Weight Lifting techniques and tips | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Weight Lifting techniques and tips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skidkid, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I was referring to triceps french press aka skull crushers; not bench presses.

I might do a separate post about important pointers for weight training. Pointers everyone knows and understands yet no one actually does….
    The human mind is a wonderfull emotional mess.

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Just found this thread, cool stuff!

Have any of you done 5-3-1 for strength? I did it for about 6 months one year ago and PR’d every lift. I really liked that program for strength and applied it to some power lifts as well. At first it feels light on volume but it worked great for me. Going to start it up again and see what happens.

Been focusing more on metcons but I’m now back to lifting in the morning then metcon in the evening.

Maximus1973 likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Fair call. I am actually just below the shoulder and you may not be able to tell in the video but the grip is vertical (not horizontal). The vertical grip doesn't let you use nearly as much rear delt as it would appear.

Maximus1973 and Gh21631 like this.
  4. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Vertical grip does indeed activate more back vs horizontal more rear delt, traps and upper back.

Skidkid likes this.
  5. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    More or less, yes it is indeed a great plan that is geared towards strength. Muscle growth is a side effect.
    With age, I notice that aiming for strength seems to become too much risk vs reward.
    I’d rather aim for muscle growth/maintenance/fitness than vs strength.
    I’ve got nothing to prove anymore to the guys in the gym or myself.
    I’d like to keep my joints relatively healthy.
    too many (waaaay too many!) older weight lifters are completely banged up.
    Not worth it.
    There are no gold medals for best bench presser in the gym; there will always be another mofo stronger than you.

Have a look at Larry Wheels; he also looks the part.
    But be amazing with John Haak; whom looks ‘ okay-ish’ but warms up with Superman type weights.

Thecadster and Skidkid like this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I agree. At almost 52 I’m not looking to break any records. I do still enjoy pushing my limits occasionally and nothing feels better sometimes than lifting heavy ****. :)

I get bored easily so simply training for aesthetics isn’t my thing too much. I do prefer to look muscular but it always comes second to being fit and fast. Keeping any size is tough for me with my level of cardio but I’m not ready to slow down just yet. It’s too much fun running circles around the young gym bros right now. :)

Maximus1973 likes this.
  7. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    So many things you can do with weightlifting to keep your self entertained, things like challenge sets, drop sets, high interval weight training, rest pauze, 10 second rest breaks, etc.. Speed is also a by product of strength as well. Moving fast also means being explosive; you ca rain for that too.
    But yeah, showing the young guys how it’s done is often very much fun!
    Especially when dealing with inflated ego’s or those suffering from extreme ILS!

HotShoe and Skidkid like this.
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I do most of those and almost every session we are using one or more of them. I don't think I have done the same workout even one time in the past 3-4 years.

Maximus1973 likes this.
  9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I also use alot of those techniques to create muscle confusion. I really enjoy tempo lifting and varying time under tension as well.

Skidkid and Maximus1973 like this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sometimes after heavy bicep we drop set to what I call 555s (don't know the real name). Go pretty light, hold dumbbells at 90 degrees (never let them hang down, even when they are not the active arm), work 1 arm 5 reps on the lower half of the curl motion, other arm 5 lower half, 1st arm 5 upper half, 2nd arm 5 upper half, 1st arm 5 full curls, 2nd arm 5 full curls. Move slowly and deliberately. Holding them at 90 when not in use keeps time under tension the hole exercise. It gives you a wicked pump.

plastique999, Maximus1973 and HotShoe like this.
  11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    That’s one of my favorite finishers as well.

Maximus1973 and Skidkid like this.
  12. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Try doing as a finisher 10 full range reps wit ha weight you can curl for aprox 15-20 reps.
    Do 10 reps, set the weight down and rest 10 sec do again 4 more times.
    Although this may sound like a finisher I typically use this technique to start biceps training. Great way to ge the blood flowing!

Skidkid and HotShoe like this.
  13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Any recommendations for rear delts? Mine are out of proportion to the rest of my shoulder.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Cable cross, pendlay rows, face pulls, ... the list is very long.

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    For finishers we often do drop sets where we keep moving down a couple of pins at a time so the rep counts gets ridiculous but at the end the pump is amazing. OR we do as you describe, THEN jump back to a very heavy weight for 3-5 more, then to super light for amrap.

I generally start relatively light for warmup and use higher reps. We work our way up and warmup takes me 15-20 min to hit full stride. Too may injuries, tendinitis, torn bicep, etc. over the years. Not to mention that I am not 20 any longer (over 60).

plastique999 likes this.
  16. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Start your shoulder workout with rear delts and keep the volume high. Rear delts are overlooked by 99% of lifters. However they do wonders for your appearance and performance. Try doing at least 3 sets with 15-25 reps. Reverse pec deck is a great exercise.

Try to focus A LOT when doing rear delts as your traps are many times stronger and thus easy take over.

The late John Meadows is renowned for making rear delt training important again, I’ll let him explain:

HotShoe and Skidkid like this.
  17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Maximus is correct about defaulting to the traps. Position of the hands, more toward the head or toward the waist, plays a big role in helping you feel and focus on the correct muscles. Rotation of the hand also has a significant impact. Use light weight like a 5lb and try the motions; feel for activation of the correct muscles. If you are training with someone, have them touch the muscle you want to activate, it will will help you focus on that muscle.

18. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thanks! Going to try this today. Still sore from doing Gunny on Friday but I’ll work it in.

19. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Curious, how many sets and reps do you do per muscle group?

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    HUM? Hard question and it depends if we are doing a volume day or pushing near (or for a new) PR. I will try to keep track of a workout and post everything I did; that will probably be more informative.

21. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
  22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Last night we hit deadlifts. Sent up 275. It was a little slow at one point and when viewed by frames you can see that my hips got a bit too high. I could feel it during the lift so I lowered them slightly and leaned back to keep it in the glutes where it belongs. Then it went up smoothly. Arguably, I could have pulled the shoulders back a bit more on this lift too but given I didn't crown over it is more of a nit than big issue. The 260 before this lift flew up because the form was tighter.

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Maximus, to your earlier Q. Last night was light on volume since we were hitting my PR numbers. I warm up a bit slowly and my left knee has to be warmed up or it is prone to injury. We did the below in 1 hour. That is a lot slower than I usually lift when we are doing volume. I will post one of those soon.

Notation I used: weight x reps x sets
    BW = Body Weight

Warmup working these in circuits:
    Squats BW x 10 x 2

Leg extensions 80 x 15 x 3
    Bulgarian lunges BW x 10 x 3

Curtsy lunge BW x 10 x 3
    Leg press 80 x 10 x 2

Deadlift action:
    135 x 10 x 2 (finishing the warmup)
    165 x 6
    185 x 5
    205 x 2
    225 x 1
    245 x 1
    260 x 1
    275 x 1

I am missing something in the warmup section but it doesn’t change the total much. We generally do more after the main lift but ran out of time.

HotShoe likes this.
  24. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I’ve been focusing on four sets at 8-12 reps but I do every set to failure. If I can get 12+ I go up in weight the next set. I have to get at least 8 reps minimum though or I’ll drop the weight.

Key for me is constantly pushing to failure and not just mindlessly counting off a set number.

What do you think? I’d like to focus on adding some size.

25. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    IMO that’s too much lead up if you are trying to PR a deadlift. I know it would be for me.

Typically I stretch and do mobility really well for 20-30 minutes then I jump in to my precalculated PR ladder keeping the reps very low.

Last time I deadlift it went like this:

20-30 minutes of stretching

135 x 10
    185 x 7
    225 x 5
    275 x 3
    315 x 3
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    435 x 1
    455 PR
    465 failed