Weight Lifting techniques and tips | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Weight Lifting techniques and tips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skidkid, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I wanted to clarify that every 7th day is a “refeed” where I double my carbs and consume 3,000 calories.

2. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    For strictly one day or just one big meal?
    Old school thinking is one full day, new school is have just one larger meal and you should be good.

3. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Doesn’t matter how I do it. Just hit the macros for the day.

4. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn

Like the poster on the wall behind her. I follow her on twitter and am impressed with her commitment.

5. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Chicks that lift properly are generally cool (not always hot, but stilll...!)

6. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Might want to squeeze it in 1 meal to enhance leptin, increase satiety and decrease chances of spill over.
    Besides, sometime sit just feel good to shove your face for a full meal.
    The physiological effect of eating just 1-2 spoons extra per meal isn't that big.
    Adding an additional plate typically is.

Have a go if you feel like it. But always do what 'feels right'!

7. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Can you expand on this? Enhancing leptin... adding a plate (of food I presume)... thanks!

8. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Love to see pics
    I wish you all the best on this journey
    Mind is king

Maximus1973 likes this.
  9. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Leptin is an hormone that is secreted by your fat cells. It regulates satiety and your metabolism. When you diet down, you deregulate leptin. By increasing food quantity you get an increase in leptin so you feel less hungry and your body recieves an additional signal to decrease fat storage.

When you increase one meal in a day you have all the physological effects of eating until you are full, but you decrease the chance of overspill when you ‘ over eat’ with several other meals. Your body can not store everything you eat in one sitting. But eating a little bit more several meals is all of a sudden a lot easier.
    You also raise insulin levels a bit more.
    So it’s a double edged sword by having a ‘ cheat day’ versus cheat meal.
    Studies have clearly shown that the best dieters that are super strict during the week and less on the weekends virtually gain everything right back during that weekend.

Skidkid likes this.
  10. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ah crap
    Im very strict on weekdays but weekends i eat whatever! Lol

11. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Try to condense that “ I eat whatever I want” to if possible one meal during the weekend or one per day.
    Better yet, plan it for yourself or plan your evening for example around it.
    You’ll look forward to it and it will make the rest of your meals fly by.
    If you like to pig out, do it for example on a Saturday night dinner. But then also don’t hold back.
    Don’t go for a single scoop of B&J’s but get that darn bucket.
    Stop when you are satisfied, not when you finished that single plate.
    Once you’ve done that, your Leptin levels will be increased and the eagerness to do it the next meal will have greatly diminished.

My wife is an expert in just have a small piece of chocolate with her evening coffee. Just one and never two.
    To me that’s just teasing.
    If I want cake, I don’t mean a slice, I want the whole damn thing!
    But I also make sure I planed that cake and am looking forward to it.
    Plus to that is that it’s way easier for me to eat clean the rest of the week as I “ have a reward incoming”.

Again, the take away here is unfortunately that no matter if you just ate boiled chicken and plain rice all week, you would still gain fat/not loose fat if you disregard the diet in the wekend.
    1 step forward and 1 step backward.
    Tons of studies support this finding (not a theory).

craze and Skidkid like this.
  12. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Thank you for that! To summarize and make sure I understand, a cheat meal is much preferable to a cheat day. To further the thought, if a cheat day during a week included three big meals, you are saying it would be preferable to have three large meals over three different days vs. three large meals during the same day. Do I have that correct?

If so, does that support an OMAD style eating plan?

I'm doing some fasting right now and I've always enjoyed the feeling. So any guidance you have on how to break the fast would be great. Thanks!

13. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I think you first need to understand the reasoning behind the ‘ cheat day’.
    Biologically it doesn’t do that much.
    Yes it increases metabolism a bit after the meal, but once that meal is digested and your next meals are back to the diet, your metabolism will drop a bit.
    So the main purpose of that chat meal/day is strictly psychological.
    If that’s the case then again, why not go all out with a single meal and back to the diet the meals after.
    Yes their will be some ‘ overspil’ with your cheat meal. But with one meal it’s manageable.
    But do it with three meals and you’re just screwing up your diet.

Doing a cheat meal 3 days a week and you’re making it even worse. Sorry.

If you feel the need you need several cheat meals/day you should first look at your normal diet and makes some alterations there.
    Perhaps increase salt intake a bit for example.
    Perhaps a bit more carbs; or more protein/veggies to increase satiety.

An OMAD style plan, as with any fasting plan, is a lifestyle choice.
    There are more and more studies coming out that all say the same thing.
    The best diet is the one you stick to long term.
    People don’’t lose more fat with low carb/low fat/atkins/fasting, etc.
    The majority of the results simply come from total calories.

So again, follow the diet you enjoy the most as that’s the diet that works best for YOU!

With your fasting, it depends what your goals are; health, fat loss or muscle building. You can alter your fasting according those those parameters.
    When you are fasting however try not to do a workout. We do see in studies that training in a fasted state does decrease muscle building signals.
    “ but what about Tomas Delauer and so and so ‘ expert”!?
    They are Youtubers; not doctors and are preaching (selling) an idea and like to twist the studies to fit their agenda. No offense.

Best way to break your fast would be the same as anyone not doing fasting and simpl having breakfast. I would focus on protein. It keeps you full and stops overeating on too much carbs for example.
    I personally eat 5-6 whole scrambled eggs in butter for breakfast with some kind of bacon.
    Keeps me full for hours on end and the natural choline from the eggs lifts my brain fog. Also not having any carbs at breakfast somehow makes me mentally sharper.
    But that’s a personal thing…..

14. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Today marks 6 weeks of contest prep. The first two weeks weren’t bad at all. Weeks 3 and 4 became much more difficult. Lots of hunger and became lethargic. Workouts definitely started suffering. A couple days during week five it took all the energy I had just to put one foot in front of the other while walking. I began to seriously doubt whether I had the will power to keep pushing through. Then one day, my energy came back a little for no apparent reason. Week 6 has been a little easier though I have to still pace myself in the gym as I will get light headed during some lifts. Some days I even have to hang on to a piece of equipment for support between sets because I’m so drained. On top of it all, having a family makes it even harder - eating out, going places when I have little energy, etc. It would definitely be easier if I was single and living by myself. I’m down about 13lbs since I started. I would have thought I’d be at competition weight by now but my abs still haven’t popped like they need to. I’m going to guess I probably have 3-5 pounds more to go.

I’ve been 100% on point with my nutrition until last night. I saved up 400 calories so I could have some shots of bourbon. Then I binged on about 200 extra calories of snacks (I was still in an overall caloric deficit). It’s the first time I’ve had alcohol since prep started. Having some more tonight. I need a break. Going out of town this weekend and taking my wife and daughter to Busch Gardens. Should be fun but also causes some stress because of my diet. I already packed a cooler full of food and scouted a couple restaurant menus in advance so I should be good.

I thought this would be a little easier than it’s turned out to be. There is real sacrifice involved. It isn’t horrible, but it is a grind and you have to stay strong mentally.

Maximus1973 likes this.
  15. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    200 calories is a pretty amateur binge, I have to say. :)

Alcohol lowers discipline and leads to snacking among other bad things for a cut. I'd say avoid it if at all possible.

Keep at it, and thanks for sharing your experiences!

Scott98 likes this.
  16. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Wel kudos to you for sticking to the diet. It is very, very tough.
    However at this stage you should not feel the way you feel. This is mostly reserved for the last 2 weeks or so.
    Especially being light headed in the gym; this is not going in the right direction…….
    If possible try to increase protein and/or veggies a bit so you feel fuller.
    Or perhaps overall calories a bit whilst increasing cardio a bit.
    At this rate you will not be at your best at the show as you will have drained all your energy.
    What does your coach say? He should make adjustments based on how you look and feel……
    A progress pic would be helpfull to determine a bit where you are and what you need to loose more…..

JJ likes this.
  17. This is key and so true.

Even when "dieting" or being mindful of your caloric intake, it's key to continue to eat things you enjoy, but just less of it.

Your body is an amazing machine, and will strive to maintain homeostasis, despite your best efforts.

So even if your TDEE is something in the range of 3000 kcal, and you "diet" for 6 days at 2500 kcal, thus giving yourself an additional 3000 kcal deficit on the 7th day, you could "cheat" on the 7th day by eating only (for example) 5000 kcal, thus putting you in a 1000 kcal deficit for the week, but is this really the most optimal way of doing things?

You're essentially suffering 6 out of the 7 days.

Instead of "dieting" for 6 days and cheating 1 day, why not just eat what you like for all 7 days of the week but just be mindful of how much you are eating of the foods you do like. Say, you like, burgers. Your TDEE is still 3000 kcal, and instead of consuming only 2500 kcals for six days, why not just eat 3/4 of the burger and consume only 28000-2850 kcal for 7 days, resulting in a similar ~1000 kcal deficit for the week. But in this scenario you are not suffering for 6 days, instead you still get to enjoy the food you like, but just less of it.

TL;DR make changes that are sustainable, not those that are fashionable.

JJ and Skidkid like this.
  18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is the strategy for losing weight. If you are cutting for a show, it my not be optimal. Then again, most aren't doing that. so all good.

Scott98 and JJ like this.
  19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I haven't posted here in a while. OK, I have been slacking a bit. So, here is a little something for the thread.

Chest earlier this week; not an arm day so not too pumped up. I was sending those 100s on the floor for 6.
    Later in the week sent skull crushers at 115x5. I will take that as a win.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks @Scott98 I am 62 in July and all natural. I am 6'6" tall and about 190 lb. Yes, that is my every day weight ( no cutting). I haven't had my body fat measured but my scale (likely not correct) says it is around 7%. If I had to guess I would say 10% but that is only a guess unless I get it measured properly. I typically lift 4 days per week, plus or minus depending on vacation, etc.; I hit the gym with my trainer over 150 days last year so that jives. This build has been a 4+ year adventure and I have enjoyed shaming the 20-somethings in the gym. Before that, I had put myself on a diet and dropped 50 lb that had gathered during travel & work so I was starting from near scratch. OK, I have an athletic build and I have lifted before so it wasn't a start from zero but I was VERY far out of shape. Once you start exercising, you are likely to continue and that makes your life that much better.

Looking forward to some pics of your results.

JJ, Maximus1973 and Thecadster like this.
  21. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That’s really impressive. I’m a couple months shy of 47 and have been at it a little over a year. I will definitely keep it up to a certain extent. I’m an ectomorph so building lots of muscle does not come easily. Right now, I’m just trying to stay focused on the competition and not think about anything else!

Maximus1973 and Skidkid like this.
  22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You got this; I am 100% confident. Sure, different builds have different looks. I will never have the build of my trainer or many of the others in the gym. I am just not built that way and I am ok with that.

I push against myself (my best), not what others do. My PR on skull crush is 135 and I probably have more but it is very risky on the elbows so no more for now. By contrast, my PR on deadlift is only 275. While respectable for a tall guy, that isn't a fantastic number. The real difference is that most stop when it gets tough, the last rep (maybe two). I always go for one last rep, even if I may not make it. I don't give up, I push to win that rep. AND, if I miss, my trainer will help complete the rep and I do a negative. The gains are won on the last rep; everything before that is warmup for the win.

Maximus1973 and Scott98 like this.
  23. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I’m the same way when it comes to pushing myself in the gym. When it starts to burn is when you start making the gains. I love being in the gym. I love working out and pushing myself as hard as I can. So many people aren’t like that - which is ok; it’s not for everyone.

Maximus1973 and Skidkid like this.
  24. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Yup oh so true.

Problem with the general public is that the majority of people have no idea what their maintenance calories are. In fact, 99% of non lifters have no idea what they actually eat; everyone grossly underestimates what they actually eat. Most tend to quickly forget that 'extra burrito' or few cookies with that coffee break.

It's the reason why fasting has become so popular or previously Atkins/low carb. It tells you what / when to eat; eliminating most thinking/guess work.

How many people ask the same question: "what's the best (read: easiest) way to loose fat?"
    it's not sexy/doesn't sell any magazine'to say "simply track your calories and make a few adjustments".
    But in reality that is the case.

Everyone is searching the miracle pill / diet that works.
    No one wants to hear "you need to put some effort in".

In fact, the recent diet pills that were supposedly the new miracle weightloss pills, all tend to fail (GLP1).
    (Too much muscle was lost as well as fat.)

So whenever some one that's isn't really into fitness asks me "how do I loose weight", I generally tell them to either do Intermitted fasting or low carb as those are easy to understand and follow.

JJ likes this.
  25. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    And only a 4 year progress.
    In lifting terms; you're not even advanced but still an intermediate. Which means "good for you, you still haven't hit your ceiling yet"!
    More good times ahead.