599 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement | FerrariChat

599 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Discussion in '612/599' started by ViperGTS, Mar 18, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Karting

Jan 24, 2023
    Full Name:
    Konrad A
    I am going to tackle the valve cover gasket replacement on my 2007 599 GTB (two valve covers gaskets, 12 spark plug gaskets)
    "While I am there" items:
    - Intake manifold will be taken off, I will also be replacing all the intake manifold gaskets (all 8 of them)
    - I will be replacing one time use intake manifold clamps with reusable clamps.
    - I will be cleaning the MAF sensor and the intake manifolds as the one side has some oil residue (probably caused by overfilling the oil on the last oil change but who knows).
    - New spark plugs (12xPMR8B)

I am using the workshop manual for guidance and a couple of you tube videos for background.

Questions for the experts and those who perform this service themselves:
    - Anything else I am missing?
    - Any tips / special tools that would help?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
  3. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Karting

Jan 24, 2023
    Full Name:
    Konrad A
    Thank you Sam! I will add that to the list. The oil change was done at a Maserati dealer by the prior owner shortly before selling it to me. They should have known....

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    #4 Skidkid, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    Easy to say but do you know how to properly check the oil? It is very fiddly in the 599. Definitely NOT obvious.

Let me help those that do not know:

Engine at temp
    Run at 4500 RPM for 1 min
    Idle for 2 min (NO longer than 3 min before the check)
    Check oil - NOTE: do not turn engine off

They recommend a second check to confirm. If you checked at say 2 min 30 sec, you should do the second check at that time lag as well.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  5. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Karting

Jan 24, 2023
    Full Name:
    Konrad A
    It is simple if you just follow the owner's manual. I had to remove 1200ml!

Skidkid likes this.
  6. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Doing the oil level check on a 599 in a typical german bourgeois residental zone does not work.
    When starting the 2nd check the police (which was called by neighbours) will arrest you due to noise diturbance.
    ;)

Daniel

Skidkid and Rex71 like this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Same happened to me. I suspect almost every 599 in existence has been over filled at least once.

8. Onzeeoffensive

BANNED

Feb 21, 2023
    Full Name:
    Derek
    If you're doing the intake gaskets, and taking the valve covers off, and not planning on changing the clutch for a long while...
    Then you should consider replacing the small coolant hose in the rear of the motor.
    Particularly if it hasn't been changed yet, or if you have no idea what its age is.
    Part #: 235080.

9. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Oil was seeping through the wire harness on the variator solenoids onto the valve covers of my 2009 599. Not a lot but enough to be annoying. Take a close look at the harness for any oil seepage.

10. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Karting

Jan 24, 2023
    Full Name:
    Konrad A
    Excellent feedback thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I heard from a dealer mechanic that there is a bulletin on a solenoid oil leakage fix. I think that he said the bulletin fix is to insert some (type?) grease into the connectors to prevent oil from migrating into the harness. Does anyone know if this would be a fix for leaking solenoids? I need to check both of my cars for this problem and would like to disturb the connectors only once.

12. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Karting

Jan 24, 2023
    Full Name:
    Konrad A
    I have seen (don't remember where) folks applying sealant to the solenoids to slow down or prevent leaks through the device.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It might. That mostly depends on the type of grease, pressure, and temp in that area. They do use a grease in the electrical connectors. That will keep out water and mitigate against the oil migrating into the connectors.

14. Onzeeoffensive

BANNED

Feb 21, 2023
    Full Name:
    Derek
    There's no TSB from Ferrari on the 599 solenoids for this.

15. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    There is also a breather pipe at the rear of the engine, i think it may be titled " Vapour Pipe " on the diagram, check this pipe and associated jubilee clips. This pipe was leaking on my 599 a month after i purchased the car, oil seeps out and drips onto the manifolds, this makes you think the valve cover gaskets have gone at the rear of the engine.

16. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    Thanks for your knowledgeable answers! I plan to take a close look at all of these things. I know my 599 has not had valve cover gaskets etc... replaced. I will research grease and fill the solenoid connector cups. I have not pulled the connectors apart yet but I believe preventative action should be taken even if there is no oil in the connectors. My 07 430 connectors were dry when I looked a few months ago.

17. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Karting

Jan 24, 2023
    Full Name:
    Konrad A
    This job would be a lot easier if I had figured out the best way to loosen and tighten that one bolt in the back bottom corner of bank 1. I seriously spent over 2 hours just to get it out. Had to fabricate a short socket but it worked. I am now in the reassembly process. lots to reconnect!

Skidkid likes this.
  18. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Check the crank sensors whilst you are in there, just had one of mine fail so worth doing whilst everything else is out !

19. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Karting

Jan 24, 2023
    Full Name:
    Konrad A
    Completed the job yesterday. Tedious but very rewarding as I had a chance to clean everything have the experience fully documented in a time lapse. A few tips I would share:
    - label everything and put hardware you remove in separate bags.
    - fabricate a tool to remove the pesky bolt on bank 1
    - removing the fuel rails makes the job easier.
    - use an engine support bar to move wiring out of the way if you do the job solo.
    - witness mark every bolt you torque to spec.
    - vacuum often, especially before lifting valve covers.

Happy to help anyone wanting to tackle this job themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ddrewesusa and George Vosburgh like this.
  20. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    Great work, Konrad!