Ferrari Mondial Interior Lights | FerrariChat

Ferrari Mondial Interior Lights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Alexwgm, Jan 25, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alexwgm

Alexwgm Rookie

Jan 22, 2023
    Sussex, uk
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi guys,

Bit of a random one, but my puddle lights work fine when I open both doors but the interior lights don’t, is there a relay that’s burnt out somewhere or a separate fuse for the lights?

They work when switching to constant on

thanks

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    According to the wiring diagrams of one version of the Mondial, both interior and puddle lights have the same power source (fuse 9?), so there may be a problem with one of the outputs of the Timer Unit under the passenger footwell ... or a wiring issue.

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/Ferrari/Mondial/Mondial_3.2_QV_(1987)/PartDiagrams/127/Secondary_Electrical_Boards_-_CH88_Excluded

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133991337355

I'm not familiar with the Mondial, so part number and location may vary depending on which model of Mondial you have. If you can't find a replacement Timer, they are easily repaired. The components are very basic. Look for micro cracks in the circuit board (especially around the soldered mounts for the 5 pins).

3. Alexwgm

Alexwgm Rookie

Jan 22, 2023
    Sussex, uk
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Found the relay, it is indeed knackered, currently looking at alternatives to the original high priced unit

Qavion likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    How do you define "knackered"? Was there visible water damage, burnt components, cracked board, etc? Is it not repairable?

Any pics?

5. Alexwgm

Alexwgm Rookie

Jan 22, 2023
    Sussex, uk
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There’s nothing visible, putting power across the coil doesn’t switch so I think it’ll need the coil replacing - looks in good condition by eye

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There's a relay inside? I thought it was full of solid state electronics.... diodes, transistors, etc.

7. Alexwgm

Alexwgm Rookie

Jan 22, 2023
    Sussex, uk
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes has a single relay and then capacitors etc which does the delay function

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks. I've never seen inside these things.

Here's the basic wiring setup from the diagrams I have:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Power on "+"
    Earth supplied to "P" when door open
    Earth supplied interior light from "L" when door open or for time period after door closed.

Unfortunately, the markings on the timer module are different to the wiring diagrams

Image Unavailable, Please Login