LM002, The Rambo Lambo | Page 3 | FerrariChat

LM002, The Rambo Lambo

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by EarlyCat, Jun 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I checked on it, and it does have a 5,7 liter V12 with 450 hp. The last 60 cars had this engine. This one is a 1993 model probably as it is registered December 1992. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

2. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    The last 60 cars were LM American spec, yes, but the engine was the same 5.2L. The brochure of this model was posted by EarlyCat in post #37 of this thread. Your pictures in post #49 look like the engine bay of every fuel injected LM002, no Diablo/5.7 liter was ever fitted from factory.

F456M likes this.
  3. tgc5874

tgc5874 Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    F456M likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not saying you are wrong but, I worked in a Lambo dealer when they were being built and worked on them regularly from the time they first came to the US. I have had one for 15 years or so and have tracked them for at least 10. I have a complete list of them by VIN. Some I have detailed info and some only a number.
    According to my records of the last 60 only about half were LM American and of the last 30 only a few were American. Not counting #301 the last 60 were built over a nearly 1 year period.

Do you have any proof in the form of verified VINs or factory documents? VINs are better because the factory has a long history of misstatements.

F456M and simpen like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They have the same distributor and distributor drive as a 5.7. They have the same induction system and a lot of other bits and pieces of the 5.7 but it is all bolted to a 5.2.

If you can provide actual proof of a 5.7 I'd sure like to see it. I own one and worked in a dealer working on them since the began building them and have never once seen anything showing any of them with anything but a 5.2.

7. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    The number 60 I quoted comes from said brochure, so it might have been more of an intention than a reality. I have also seen the number 48 used in auction info, but not sure where that number comes from

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #58 Rifledriver, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Be very careful what you quote. There is more disinformation out there about these than reality.

You did not quote the brochure. It said 60 were intended to be built, future tense. It did not say "The last 60 will be Americans. Lamborghini intended to do a lot of things and it never said the last 60. Near as I can tell the number 60 never happened and it for sure was not the last 60 which Lamborghini never claimed.
    Another wives tale begins.
    They did not have 7 liter engines, or even 5.7 liter engines, they did not have kevlar bullet proof, run flat tires. Just more disinformation from well meaning people just flat out making stuff up.

simpen and F456M like this.
  9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #59 F456M, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023

I apprechiate your input here. The owner of the car say it is a 5,7 l. Diablo engine (and he has three Diablos), so I took it for granted that this really was the case. But because of you telling me that they only came in 5,2 liter form, I raised the matter, as I don't want to spread false information. The owner has checked today, and you are 100% correct. The car has 5,2 l. displcement. It would be good to be able to change the previous posts, but this is not possible after twenty minutes since the replies are made. In my opinion, the engine that should have been fitted is the L902 9,3 liter. We have one in a boat I sold my friend and business partner. A fantastic engine. Sounds like a Diablo but alot more throathy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone and Boomhauer like this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No, the engine it should have had was diesel.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Interesting distributor drive on that engine. Murcruser is also interesting. I didn't know they were involved in the Lambo marine program..

F456M likes this.
  12. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I remember back in the Fall of 1988, I spotted both a black and a tan LM002 at Prestige Imports in Miami. That was the first and last time I've ever seen that brute in person.

F456M likes this.
  13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    EarlyCat likes this.
  14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mercruiser's biggest engine was the 575 hp. 8,9 liter at that time. The race engies from Keith Eickert, Hawk and Chief were much more powerful. Lambo did the 9,3 liter for normal pleasure boating, and needed a good drive line. So Mercruiser started advertizing the package with Speed Master IV surface stern drive and Velvet (Borg Warner) hydraulic transmission and the Lamborghini engine as a 630 hp. unit with a max rpm. range at 5.500 rpm. Don Johnson did a marathon race with them and won a record. This co-operation lasted only about a year, and the Lambo project was stopped. I have a feeling that this engine was so much better than their push rod V8s that they outperformed the V8s on reliability to a great extent. There was about 200 engines build for this purpous and these can be found still. But very hard to find. The race engines were normally 8,2 liters because that is the maximum displacement per side in Class 1 offshore boats. I really dig these engines. They run exceptionally smooth. You can put a coin on the flame arrestor and it stays up right. :) Diesel in a Lamborghini......?! NO. But for a military vehicle, yes.

simpen, tritone and tbakowsky like this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for that..

F456M likes this.
  16. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Are the Sand Lip tires still available? Anyone have any NOS?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am almost certain Pirelli discontinued those a very long time ago. A new design replaced them in the 90's. For a long time now Pirelli has had an exclusive contract with Lamborghini to sell the tires only to Lamborghini who distributes them to franchise Lamborghini dealers. They need to be ordered for an actual LM in need. I had a well placed contact at Pirelli a few years ago with contacts in that department but when new ownership came along he was a victim of the reorganization. Short version, Pirelli only makes a few once in a while and are only supposed to go to Lamborghini.
    Contact a dealer and see if Lamborghini happens to have any. Roy Cats gets them from time to time.

18. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    yes aware of this. never seen them reproduce the Sand Lip tires. They are a very different and fantastic look that IHMO is lost with the rounded version. Which was why my question was about this version

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. mrtiticus

mrtiticus Rookie

Dec 8, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Michael Joel
  20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Just curious, anyone here knows what the tow capacity is for the LMs? I know the LMs could be had with a tow hitch from the factory, and it would be fun to know how much it can legally tow. I have been hauling around big powerboats for twenty years and I know this isn't a substitute for a big diesel truck, but it sure could get the job dobe for 3-4 tons if there is not too much steep hills. Asking for a friend...

Attached Files:

Bas and Boomhauer like this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Dont forget, it has the same clutch as a Countach.

F456M likes this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I guess the low range is pretty low so pumlling a boat up a ramp is no problem...

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How about pulling it around town in traffic with a clutch designed for a 3000 lb car?

Have you ever changed a clutch in an LM? I told my wife when she got it we'll sell it before I ever change the clutch.

F456M, Boomhauer and EMILIO like this.
  25. What is the process? I had a 70 Land Rover. Had to pull half of the front interior out, stick a hoist inside & remove the trans out the passenger door.

islerodreaming and F456M like this.