Monza SP1 & SP2 | Page 146 | FerrariChat

Monza SP1 & SP2

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by ajr550, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    adci, BlackRivazza, elmadi and 5 others like this.
  3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hi maha - I am late to this party, but am interested in the blue #8 car livery since my father owned the 500 Mondial that was obviously the inspiration for it for 58 years. Does anyone here have any clue who might own this car? Or where it lives?

Just so you know, this livery was originally worn by the 1955 500 Mondial, Series II, s/n 0556(0446)MD which was built the first week of May, 1955. It was originally sold to a French privateer, Francois Picard, so it was painted French Racing Blue. It was traded back to the Factory after a summer of racing and was sent to Caracas in November, 1955 as one of the Factory works cars for the first Grand Prix of Venezuela. It was driven by Eugenio Castellotti and Harry Schell to 5th overall and first in class for 2-liter. Two pics for you; one in the race w/ Castellotti at the wheel, and the second at Pebble Beach, 2008 where it won Best in Class for Ferrari Competition cars, and the Enzo Trophy for the Best Ferrari out of all the Ferrari classes. My father owned it from 1960 to 2018.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BlackRivazza, elmadi, adci and 8 others like this.
  4. BtvFerrari

BtvFerrari Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2020
    The Netherlands
    Lives in Italy. This Monza participated in the Ferrari Cavalcade Icona 2022 last year.

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  5. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It would be interesting to know why that owner painted it to mimic that specific and famous 1955 Mondial. I think it looks great and is a lovely gesture to pay homage to a race car from nearly 70 years ago with such an interesting history. There can't be too many Ferrari FACTORY team race cars painted other than Rosso Corsa.

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  6. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The modern version is painted in Azzurro La Plata.

I think it would have been better to have to have the paint in perhaps Blue Flagplatz to be closer.

BTW - Do you happen to know when this photo was taken?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

May the Horse be with you

elmadi, NürScud, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  7. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a weird photo. The crane in the background looks like a modern crane. Certainly not one from 1956. The whole photo looks modern too but the car looks a bit beat up and it doesn't have shields. Is it the Admiral's car even? It looks different. Plus I thought the car went direct from Venezuela to the USA, then got painted red. And thats Venice, Italy, not Venice, LA. So Bryan, have you seen this before? Interesting to know when that photo was taken.

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Car is 0424 MD/0564 MD of fchatter P.M., pic taken in Venice, Italy, 25 September 2011 during the Italia Classica Ferrari Gran Tour organised by Luca and Matteo Grandori. The car has since had five more owners.
    No relation to the former Admiral car. And please note that there is more than one lightblue 500 Mondial Spider.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, NürScud, Bundy and 4 others like this.
  9. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This car was as it was when this photo was taken and it is definitely not the admirals car. That is a completely different car altogether.

10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thank you Marcel.

I thought there were more than one Light Blue 500 Mondial spiders. Just not sure if they all wore number 8?

I know that the 121LM/735 LM wore the number 76 in period.

11. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Ah so they are as common as muck then? Ha ha. Interesting it has the Race #8 too.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    Cheers
    John

elmadi likes this.
  12. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    Spectacular!!!Where were these pictures taken- looks like a dealership?

13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    That full blue SP is sooo satisfying to watch. It seems the owner managed to avoid the LSD pill that Ferrari was forcing every owner to take before speccing their SP1/2

Clean and simple.

Caeruleus11, elmadi and Garretto like this.
  14. thx enzo

thx enzo Karting

Aug 11, 2021
    Hartland, WI
    Full Name:
    Stevenp
    My guess is Lake Forest Ferrari, where I specced my F8 Spider right next to those 2 Monza’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

elmadi likes this.
  15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Correct.

elmadi likes this.