1985 400i 5 spd / Long overdue / 12k Service | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1985 400i 5 spd / Long overdue / 12k Service

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Paul C Cain, Nov 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Why not just put a regular nut on it?

2. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    Good question. I’ve ordered both the locking (thin) versions of this nut as well as a std nut. I’ll try a few alternatives.

Ak Jim likes this.
  3. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    Lots of UPS boxes arrived today. The granddaddy was the Superformance box from the UK. The P/S pump rebuilder, alternator rebuilder, the powdercoater, hose supplier and the zinc plater all finished their work. Lots of organizing this afternoon. I was hoping to get serious on pump reassembly, only to realize I only ordered 1) a/c compressor belt -a total novice error. This is a complete show stopper as the entire belt reassembly process starts with these two belts going on first. Replacements are on the way. The alternator rebuilder was very cooperative in sourcing Bosch OEM parts for the voltage regulator(s).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    #54 Paul C Cain, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Finally some traction. All the packages with the correct belts and nuts arrived. This weekend closes with some very gratifying assembly work in the can.

The lower oil line is the stiff wire reinforced type and is very stiff. I suspect this was my big leaker before this service. Originally this had 1 Norma screw clamp on it. I decided to deviate from stock and go with double one time cinch clamps. This side is easy to service, the opposite end is on the oil pan behind the frame rail and is only serviceable when lower alternator is out of the car. Hopefully these four clamps will crush this leak.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Jim575 and Schumi like this.
  5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #55 raemin, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    As said these are cohline hoses with serviceable argus fittings.

No point in damaging these valuable fittings. Just replace the hose. It does have an odd diameter only made by cohline, the braided version is hard to source (unless you buy the full 20m roll), but the non braided (which was also used by Ferrari in these cars) is easy to source, and cheap...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147579771/

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    While you are there you should also replace the second hose that goes toward the back of the car. It's the one that collects the excess from the pressure relief valve and routes it back to the sump. Often overlooked and easy to replace when all is out.

8. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    @raemin I believe that is the hose that I replaced (as shown). Are there two? This hose goes from the oil pump (photo) over the lower alternator and and back down to the oil sump fitting on the front / top of the pan. I looked around the remainder of the pan. Tell me there is not another one? :)

9. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    Next phase of this project is the exhaust. The triple pack center mufflers are 56 lbs per side and a little too quiet for my taste. I want something that is a bit louder but does not have the buzziness or droning of many aftermarket systems. So, to be safe, I am going to stick with the OEM ANZA style muffler and build a "Sport'' exhaust center section. I am going to keep the entire triple pack set of mufflers and place them in the attic. What is going to going back on will be a fabricated system with a very factory looking single ANZA muffler per side. It will retain the stock rear ANZA resonators. Factory means no stainless steel, using factory flanges and fittings and retaining the two 25mm bridge pipes that connect into the collectors. It will be a 'drop in' to the original triple pack system. Step one is fabricating a fixture to capture the exact flange positions and rear pipe positions. (Because few things in life are more frustrating that exhaust flanges that are not aligned when bench pressing an entire system with a fist full of hardware)

First photo is this fixture. The 'new' muffler is on top in the position it will placed with new mild steel pipe sections. This system will incorporate a cross over pipe 150 mm aft of the header collectors. Photos two and three show the flange fixtures. Next up this week is a quick fixture to position the new muffler then fabricating can begin.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jim575 and samsaprunoff like this.
  10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Many here just replace the entire center exhaust sections with 4 straight pipes using only the rear mufflers for muffling. Mine has no drone or buzziness and its not loud at all, sounds great at 3000rpm. In my application I used two merge pipes from the exhaust manifolds so only one pipe per side then split again into to 4 as they enter the stock muffler pipes.

11. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    @Newman Thanks for the suggestion. Your straight pipes idea is my plan "B". If it is still too quiet, then I'll make a set of straight pipes - this is the benefit in now having this complete center section fixture - a set of these pipes would be quick to fab.

Ak Jim likes this.
  12. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
  13. 06ZHP

06ZHP Rookie

Dec 19, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Cain
    Beautiful, Keep it up :)

14. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    My current exhaust replaced the center mufflers with aftermarket "cherry bomb" style mufflers. They sound great, but I also have a rare NOS exhaust system (still in its paper wrap) I want to install. Before I install I want to ceramic coat the mufflers as some of the paint has peeled. Just need to confirm the color first. If anyone knows if there is a color code for the exhaust would be of great help.

15. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    Crank Hub Bolt / Questions for the Experts:

This is the large bolt holding the harmonic balancer / hub assy on to the front of the crankshaft. With so many V-belts stacked up, the hub ends up being extremely deep.

I want to turn the crank with a large socket. If you look closely you will see this requires a ridiculously thin walled socket to fit over the nut. I am very happy to sacrifice one socket to lathe it down to a thin walled solution. However I only want to do it once.

The question: What is the exact size of this bolt?

Much appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Four pipes with no crossovers or X pipes?

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Oh sorry, I see what you mean. You merge two into one then one into two again to go out the mufflers. Interesting.

18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    From memory my mechanic turned it with a regular (untouched) metric socket. This being said it is easier to turn the crank from the flywheel: just take a large flat screw driver and use the small window under the bell housing, from then on you use the screwdriver as a lever against the teeth of the flywheel.

Not easy to explain, but once you see the credit card sized window and the teeth of the flywheeel, this is obvious...

19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Search this section for sockets. There is a company that makes a socket that will work without machining.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Im going to change it up to try another approach. I watched a video by David Vizard (brilliant guy but hard to listen to) where he explains how to make a zero HP loss system that isn't loud and its very simple.

Jim575 likes this.
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Here's the video, very educational for anyone that hasn't seen this. Be patient and skip past the first 3 mins or so if you start to fall asleep.

22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Love to see pics of this one.

23. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    Thanks, he is the classic old school hot rodder: I did agree with his comment about the balance tube at 23 min 10 sec.

Very similar to this famous automotive technologist: ;)

Jim575 likes this.
  24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

I found the post that Jim mentioned:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-tools-have-you-made-modified-for-your-ferrari.600871/#post-146627533

The socket details are: Koken 36mm 1/2 drive, 47mm OD,

6-point: https://kokenusa.com/products/socket-1-2sq-dr-6-p-36mm
    12-point: https://kokenusa.com/products/socket-1-2sq-dr-12-p-36mm

Cheers,

Sam

Ak Jim and raemin like this.
  25. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK