Palm Beach Cavallino Classic | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Palm Beach Cavallino Classic

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by amenasce, Aug 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #301 Rifledriver, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    A bad repair is worse than no repair but honestly if I cannot see it with a naked eyeball it does not exist. Our standard of quality is what Ferrari did when the car was new. If it requires a machine thats inappropriate.

I had a high profile owner have a melt down for not getting a platinum. Car didn't deserve it. A flipper who used platinums to pump the value and I ruined a perfectly good plan. Usually shows up with a few million in cars. I am the wrong guy to expect a change of score from.

2. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I tell new judges they need to be able to tell a mother of a newborn their baby is ugly.

David S is good at it.

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Rich, we do a better job than most in my experience but Leslie is now Chief Judge at FCA. Expect some changes.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    and i am DRIVING my car to the event.....that should make me hated by many and respected by many....My car stands tall.....i've killed myself to prep her and i have enjoyed the process with my son....unforgettable memories...that's what counts.....i don't have handlers dolling up the car before the show....I will be doing it myself....with wife and kids coming later....am outa my league and loving it......look forward to meeting any and all of you....my jerry mcguire moment is done. LOL. God bless to all...

Graz, steved033, Jack-the-lad and 4 others like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And you'd be hated by many because?

FerrfanFL likes this.
  6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I was warned last year at Cavallino about a patch of delaminating glass on my 330GTC
    No deduction was given….. judge said they would rather see original glass.

7. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    was kind of a joke. i see so many cars on trailers being brought to the show, i will enjoy driving mine there. looking forward to the show. pray the weather holds out. look forward to meeting any of you out there that will be attending.

Nembo1777 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

I’ll be driving mine up from Delray Beach just like last year….trailers are for ******* ;)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    That's great to hear. I hope you do well.

You'd be surprised though just how many do drive their cars to the event. I personally drove 0090e a few times to the event. In fact, Paul Russell and Mark Allen would drive their entries from our warehouse to the Breakers and Mar a Lago each year rain or shine.

I feel for the judges. It really is a thankless job. They do it on their own dime and they get all the grief. It's admirable IMO that they sacrifice so much for their passion. Unfortunately all the big money involved makes judging even more stressful. As pointed out earlier many owners desperately want that Platinum so they can significantly get more for their car on the flip. That is why it is so crucial to have qualified judges and not celebrities/influencers.

10. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    I am not a flipper, just a nervous entrant. LOL. Won't be selling the car. Haven't put enough miles on her yet.

11. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    i hear ya regarding judging. While judging at NCRS events i was the one that every owner would sound off on.....until they thought about my deductions, checked the judging guide, realized that i was right, and asked advice on how to remedy it. the judges should have an open bar for them after their day of judging. lol

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We value originality, not perfection.

ggjjr, readplays, daytonaman and 3 others like this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My first FCA Concours was in Daytona. My wife and I drove our 612 down from Massachsetts. We arrived 2 days early since I knew the car would be filthy from the drive.

Well it rained all day the day before judging. I had to drive to the track the morning of the judging and wash the car in the dark to get it on the grounds in time.

My only other FCA judging was at Scottsdale. No rain there to interfere with my car washing!

At both events I had different judges for the Platino and the Coppa Bella Machina. I always found them all to be professional, friendly and informative. Of course it helped to be awarded those distinctions both times! :)

As far as the condition of the car, with all the driving of the car there are a few imperfections, but I never received a deduction for them.

However, at the Scottsdale event it was noted that there was leather shrinkage on the dash, and also the rear deck was starting to ripple. It only worsen the last 2 years. Last winter the car was at Paul Russel to replace the leather. Their guy did a fantastic job matching the leather since my dash leather was the same as the seats and doors.

I was going to enter the car at Mont Tremblant, but right at the Canadian border an oil line to the transaxle burst and the car never made it to the event. :(

of2worlds, bball16 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Having won multiple platinum awards over the years, this is the best summation for judging.

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    readplays and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Has it been dyed? The and console and headrests look like a different color from the seats. Personally I think the seats look great. Interior wear is difficult. You should become very familiar with the rules and be proactive and open your conversation with the judges with " I really value the originality of my leather and the patina and I felt keeping it original was more important than new and pretty." Difficult on a computer but if dyed and there is a color problem that will cost you.

ggjjr likes this.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    restoring the leather of my 328 was the biggest mistake I ever made. James and Tin Lizzie had the car for 2 years, it cost a bunch of money, you then notice unrestored things like carpet and panels, and the seats didn't fit me as well. I guess good thing Jennie ended up with it. :D

DIGMAN52 and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

readplays likes this.
  19. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

White time do we need to be there on Saturday for showing etc?
    I can find my initial email

FerrfanFL likes this.
  20. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    they said to be at the Breakers at 7am. Judging starts at 9am.

Oengus likes this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Or 11 depending on the level of CF getting the cars on the field.

Last year they were still bringing our class on the field at 10:30 and they really wanted us done before 12. Much judging went very quickly.

FerrfanFL, Oengus and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

waiting just makes the beer and oysters that much more tasty!

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    See you all there!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Please post photos!

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    fly out later this morning. not sure what I'll have time for this evening. I'm staying a condo walking distance from Breakers.

question, will there be plenty of vintage cars on the tour tomorrow or mostly later models? I'm wondering if better to just see what cars at Breakers or if worth my time to make the trip to the other hotel for the Tour start?

Nembo1777 likes this.