Best Headset? | FerrariChat

Best Headset?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jaguar36, Jun 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I've just starting doing my flight training to get my PPL. Something I've wanted to do since I was a kid!

I've got a couple flights now, and have just been borrowing a headset, but I need to get my own. Does anyone have any recommendations? The Bose A20 seem like the most popular, but I don't really like Bose. I was thinking of getting the David Clark DC One-X, but they are out of stock everywhere. I'm also wondering if I should bother getting an Active Noise Canceling one, or just get a cheaper passive one for now. I'd rather just buy a good one now, rather than end up not being happy with a passive one and buying a better one later. However, it occurs to me though that eventually it might be nice to have second headset if I end up flying with the wife.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I really like Lightspeed headsets. I own a bunch of them, and have used them for years. I will say, it does make a big difference.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've had DC, Bose, and Lightspeed. The odd thing I found was that they performed differently depending on aircraft. The Lightspeed was wonderful in the Mooney, but the Bose was better in the C-180. I think the different harmonics and frequencies of the prop and structure had an impact and the headsets were possible designed to different criteria. If possible try out different brands in the aircraft you'll be spending the most time in. Note: The DC's I had were older (late 90's) and surpassed by the newer Bose and Lightspeed. Not sure how the DC compare now.

4. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I have the Bose A20, haven't had another. The only issue I encountered during flight training in a Cessna 172 was that with the noise reduction on I could not hear the stall reed. When I was doing stall training I did not pick up the warning for many training flights and the instructor was also wondering why I wasn't hearing the warning. I thought maybe my tonal for the reed stall range was defective. Then the next flight I decided to turn off the noise reduction and then suddenly I could hear the stall warning perfectly. Is this just my pair that cancels out that frequency range when the noise reduction is on? I don't know, but this was my experience. Other than that, I really like the A20, but I have not used another set.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I always liked the Gosport.

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  6. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    humm, 67 years since I used one...

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob, Admiral- That one predates even me. T-29C/D with P&W R2800s for nav and EWO school, though. Actually had an intercom system.

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have to come clean and admit that I never used one although they were in some of the airplanes that I flew. In the Stearmans and Travel Aires we just yelled back and forth at one another. Just like at home now.

ddrewesusa likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I can relate to that since neither Jan's nor my hearing are what they used to be. And I wore earplugs under my helmet, too.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Judy and I hear just fine, we have to make strong points some times but not too strong. Of all the radials behind which I have flown, the worst racket came from the Wright J-4 and J-5 with straight stacks. Sharper and louder than any of the Continentals or Lycomings of similar displacement. Even an R 985 is quieter.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Get a noise cancelling now, your hearing just gets worse and worse it will never improve from what it is today. Loud noise is cumulative and adds up every time you are exposed to it. The DC1X was great in the 757/767 but you need a full over the ear style for flying light planes. For a C170 the Bose works great. I still wear earplugs with the Bose even though it has noise cancelling.