456 price trends | Page 14 | FerrariChat

456 price trends

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ross, Jan 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It’s really all comical on BaT as anyone buying a car for even $20k without a PPI has the chance they will get to pay for additional education.

On my Popular hot rod magazine car #ProjectTalladega I was the knucklehead that didn’t do a PPI and got stuck with the hot potato….

Hopefully that kind of general dialog on potentially suspect cars continues and would incentivize people using that platform to bring “solid cars”.

It was such a gift finding the 550 I did locally and able to do the PPI and talk with the seller and mechanic while we were under the lift together - that’s WAY more valuable than most people appreciate if you are
    a “semi-normal money” kind of guy.

Mirek and G. Pepper like this.
  2. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Following for the comments only. A few f-chat references so far. Seller is taking a beating.

;)

steved033 likes this.
  3. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Listing mine soon. Circumstances have me heading back to Australia in the not too distant future, and a LHD Ferrari is not an entertaining proposition to bring back with me and then go through the hassle of registration, compliance, etc.

Hopefully by representing it honestly and setting reasonable expectations I can avoid the dumpster fire comments! Should be another data point for a 'driver' M GTA that has been thoroughly enjoyed. So glad to have ticked this off my bucket list of cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Never realized but the M looks really nice in black. I prefer the non-M and think the earlier cars do not wear it as well.

5. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Wow that BAT sale has really turned into a dumpster fire.

6. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Beautiful picture! Just think... whatever you do can't possibly be any worse than the current dumpster fire 456 auction.

Any effort is always reflected in how the dialog goes, as well as sales price

7. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @dr_rob I didn’t search historically for any specs or photos or mileage on yours….I keep telling my wife I will restrain myself from buying a 456 but you should refresh us….just in case ;-)

8. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I don't want to irritate the mods by making a proxy 'For Sale' post, but here are the specs:

1999 M GTA
    Nero/Tan
    30,600 miles as it is now
    VIN ZFFWP50A1X0112684

Cambelts and tensioners done in Jan 2020

Listing soon with Cars and Bids, as Doug is a friend of a friend and I have followed his exploits from way back when he had a Cadillac CTS-V.

jjmalez and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  9. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Geez, that might be before I used to chat with him on Oppo when he had the Lotus.

dr_rob likes this.
  10. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-ferrari-456-gt-28/

So the airlines had me overnight in FLL this week, I thought I would go check out the Green 456GT on BaT. Reached out to the seller and he agreed to meet me. Told him, i wasnt a bidder, just an enthusiast.

***respectfully ask this stays on THIS F-chat thread only***

Met the guy at a local dealer where he plans to leave it if doesnt sell. Seller was nice, older guy, surgeon. Self proclaimed not a car person and definitely not expecting the BaT hotseat. He certainly didnt do himself any favors prepping the car and he acknowledged that.

As for the car. Its a very Early 1995 US car, July 1994 build date. The car had no power, not sure if a dead battery or switch was off, so couldnt assess much. In the showroom, it wasnt in a position to take for a drive anyways.

His pictures were accurate, i though it actually showed better than the pics. Dash was pulling by the binnacle, and along airbag. Rear deck was starting to pull. Rear armrest was trashed. Otherwise leather has wear but was good. Body has some pronounced scratches and swirling, but no damage. Verde Inglese is not a wow color on that car (I say that as a Verde Mugello owner) spoiler was in the deployed position, didnt ask him about that. Windows were down, so i didnt see any window gaps. Seals looked in good condition. Trim around the rear glass has lots of bubbling paint (not uncommon). He took all sorts of crap for dirty Floor mats, yet when i pulled up those the original Floor mats and carpet underneath looks brand new, like it has never seen any wear or fade. Again, really poor presentation. Even his disassembled trunk (which i didnt open) was from having the bumper removed to be resprayed, yet couldn't get it back together for pictures?

The engine bay, sadly just wow. No prep. Owner didnt seem to even think that was a thing. Belts were done in '17 so i would think any new owner would just add a deep cleaning/painting to the engine bay and components whennthey do a service. Other than torn electrical boots. It was complete and didnt look missing anything.

I think i taught the owner more about his car in 20 minutes than he ever knew. The dealer listing was $115k.. he is dreaming at that price, but from other sales, a mid 70s sale price knowing it needs work as well as someone not necessarily wanting it all done at once would be fair. Ill may post something on BaT, just not sure what. Im not trying to be a hero or tank his listing.

11. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Great analysis. I think the only thing salvaging this is the owner count and mileage. Your run of the mill 6 owner 45k mile car would be a bloodbath. Frankly, I’m surprised it’s doing as well as it is, but it seems like there’s a small rebound in some car prices I’ve seen the last 2 weeks or so.

12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #HeroStatusAchieved

Your post is another example of what makes this forum amazing - thanks so much

Mirek likes this.
  13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The red 550 bounce this past week was silly.
    I’ve had a ton of personal time requirements but when I can I will update that red 550 on the 550/575 conversion bat thread

14. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Pretty strong result on the dark green one even if it didn't hit reserve. It should have sold. I wonder what it was reserved at.

15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It’s always interesting to see how people handle BaT. I know it’s possible to find “bigger money” outside BaT but…..

Not having a video or the ability to have @Aerosurfer start or drive the car didn’t help.

If it had been me, I would have lifted the reserve and let it go…..

16. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    What a frustrating trainwreck that green one was. I dont think you could try harder to do less, and he still had pretty good turnout pricewise.

Im still dumbfounded how someone can let these car go to the condition we see sometimes. Not because Im partial to 456 cars, but just a V12 Ferrari and original $200k sticker is mindblowing more care isnt put into it through its life. You would think its cheaper in the long run.

This guy had every opportunity to polish his turd, he showed no interest in doing more, and still claimed ignorance. I sold last year on BaT...they send plenty of info/reminders/suggestions to enhance your listing. Not even bothering to rephotograph the floors is pure laziness or apathy. Im glad i didnt get involved anymore with the dialog.

One thing though.. it does point out the market trends are still up. I bought mine for just a little more last year and at the time thought it was high retail. Now comparatively lesser cars are bringing those numbers and beyond! Its nice to see these getting "valued" by the market.

Mirek and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  17. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    The guy has no clue what’s involved to get a good price. No clue what the other cars going for over $100k had to do to get there. I can’t believe BAT accepted the car with an $80k+ reserve given the photos. I have very little to back this up other than suspicion but there’s been some indications they’re hurting for cars. Worse cars than a year ago with higher reserves, relisting cars that went RNM which was against policy since inception, more accident cars, just have some suspicions they’re fighting harder to box out the competition.

Ferrari55whoa and Mirek like this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It’s been fascinating what the market has done during COVID and what some would consider “post COVID”.

Real asset prices in many places continue to seem silly….regarding your comment about pricing since you bought….I think some of us lucked out given the current market but is it possible it won’t correct at least a little?

All day long I typically have my headset on while working, etc and listening to CNBC and the segment today on palm beach real estate and “mansion flipping” just blows me away.

There are apparently WAY more people with obscene levels of wealth than at least I have historically understood (or perhaps the spending has just been more conspicuous…,

19. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    It might be an early spring right now, but I mentioned values seem to be up the last couple weeks. The market has been headed down but 456’s seem like they always lag for 6 months compared to the mid-engined stuff. The other recent auctions seem to support the 456 market in a skid but hardly a free fall. Backed up further by cars like the black/black that was on C&B that still hasn’t sold 2 years later, and the black/tan that sold at Sothebys in Arizona last year for 122k after vig that the dealer can’t even get 109 for at this point.

Mirek likes this.
  20. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    #345 Mirek, Mar 4, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    I always come back to this particular car whenever I consider “well bought”.

Late 2003, perfect spec, low miles….pure theft. I wonder if the owner uses it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-456m-gta-2/

EDIT. I just noticed the last comment on the 2020 BAT listing and somebody was trying to track the current car/owner down a year after it sold. Looks like the BAT winner flipped it to a guy that reached out to him sooner though.

21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I remember that one as well. It would be too weird to have a Grigio Ingrid 550 and 456 ;-)

22. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Nahhh. Not weird, just some specific OCD attention to detail. Especially if you park the 456 on the left, so they are in Chronological model order ;)

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  23. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  24. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    What are peoples thoughts on a 6-speed 1995 Ferrari 456 with 168,000 miles? The car is in overall good condition. Paint and interior are very good with the exception of the typical shrinking leather on the dash and window seal issues. Switches also need to be worked on from normal usage. Owner has had the car for 10 years and is getting too old the drive a 6-speed especially with a bad knee and looking for something more modern with 2023 comfort and convenience features. He was going to trade it in for a Porsche but may consider selling it to me. I’m interested to hear from people about the value of a car like this.

25. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Man, I would just love to read the maintenance logs on a 456 operated for 168k miles.
    Bravo to the owner(s). That is impressive, a testament to their long term durability I suppose. Must be the record on a 456.

I do not know how to value it in todays market BUT the mileage proves it has been well maintained and that is worth something.