning F1 so with the current AIG price of $35k for the conversion, it would need to go for $135 just to break even. Then there's the months wait while your car sits in a back lot waiting its turn.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-360-modena-38/

So before deciding on doing a conversion, you might ask yourself why? Is it to increase the value of your car or because you want the amazing driving experience of a gated 360?

67bmer and robertjskelton like this.
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1

If you search my posts ..you will see that I predicted that a conversion will not be a good investment ..unless you must have a stick .. I think i even posted it in a converted Scud

One day the f1 will surpass a converted car

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

EastMemphis likes this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the jury is still out on the investment value. A lot depends on how aggressive the converters are. If they suck in a large number of F1's, they'll likely be a glut of converted cars and as you predicted, the F1's might start to eclipse the conversions. If that auction is any indication, the conversion for profit group might just have lost a testicle deep inside their body cavity.

OrmondStar and flash32 like this.
  13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

All good points. With the feedback I'm getting people are having problems with their F1 systems and are sick of it and they want to convert. I've had 2 people call me within the last 4 days. I myself converted my personnal cars because I didn't want F1 issues and I like shifting anyways. With that said people have called me fumming saying their car has been tied up over a year let alone months.

brogenville and flash32 like this.
  14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Honestly the F1 system is not that complex.. just need good diag and of course good prices on parts

Rifledriver and AandSC like this.
  15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I believe the dct system is much more complex

Like everything in life ..it all comes down to the professional who is working on item..be it your F1 system , heart or brain or prostrate lol

Rifledriver likes this.
  16. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Very true it's not complex. However when it breaks it breaks and you're on the side of the road And getting it fixed is not that cheap

flash32 likes this.
  17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I agree about side of road ..i do believe it gives you enough heads up to an issue if the driver pays attention..of course a hose busting excluded

Rifledriver likes this.
  18. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Well I'm not so sure Maybe so. Sure does put you in a panic mode though Many have sat on the side of the road. Not to derail the thread but it happened to me once. Anyway I say it's everybody's personal Decision

flash32 likes this.
  19. Schloe

Schloe Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2022
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    Lorenzo aren't you converting a 360 right now? how's it going?

20. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    One thing about F1 reliability and conversions. There's going to be a heck of a lot of parts available. That should allow F1 cars to have spares for years, and those spares are going to be less expensive. Plus with a sizable percentage of F1's converted, there should be a lot less F1's around and they will probalby run just fine. Conversions should be good for the F1 market in many ways.

Rifledriver and flash32 like this.
  21. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

No not for another month or so. Everything on hold due to foot surgery

22. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    I think its true that the investment value is still out, but it is notable that a converted F430 Spider sold for $200k recently. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ferrari-f430-spider-35/

23. Lee Marks

Lee Marks Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Lee F Marks
    Having driven a gated and F1 360, I don’t see why anyone would pay EAG 30k to go slower!?!?
    Plus at the end of the day, the VIN still indicates an F1 car.

Philipnz likes this.
  24. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    I can't speak about the 360, but my converted 430 is faster now than it was as an F1 because of the tune on the car done by 360Trev.

25. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I cannot see that a converted 360 is ever likely to return the investment in the conversion. There were plenty of manual cars made and I can't imagine anyone would choose a converted car over a Factory original manual and, because of the numbers, the price differential between F1 and manual isn't that great anyway.