Best classic cars to actually drive | FerrariChat

Best classic cars to actually drive

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bullfighter, Jan 4, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As much as I enjoy classic sports cars, I’ll admit that modern cars are easier to drive, safer, and more reliable. I’ve had a Porsche 911/964 for a little over a year now and despite its age it is a genuinely good car to live with.

But a list of usable classics isn’t all that long. I’d start it with:

1. Porsche 964/993
    2. Mercedes 560 SL
    3. BMW e36 (?) series
    4. ???

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

crinoid and INTMD8 like this.
  2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I think that I would of been able to daily drive my Mondial coupe comfortably, I would definitely put a 911 at the top of the list.

3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'm ever the E36 M3 fan boy, and will attest to it's DD capabilities + drivability + cost to own, puts it in unchartered territory in "bang for the buck PLUS a heck of a 'classic'" to own and drive.

With that, I really enjoyed owning and driving (hard) my '61 MGA 1600. And, laugh as you might, my 1996 Honda Acty is probably top 5 for "fun" classics I actually drive and use (did about 6000 miles in 2022 in mine). Bought a 560SL for the shop, and I did not enjoy driving it, so that one is a no from me. Haven't enjoyed any of the PCars I've spent time in either, the 993 seat/steering wheel was uncomfortable, the 911SC was sloppy and jarring.

Bullfighter likes this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    In Ferrari world the 550 Maranello. I discount the 575 because 99% were F1 cars and the F1 will leave you stranded while the manual trans just does not break. The 550 isn't too low to get in and out, goes over 90% of speed bumps, quiet to not attract attention, 12cly power and torque, great handling beyond typical GT design it has when custom or good aftermarket suspension mods are in place. You can drive the 550 all day and not get tired or take a long trip with room for luggage. A/C blows cold as a German car but not as good as GM.

If I was to do a Ferrari daily driver it would be a 456 GTA replacing the trans with a C6 corvette box with paddles and upgraded suspension.

5. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    MGA surprises me, because my MGB wasn’t great. It was fun but not all that dependable… and probably a death trap if I’d ever been hit.

I drove a 560 SL and agree, not terribly fun to drive. However it has good spares/service availability, and decent safety features. If I had to pick an ‘80s car that still works in 2023 driving, a 560 SL makes my list. Thrilling? No. Competent? Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I saw the thread title and for some reason I though of only a few F-chatters that would start such a thread and you were the first that came to mind...and voila, it was you.

I don't collect anything except memories...cars are for driving for me. So this topic is something I've put thought to. In fact, I have a list that is basically down to my favorite 3 cars to fit this bill (and I have to say I'm surprised to see all of them already mentioned in the few posts thus far).

- I completely agree about the 993 (and 964, although I don't have any experience driving 964).
    - I'd 2nd the Ferrari 550.
    - And, interesting, the SL560 is also on my very short list of cars I'll get someday.

7. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Oh it was terrible and unsafe in modern standards.
    But I took pleasure in owning and driving something I could slide a corner and not have 500+hp behind me to do it. That dinky little 1600 engine was fun because it was impossible to get yourself in trouble. Kind of like how badly I want an Abarth 75o DB Zagato. For the money a new C8 or....name anything...would be superior, but the experience would be dull and I'd be bored in an hour. 'Fast' cars don't do it for me, (I don't have F40 money, yet :) so I will stick to engaging cars in the time being lol.

8. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I owned a 993 and now a 964. Both are very capable and fully at home in 2023 driving. I've grown to slightly prefer the 964 interior and profile, and the 964 door panels and seats are old school charming -- arguably more classic. But that's all subjective and you could easily drive either one cross country, if you pack light. Both are compact and involving, sound great, and seem to run forever with diligent maintenance.

The 560 SL has always been on my back-burner list. Each time Mercedes launches a new generation, the R107 cars look better to me, and I'm a sucker for a vault-like German door closing. I like the "pagoda" W113 SL, but I suspect it's maybe too classic and might not meet the performance, comfort, or safety levels required to drive in a relaxed manner today.

There's a line between "classic" and "usable classic" that is interesting to me because I've lost interest in modern cars but I agree with your point about valuing the memories and experience. Not interested in warehousing cars that can be driven only on the concours lawn or with a mechanic in the passenger seat. I remember a Road & Track used car classic on a 1968 MGB, pretty BRG car with wire wheels, and I wanted one badly. But even then they said it was a car better suited to "country lanes" ... and having had an MGB I would agree. Driving one here on I-5 would be terrifying.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  9. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    A buddy of mine is having an ACTY sent over from Japan. It's on a boat right now. All in, I think he said it was under $4K.

19633500GT likes this.
  10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Alleluia! (precisely and well said)

11. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Yup, back in 2021 my baby came over for sub $1800 all in.

The truck itself was about $950, the rest was in shipping and import fees.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

willcrook, NYC Fred, Mang and 3 others like this.
  12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    #12 rob, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    I remember driving my MG midget on the highway and the car in front of me that HAD a mattress on the roof lost it and luckily I maneuvered around it but it scared the you know what out of me so yes it can be terrifying.
    I came very close to buying a 1990 C4 911 and got some seat time in it, that would probably be my classic car pick since all wheel drive makes life easier where I live, although I would hate to drive it in the salt.
    How about a 928? I have never had a chance to drive one so can’t comment but seems like it may be a good candidate.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    By classic i take it to mean stick, not too many nannies and character. cause a 993 is injected airbagged modern in other ways including PS..
    If youre going M3s, then a e46 qualifies too. Probably even a new M2 with a stick.
    You can geta new Miata which is as classic in function as the cars mentioned by posters above.
    Classic experience abounds in the new Honda Civic type R but maybe it lacks the classic look.
    A new Morgan +4. has all the experience plus style of any classic with modernish handling(80s style handling) and reliability.
    The above are all dailys.
    More old classic
    308s are reliable like 911s.

If youre going non daily, then a great cobra repro is 60s classic but still yank low maintanace and reliable.
    Seems like the new lotus emira ticks all the boxes.
    If you dont have to have a stick, no car of the past 20 years steers as well as a new Gulia.

The thing about old cars is they can bury you in bills and little things going wrong, they can be sorted but often that exceeds value. The 928 is a case in point.

Are you looking for a daily or semi daily, or purely sunday drive.

14. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    What about an Excalibur :eek::cool:

15. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    We brought over an Acty microvan last year, and while it IS a blast to drive I don't feel safe enough in it to use it as a true daily driver.

An early NSX still drives like a modern car even though it is mostly analog, though not having power steering is noticeable when parking.

19633500GT and LightGuy like this.
  16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Your face is pretty much the airbag on that Acty LOL

peterp and 19633500GT like this.
  17. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    True, you are/in the crumple zone for sure!

peterp and 19633500GT like this.
  18. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    My add to the list is a Porsche 356. Other than trailing throttle oversteer, it was always ready to go and a fun car to drive. And, on one occasion I actually had 4 adults in the car:p. With its extractor exhaust it was loud but sounded good.

Bullfighter likes this.
  19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I have a later 6-speed NSX. The low-speed electric steering helps parking, and shuts down at more than walking speed. It’s pretty perfect.

If I had to choose one car to drive all the time, it would be the 993 C4S.

The 560 SL is a great beach car. It doesn’t handle well, but looks great, has ABS and is galvanized.

Many Ferraris are wonderful to drive. My ‘67 kept up fine with modern traffic. My 308 is slow but fun.

But it’s really hard to beat the Pur Sang 35S for driving pleasure!

Matt

audi_328 and boxerman like this.
  20. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They are surprisingly capable cars - reliable and fun to drive.

My reservations boil down to lack of power and safety features. On California freeways, 60 bhp is a death sentence. Yes, you can drive a 356 cross country, but if you had to have only one car a 356 would be a brave choice.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Classic does not necessarily mean “stick”. Many or most of the Mercedes R107 and W113 were automatic, for example.

My original question was about driving beyond the occasional car show or country lane run. A Model T is drivable, technically, but not something one would have as an only car.

And yes, a 928 requires a serious bank account to maintain… you really have to want a 928. That has kept values down somewhat.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Ah you know of my fatal attraction for these neoclassics. Thats hardley a car for any type of daily use. They do however run corvette C3 suspesion, and have a 454. ythe key on thse cars is to sort them and redo the motor for some HP. the downsides is youre still stuck with some crap bits like 70s Gm steering columns where the whole key mechanism feels like tis abotu to fall out. Still when I see what some peopel spend on fiberglass 30s ford hotrods, redoing an Excalibur imo makes a far better and cooler car.

Juts spoke with the Morgan dealer, the +4 is coming to USA. For those unfamiliar, classic ,morgan looks in a slightly wider more comfy package, Bonded aluminum tub with IRS, BMW Turbo 4 motor with stick, even ac if you want it. At 100K thats the reliable and useable 30s classic experience, these days also well built.

It is true though that the mid 70's- 90s 911 ticks all the classic boxes and if sorted are relatively hassle free and able to work in modern traffic just fine, that puts these aircooled porches in a class of their own.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

If it does nto have to be stick, I'dd say try an Alfa Gulia, the best steering by far and driving modern car. It does look a little bland as all moderns do though. Still a drive in one is a revelation, sharpness and acuracy of steering that seems a lost art everywhere else,, suspension with actual compliance, and everything works.

It might sound heresy but Im a major fan of the soon to be departed dodge challengers, a muscle car and what used to be called a personal couple all rolled into one, with great for the road handling and braking to boot. But you need to live somewhere with big roads and parking spots.

Some people say the new Jeeps are like reliable classic cars.

928s are awesome but as you say, blank check time.

I see the 90s 300zx's showing up on bat these days, relaible fast and like a 928 sorta timeless, a peak of japan.

The orgional NSX works great too and seemingly has it all.
    A great buy IMO is the BMW z3 m covertible.

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    How does a DB5 drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Coincidentally, we just watched the S6E5 Top Gear where Jeremy compares the 'coolness' of the E-Type verses the DB5.

Conclusion, the DB5 is much rarer so more expensive.....but they both drove like 1960's cars :eek: