Under the Lights at Daytona | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Under the Lights at Daytona

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by wthensler, Oct 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thinking about it, not 100% sure yet. The 458 is undergoing service, and I just received the long-awaited Cup 2s. I ran Daytona for two full days with Chin in November and had many great run sessions.

Good tires are the most important item on a track like this, depending on how hard you want to push on the straight coming into Turn 1. You will be fine with new Sport 4S tires.

2. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    32+ Track Days in a 458 could be our FChat record!!!

I just did a lookup of my track days in my streetable 458 using only aftermarket pads & rotors. I achieved 16+ track days [top speed 163] (only ever using street tires and NOT at Daytona) before Covid minimized the number of track day opportunities and then the value of the car went up so much I couldn't find reasonably priced track day insurance so I went back to my BMW for HPDE track day events. The BMW just results in slower speeds (123 max), lower risk, and a disposable car while still appreciating/earning every ounce of power and entry-apex-exit points through a turn.

Have any other FChatters added up their streetable 458 tracks day totals?
    Just curious how many 458 are on track.

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Good move on the BMW, I see lots of them on track and makes a ton of sense. The 458 is fast, it’s just not quick.

I’m going for an even 100 track days in the 458, albeit not quite at the same pace as last year. I gave up on retaining value (although the car is superbly maintained).

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hitting the track is a gas regardless of what you are driving. There used to be a track near College Station, Texas called Texas World Speedway. It was an old NASCAR track turned into a roval. Even in a lowly Miata, if it was cold and the north winds were blowing, you would upshift to fifth at the end of the straight and throw the car down the embankment at 130+ 100% on the gas. Your vision would shatter by the time you hit bottom and slammed on the brakes.

Good times.