Best classic cars to actually drive | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best classic cars to actually drive

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bullfighter, Jan 4, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Air cooled 911 tops the list in my book. The 2.2 and 2.4 MFI cars are terrific but to be safe I would start with the I series cars with galvanized body panels. I am partial to the 3.2 Carrera 1984-89 which are just about bulletproof. The 964 and 993 series offer a more modern driving experience and are generally more expensive.

2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agree 1000% ^^^ Although I dearly love my GT3 Touring and other Porsches I have been fortunate enough to own since I still kick myself for selling my 993 C4S- If I could find it I would <have to> pay 2x+ what I sold it for but probably would do it.

Cheers :cool:

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Heavy and by modern standards slow, wlthough at speed it does lighten up, brakes were probably good for the day. if youve driven an series 2 etype, youve got the general picture.

plastique999 likes this.
  5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That’s the problem with a lot of 1960s cars. They drive like something out of the 1960s. Drop dead gorgeous, but they are hobby cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

boxerman and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I can echo the E36 M3. E46 probably belongs as long as it isn't the 'vert (too heavy). For 60's I'd but a Datsun 2000 on the list.

19633500GT likes this.
  7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Really the title does not match the intent....Best Classic Cars to Actually Drive? My two would certainly be on that list.

Every day classic? Certainly an odd description. Almost certainly should be some form of 911. I put 55k miles on my '01 Turbo, it should qualify I guess.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    69-74 Alfa spider. Swap out the Spica mechanical injection for Webers and its darn practical as well as topless fun. 4 wheel discs, 5 speed box, twin cam aluminum engine with pretty much bullet proof bottom end, chrome bumpers, wood steering wheel, almost no electronics, and a great top mechanism. Also lots of spare mechanical parts and upgrades. And its pretty easy to wrench on if you want to do it yourself.

NYC Fred, boxerman, Lusso123 and 6 others like this.
  10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I had a 1985 BMW 635csi which I drove daily for a while, and it was awesome. Granted it's a much rarer car here in Brazil than it is in most northern hemisphere western countries but still, everyone would compliment the car's design. Different to a sports car for sure, it was big and was more of a momentum machine, but it also felt like an event.

tantumaude and Bullfighter like this.
  11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I think almost any classic can be an enjoyable driver, if well sorted and used as intended.

The car I put the most miles on is a 1959 Cadillac. Really does nothing well other than being comfortable and smooth but still very enjoyable.

boxerman and Island Time like this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Budget unlimited
    288 gto
    Mclaren f1

both entirely useable

13. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Another vote for a 3.2 Carrera. I often do daily mine during warmer weather.

Bullfighter likes this.
  14. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I dailied an S2a for nine months/year. It was lovely, by far the car I miss the most. Absolute death trap though--even though the crumple zones were advanced for its time, it is simply too low. At 188cm my head was above the windshield even after I put some 914 seats in it.

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Similar looks, a little less power and less money a 968 would be a good alternative.

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I drove a 968 cabriolet back in the ‘90s and they are very usable. And rare.

I’d almost draw a line around 1990 or so as nearing the end of “classic”.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I daily drove my '05 Vanquish S back in the day. Best daily I've ever had.

NYC Fred and Texas Forever like this.
  18. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Best Classic", kinda confused me...I'm at the age where "Classic" still means Cord, Auburn, Duesenberg. etc. Using current understanding of the term, I guess my 21 y/o 575 manual would qualify. In over 105k miles of driving, it has only required a flat bed "rescue" twice. Once in Houston, heavy rain, road debris...shredded tire and a seized AC compressor in Winslow AZ.

colombo2cam and Texas Forever like this.
  19. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It is kind of subjective, but I was referring to older cars that predate modern technologies. IMO, cars introduced after 1990 (Ferrari F40 is a kind of watershed car, end of an era) brought us advanced gearboxes, engine management systems, suspension/traction management, digital cockpits, iDrive, etc.

Absolutely a Cord or Auburn falls into that category, but also simple ‘60s cars like the Porsche 356 or air-cooled 911s. Carburetors, mechanical injection, caps/rotors, etc. There’s no clear date.

The other subjective aspect of “classic” is that it had to be an important car at the time. A Chrysler LeBaron is definitely old, but it was rubbish when new. An E-Type certainly had its flaws, but was an icon and performance benchmark when new. I know… apologies to the LeBaron Collectors Society, but unless you optioned it with rich Corinthian leather it wasn’t all that great.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

dm_n_stuff and Texas Forever like this.
  20. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Good description!

21. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    You may luck out and get one that was owned by John Voight.:D

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #47 LARRYH, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    If we are defining classic as anything up till 2000 .. has manual etc......THAN

once again
    anything 911 is pretty darn perfect.
    90 through 96 300zx twin turbo... excellent cars for the times
    Love the C4 gran sport corvette (blue with painted white stripe red leather interior only 1000 built only a few in red interior ..
    C5 corvette Z06
    NOW ONE OF MY FAVS
    FERRARI 55O....
    all are easy to drive reliable and an easy driver and all of which I have personal experience with

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
  24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name: