FOW | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    FOW changed hands a few years ago and the new owners brought back track days and events.

Hopefully these owners are focused on more than selling cars.

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    large multi franchise dealer groups usually aren’t.

LARRYH, pilotoCS, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    The small boutique Ferrari dealerships are a thing of the past. Ever since Bob Segal sold Algar it was evident that these auto aficionados were a dying breed. It’s all about the bottom line now
    Sad but true. I hope Ron Tonkin won’t be next.
    Luckily Algar’s new owner, Bob DiStanislao
    Is a true car guy and good things are yet to come .
    He should of been the new owner years ago when Bob Segal sold but Ferrari politics prevailed at the time

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    gt1995 likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just FoW and from what I know they got more for that dealership than what they bought the 4 for.

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    interesting but wonder why....

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They all for for roughly $80m and sold FoW for $ $100m. Kind of a no brainer if it were me.

LARRYH likes this.
  8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    yeah definitely a no brainer interesting hard to believe it is worth that but what the heck

Gh21631 likes this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree, especially considering they didn't own the property.

LARRYH likes this.
  10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    kind of like to see some documentation on that sell price. Paying a premium for a Ferrari franchise is not unheard of, but that is way beyond rational justification, Mega dealer groups tend to be all about dollars and cents not massively overpaying especially not including the land. Maybe to move it out near Moore Cadillac?

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The existing dealership recently had a very nice renovation done which I doubt they leave anytime soon. In regards to the sale amounts, I can't give anymore detail.

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    not that nice(ie 100mm)... but if they did not buy the RE hopefully they have a long term lease.. I suspect it was a way for the non US dealership group to get a foot hold in the USA which maybe worth it.. as the dealership is about 10 miles from DC and has some influential customers.... I guess....

ROMO and Gh21631 like this.
  13. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    SweetJeebus it's been 18 years since I worked there...

So much was cut out of the initial design of that building to make the move happen from FOW Origin. Pretty much everything but Allie's office had some sort of cut or elimination to make the move work. Obviously was a viable business for a while, but is a far cry from what was on the first blueprints.

The visual of the place is GREAT from 28, but getting in there anymore, the area development, and the lack of event space/parking, etc isn't. Would not surprise me if they moved and another marque took it. Not sure they care about the renovation $ another company spent.(?)

E60 M5 likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The problem is that they are committed to a very expensive lease and they aren't getting out of it without paying. I don't remember the exact cost but it is ridiculous for that location. I doubt another dealer will take over at that level and the LL has no reason to let them out.

LARRYH likes this.
  15. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The future doesn't exactly look rosey for car dealers.

LARRYH and E60 M5 like this.
  16. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    They really need to get more loaners. Only 5 loaners available but always 20+ cars there for service at any given time.

17. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    So if you invest $100 million in buying a Ferrari dealership……exactly how do you make that back selling and servicing cars?

$1,000 per hour labor rate?
    20% buyer premiums?
    500% markup on parts?

Just servicing the debt on $100 million is more than FOW makes annually.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Like many dealers they also kill it on the trade in, low ball the trade and sell for a taste profit.
    Agreed that's a lot of merchandise to sell, I can't see it being profitable either.

19. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    The company that bought the dealership isn't some new company. They are the largest dealership owner in Canada and are privately held. I'm sure they plan on expanding into the US and Ferrari of Washington is a trophy store as much as many don't like it or have issues with the way they do business. Its in like the Top 3 every year of Ferrari Dealerships and with it being the only Ferrari store to service MD/VA/DC its probably the one to pay up for. Especially with the amount of government money around here. One in New York sold for like $65 Million last year and there are at least 3 stores in NY. Look how many Ferrari stores are in Florida and California. Also, I'm sure the recent renovations added to the price as well. It may not make sense to us(me included) but it makes sense to the people writing the check and they know a lot more than me about owning/running a dealership.

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
  21. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    They’ve got a 328 in the showroom that they probably paid $50k for, and now asking $200k. That’s how, ha.

E60 M5 likes this.
  22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I was gonna say, they must be killing it on 348 Spiders. They have 2 listed for over $100K.