Adding LED steering wheel | FerrariChat

Adding LED steering wheel

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Allen F, Apr 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Hi there,

I purchased a 458 withOUT the LED steering wheel. I called my local dealer to verify if a wheel could be replaced (upgraded) to LED, I was told "no problem you'll just need a software flash after the new wheel is installed". Ok, cool - I thought! I purchased a new old-stock factory wheel (not cheap, lol) and the dealer just clarified that the software file costs $2,500 just for the file download from Ferrari plus an hour labor.

So, now is the question ... are there any other sources to get the software I need to make an LED steering wheel work?

Thanks!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Wasn't there a thread about someone doing this in the 458 section ? It could have been they were ok with the software cost but I can't recall the details

3. OffsetImage

OffsetImage Rookie

Apr 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Spence Haldren
    Ferrari can charge whatever they feel necessary for the updated file, its definitely not cheap but about 2000-2500 sounds right for one that I have done before. If you buy the wheel through the dealer they can program it for free, there are also some aftermarket shops that specialize in Ferrari that can install the new PROXI file for $500 or so. Might do better calling around to smaller service centers to see if they have the ability to do it for you.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't have a newer Ferrari that needs to connect to the server in Italy for updates, but given that you do, you should probably just pay the $2,500 and call it a day. The last thing I would want is some bootlegged one bricking my car.

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    There are no other options. I have had this discussion with a client already and he had to pay the dealer for the proxi file update and an hour to install it. That is just t he way it is with the newer cars now.

6. ADINEEN

ADINEEN Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    ANDREW DINEEN
    Sell your car and buy one of the 96% that have the LED steering wheel

7. dbosada

dbosada Rookie

Jun 17, 2021
    Austin
    Full Name:
    David Bosada
    so,....i have been like crazy chasing someone here in Austin. i purchased the new LED wheel for my gtc4 lusso in poland. Ferrari installed it but the factory has denied to proxy the wheel. its ridiculous?. What can i do?

8. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    This is easy to resolve. Ferraris dealer supplied scan tools do not let you into the Proxi file to make adjustments and will sell you a file. There are several aftermarket options that will let you into the proxi file stored in the Body module and cluster and you can make that change similar to coding options on many German cars. Same can be done for cruise control, seat options and even carbon or steel brakes on cars that had the option. Find someone knowledgeable with a Leonardo. We add the steering wheels and cruise control often.

9. dbosada

dbosada Rookie

Jun 17, 2021
    Austin
    Full Name:
    David Bosada
    Want to come to Austin for a weekend and make some money? Lol

10. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have worked with the Galileo which is a portable Leonardo and so far, I have not been able to modify a Proxi file with there software. I am not aware on any aftermarket unit that will allow this. I am very interested in finding a way to do this if someone knows how it is done. Always ready to learn new stuff.

11. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    never used a Galileo and I do not know the capabilities but I have used the Leonardo to change the proxi on 458 for cruise control, LED steering wheel and changing out from sport seats to power seats. Many of those functions are only available with a current license.

f355spider likes this.
  12. Mechanicrene

Mechanicrene Rookie

Aug 8, 2022
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Rene Lucero
    Hello sir, wanted to know if you could help me out. We have a 488 GTB that came in with the steering wheel LEDs not working with the RPMs. We have the Leo with a current license but we are still unable to get them to work while driving. Do I have to upload a new proxi file to the car?

tfos750 likes this.
  13. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    You will need to go into Proxi file and change the LED parameter from absent to present. It will be in Body module or instrument cluster. You will need a proxi alignment after that. Leonardo will let you into the proxi for modification.