Mondial 3.2 fuse box | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 fuse box

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by aleib, Mar 21, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aleib

aleib Karting

Oct 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Alejandro Leib
    Yes yes yes... I know there are like 100 threads about this but I got a quotation of 1100 us$ exchange based for a new fuse box...

I really see it complex but not that as an Eng cant face.... @afterburner made one of simple wires... I think I will go the same way, just replicate all connectivity and make a new board without PCB

this is after 30 mins ride all ligths off, and the second one with the short ones.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan likes this.
  2. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Great idea, thermal imaging!
    Great about creating your own new board and hard wiring it all. (I want one -- see below)

I bought one of the "real-wired" circuit boards from one of the regular posters on this forum from the EU. It is definitely a first class product, HOWEVER, I still have not mounted it because, due to my lack of purchase awareness, ALL 55+ wires to the 5 connectors on the board must be redone and re-soldered to fit the new blade connectors that come with the board -- not just the one offending terminal!
    Yah, this is a task for someone who is willing to sit for hours and hours labelling, removing, reorienting and resoldering all 5 connectors with their 10+ terminals each.
    It takes the dedication of someone who does not have anything else to do -- not 8 other project cars awaiting the same hours and hours of work.

Yah, it nags at me every day and has for over a year.
    Good luck with your progress and keep us updated -- send a pic of your finished product.

SUGGESTION! Make 2, 3, or 4 of those boards at the same time! You can sell the extras, and the amount of work required for one versus 4 is probably negligible compared to singularly making them one by one.

In fact, if you finish within a month or two, I WILL BUY ONE FROM YOU!! Let me know!

3. aleib

aleib Karting

Oct 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Alejandro Leib
    This is a PITA work, I won't do more than one for sure, but can share all the info, diagrama and the complete process so to make it a DYI project.... To start now... Where can I find males and female bosh conectores, but not the aerial, the ones to be in a PCB board ??? They have a diferent base/tail...

4. aleib

aleib Karting

Oct 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Alejandro Leib
    BTW i Will only replace the PCB, the case, all the rest, including all the conectors Will be reused

5. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I greatly admire anyone willing to jump in and solve the problem using their own talents and ingenuity, but I also have to place some value on my time left on the planet. The thousand dollar board I purchased literally took me about 15 minutes to swap out, and eliminated a host of electrical gremlins that these 4 decade old cars all suffer from.
    The mentioned 55 solder wire board is also a great product, but I knew that the process of dealing with all of those connections would leave my somewhat arthritic hands un-useable for weeks afterward. My cutting and crimping hand power also isn't what it used to be, and may have invited even more issues.
    The supplier of the 1K board is also great at standing behind their product. When I had a loose connection on one of the relay plug ins, they swapped out the entire board for me free of charge. There was really no evidence that the loose connection was a manufacturing error. It could have just as easily been me failing to line the darn thing up right when I swapped the relays. They fixed it no questions asked.
    It literally was the best thousand bucks I have spent on the car.
    Best of luck with your efforts. Once again, I admire your determination to solve a very prevalent problem.

6. aleib

aleib Karting

Oct 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Alejandro Leib
    Hey... Just realized i'm probable the first to do a flir thermal analisys of a working live board ... And i can actually check and confirm the real source of issues!

For example, what if the issue is only in 2/3 traces, and I just solder some additional wires in the back and heat is reduced?

I think some one did something like that (add wires), but without a thermal pic it's just an impression or feeling, but with hard evidence we can go deeper on this !

moysiuan likes this.
  7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Connectors you can get easily...but you have to buy 1.000 minimum of each connector. And there are 4 different connectors for each board. So you are going to end up with a bunch of un-used connectors.
    Also the PCB connectors you find on the market have solder pins that ar'nt long enough for the purpose, so you have to modify each of those connectors...

8. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    You don't need to beef up all traces. Just the current carrying traces from VBAT through the Relays. All relay control lines can be left alone.

9. aleib

aleib Karting

Oct 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Alejandro Leib
    yes, I saw that fuel pump is easy: KeyOn ---> Fuse --> Relay --> Out Pin

but for lights (the K realy) its different, it goes from KeyOff ---> Relay ---> Fuse --> Out Pin...

Relay and Fuse is inverted.... probably because different Fuses for each line of lights??

10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Relais are heating up only when in use...so for the radiator ventilators you can only see it when they are working, when the engine is hot.

11. aleib

aleib Karting

Oct 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Alejandro Leib
  12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Get a new board from GT parts, put in all new fuses and relays in it check for burnt connections on your W connector and the other one on the other end on the left I think it's usually the condenser fan fix the burnt connectors search for my post when I used to build the connector wire replacements spray the whole thing down with the Deoxit and any connections you can find
    Alden

13. Brooklands

Brooklands Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Love the thermal imaging. Really cool to see the glowing relays. Same applies to several other early 80’s Ferrari models.

A big part of the issue is the crappy little spring contacts inside the W connectors loosen up over time causing a voltage drop. The voltage drop ramps up the current through the HVAC fan, fuel pump, rad fans, and a/c fan circuits, causing burnt W plastic connectors, burnt wires, warped laminated pc boards, and dead relays. Eventually, all the soldered connections in the original laminated boards will expand, contract, and get moisture damage to the point that they delaminate, and fail. Deoxit, and contact cleaners will certainly help, but ultimately the spring connectors loose their tension and a voltage drop always occurs.

Replacing the weeny little spring connectors with proper spade connectors inside the W plugs for the four main high current loads can reduce the voltage drop and extend the life of existing boards, and ensure the replacement boards last. Guido’s boards already account for discarding theses crappy little connector clips.

Soldering in some proper female spade connectors inside the W connectors for the four fan/fuel pump circuits when replacing a $1,000 board is cheap, easy, and excellent insurance.