Palm Beach Cavallino Classic | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Palm Beach Cavallino Classic

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by amenasce, Aug 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’d like to see a list of judges.

Nembo1777 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It will be in the event edition of Cavallino like every other year.
    Without knowing the players it will not mean much.

SAFE4NOW and Jack-the-lad like this.
  3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I would be shocked if you get a list of cars. In the past it was always kept a secret and only a very select few knew what was coming.

Make sure you get out there early and watch them come down the drive and park on the lawn. That's the best time to get pictures. Once it gets later the crowds start showing and the sun crests the Breakers creating harsh lighting. Beware the lunch rush when all the women wearing hats show up with their foo foo dogs. Watch out for gold diggers :)

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Texas Forever and Oengus like this.
  7. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    Interesting discussion. The next generation of Ferrari customers are on social media (Youtube/Instagram/Tiktok/Snapchat) not on Fchat. So maybe they are headed in the right direction but their choice of influencers may be sub optimal.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    For judged cars, do we need to have with us the factory car cover, seat covers and steering wheel cover with us at the show?

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I know why you ask this question, but it is sad to see what Ferrari judging has become.

10. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    i;m a new owner. I am a 1967 National Corvette Restorer's Society National level judge. I know what we judge. This is my first judging event with my first F car and just want to know if i need to bring the cover, etc with me for judging. I, with the help of my 6 year old son, has dialed in my car, to the best of my knowledge. Am just asking if i need the covers. I appreciate any insight. I am a junior here on this sight, just want to do all i can do to be prepared. That's all. I get calls and texts from owners asking me what to do, what to bring, what you judges look at in regards to Corvettes and i happily let them know. Am just asking...I appreciate it....Thanks to all....

11. GLENN@TEAM AI

GLENN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Jun 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    No, we do not judge covers. No need to bring them.

FerrfanFL likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #287 Rifledriver, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    Dale, showing your ignorance sad to say. IAC/PFA judging as done at Cavallino and FCA is far less like that than virtually any other organization. We spend 15 minutes with 3 people inspecting a car. The Corvettes takes an entire day with a whole crew of people.

People from other organizations are very shocked about the long list of items we pay no attention to.

Aside from the car we require an owners manual (may be a copy) , a tool/jack kit and thats it. The list of things on the car itself we give a pass on it too long for me to bother to write. As an example though delaminating glass and paint chips are not deductions.

Like in this case, people ask because of experiences elsewhere, not their experiences with us.
    There is another thread right now about restoring the POS factory flashlights for concours purposes. I told them any reasonable facsimile will do (its a very common American piece). No one knew that because no one asked.

ggjjr, Nospinzone, Octonion and 2 others like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’ll freely admit concours is not my thing. It appears to have become more of a detailing/restoration contest than the beauty of the underlying cars. I realize judges need something to differentiate the show queens because they are all so good. I also realize someone who had paid big bucks to a restoration shop expects to win at least a platinum. Like every thing, we have become hyper competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Brian
    No deduction for delaminating glass? I had .5 pt deducted for such thing on my 85 QV at 2019 Scottdale FCA National.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

In whose world? I have judged cars at national events that were not even washed. We do not judge bugs or dirt.

You really have no idea what we do.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #291 Rifledriver, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    You should have protested it. I was one of the board members who made that acceptable.

Give me your judges names and Ill be sure that does not happen again.

That may have been a more recent ruling than summer 19 but get me the names anyway.

Professional MLB Umpires make mistakes and get paid very well for doing so. If the batter does not speak up nothing changes. Our judges do not even get their expenses covered.

17. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Ok. I will dig up my score sheet. Still got Platinum and CBM so I won't protest it. But it's good reference for Oregon. Thanks Brian.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great. I recall Tom S had cat paw prints on one of his cars. But I don’t recall seeing dirty cars at Cavallino.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats the owners pride speaking, not the judging requirements.

Tom has shown his 375mm after driving it from San Clemente put it on the lawn and won awards without even wiping it off.

And he parks it overnight in the lot of the Super 8 Motel.

audi_328, Nembo1777 and Texas Forever like this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Love it!

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Brian, I know you have far more experience in judging than I, but the way I’ve been told during several FCA judging seminars or pre-event meetings, very minor chips or de-lamination is acceptable, but when any of it appears clearly obtrusive, deduction should be expected.
    Of course, any of this would be at the discretion of the given judge,

ggjjr likes this.
  22. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    I have been entering Ferrari concours for over 30 years. One thing I have learned is how subjective the judging is. There are a handful of judges that I totally respect and look forward to them judging my car. I have learned from them, items on my cars I did not realize were an issue. Not to name names but one of the people commenting on this thread is an example of a knowledgeable judge. They have worked in the field or spent years studying the various cars. Sad to say but lately what I have seen is similar to when I helped my brother judge a science fair. I was not qualified. My brother said to follow his lead. They just needed another judge. I have also learned not to take it too seriously. I have seen owners get so upset if they don't get a platino it ruins their whole weekend, be it a FCA Nationals or Cavallino. It should be fun and a learning experience. If things don't turn out in your favor there is always booze!

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have a good example judge vs. owner and their different perspectives. My one and only judging at a 2000's Regional (we weren't trained, but tried to do the points scoring the best we could).

The owners had poured a ton of money into this 355 and expected a great result. We judged them inside and with the fluorescent lights I could tell all the front rock chips they had just used a touch up dabber. It looked awful, the paint dab stuck out like a pimple and the color didn't match. I don't know the guidelines for this situation, but IMHO the poor touch up was 10x worse than if they had just left the rock chips.

That was my perspective as a judge, the owners perspective is they spent a ton of money and time expecting a great result. I'll never judge again!

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As a concours judge, at the end of the day, you will have 1 friend and 99 enemies.

Marcel Massini

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, truth there. :eek: