LM002, The Rambo Lambo | Page 4 | FerrariChat

LM002, The Rambo Lambo

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by EarlyCat, Jun 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Remove nearly all the interior except headliner and door panels. Remove trans tunnel, with hoist through door transfer case and gear box. Not a single part is easy to do. Did it on a couple of customer vehicles at dealer. I will never do it again.

F456M and EarlyCat like this.
  2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I get your point. My trucks have all been automaticis. But they can fail too. The wear on the clutch is 99% when taking of from standstill. I quess it is impossible to shift from low range to hi range while the car is moving? When you pull a boat up a ramp, the boat is floating when you release the clutch, so when the low range is "low" and you have a powerful engine, it is possible to disengange the clutch "quickly" and apply some throttle. When the car is moving and starting to pull the boat put of the water, it becomes gradually more heavy to pull as the boat is laying onto the trailer and then you are already on 1500-2000 rpms. More than enough for a 5,2 liter engine to pull. Of course a bit depending on the degrees of the ramp. But to take off on a red light in an uphill will be much heavier than taking the boat up from the water. I report back if my buddy buys an LM. He is tempted... But we use my Chevrolet or his BMW X5 hybrid with a little 2,0 four cylinder + electric motor. I did not believe in that BMW, but it pulls over tons straight out of the water without the gas engine starting. Quite impressive. His previous car, a Tesla X was a beast. I was shocked by how well it pulled. Even steep long uphills with zero problems. But needed to re-charge quite alot earlier than without the boat of course. To use a LM would be more for the show factor of it. But the more I read about the LM and look at pictures, si am starting to really like that car. Too bad they are so expencive.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The boat motors were 8 or 9 liters 600 some horsepower and max 5500 rpm. Tells you all you need to know.
    Boats, trucks and airplanes need torque. Horsepower matters little. Its just the quoted number because people do not understand torque.

The LM has none. It has to be at 4000 or more rpm to do anything. When driving one you have to be on top of the RPM all the time. If you get down to below 3000 and need to accelerate it just isn't going to happen. It was a sports car engine and transmission designed as I said for a 3000 lb sports car, not a truck engine designed for a 6000 lb truck. It is a big reason it was a commercial failure and an engineering failure. It would be far better with a Cummins turbo diesel. The engine chosen was the worst possible choice but they needed an off the shelf piece for this project they never should have taken on to begin with.

The truck is an interesting oddity, it is not useful as a truck. I'd never dream of towing anything with it.

F456M likes this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is good to know that you still have one despite your dissatisfaction :)

Would be interesting to know if the marine engines could be possible to fit. It should have plenty of torque. Even from low rpms. To use this as a tow truck alot is out of the question, but would be fun in special events. What is red-line of an LM? Same as Countach? How is the ratio both in low and high range in 1st gear? (To start from standstill) I remember the Diablos are going fast even in 1st gear at idle.

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

6. rhyno

rhyno Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    rhyno likes this.
  8. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    #83 fiber308, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023

Attached Files:

BlueBiturbo, F456M, Boomhauer and 5 others like this.
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes, yours is well suited to the job. I met you and we talked and looked for a considerable time in the hotel parking lot in Monterey at the memorabilia event Monterey week a few years ago. Did you ever get more appropriate gearing in it?

10. Schwafu

Schwafu Karting

Feb 12, 2023
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Schwafu
    Whats the VIN of this car? Looks like a lot things has been updated!

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Schwafu likes this.
  12. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    Brian I haven't yet, it runs well on the freeway but the theoretical top end speed is still roughly the same as factory but we haven't tried yet, soon though!

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's pretty damn cool..

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is. He did a nicely done diesel conversion on it too.

It was a rescue dog before anyone feels offended by the modifications. It was missing a lot of stuff that would not have been easy to find so thanks to their efforts its still on the road.

fiber308, Boomhauer and tbakowsky like this.
  15. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #91 F456M, Apr 17, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
    Cool set-up... Is that one of those car trailers which can be lowered almost to the ground by relieving air pressure? Looks very good. What kind of diesel engine do you have in it?

17. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    Thanks! This trailer actually lowers off of cables, it works great just a little noisy. I have a mild built Cummins common rail engine in it.

Boomhauer and F456M like this.
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Can you link to the manufacturer? Or show how it works. My friend is looking for a trailer for transporting Diablos and other low cars.

19. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    Sure these guys are who makes it. I'm considering having a canvas top made for it to make it into an enclosed trailer to protect the car while I'm on the road but still be able to drive around with it open too.

https://www.futuratrailers.com/?utm_term=futura%20trailers&utm_campaign=Brand+Search+-+USA&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=2124229245&hsa_cam=17208424016&hsa_grp=134866291405&hsa_ad=596853294226&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-449088123786&hsa_kw=futura%20trailers&hsa_mt=p&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAjwov6hBhBsEiwAvrvN6JuHCBZiNUlnoWB8rhrOzGeqOXPPuulr7KOK635EwZycOUAMvtM1pxoCMJYQAvD_BwE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    One is a truck. The other is a mommy wagon.

Whenever I head anyone refer to it as an SUV I straighten them out. Its no more an SUV Than an H1.

BlueBiturbo and Boomhauer like this.
  21. Lobo7

Lobo7 Karting

F456M and Boomhauer like this.
  22. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The LM004 prototype was reported to have a Lamborghini Marine engine.
    Said to have been too heavy and and unreliable to go into production.
    Not sure about many details, but cooling a marine engine without an unlimited supply of cool water was not an easy engineering problem to overcome.

F456M likes this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Would have been a big issue in desert operations. I have seen H1s in the desert working hard with very little speed so big cooling reserve is a must.

F456M likes this.
  24. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Definitely.
    The weight would have been a huge issue in soft sand.
    The cooling issue would be disastrous in the desert, and a serious issue everywhere else. Even in the snow.

I'd have thought that 35+ years ago now, a performance vehicle company with its birth as a tractor manufacturer would have figured out a high torque route for the LM002. But their clients at the time expected a V-12, and here we are.

Still the COOLEST freaking vehicle on the planet, even if not the most practical despite the potential to be.

F456M and Spyder-Man like this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The electric fans pull so much air at their high speed they almost pull the truck.

Spyder-Man likes this.