BMW | FerrariChat

BMW

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Jan 21, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Might as well...

Sport - No thanks.

M - Mega no thanks.

Tour = No thanks. Why is everything black?

Roadster - The F900R has promise. I wish it looked like a motorcycle.

Heritage - Well, ah, I wouldn't kick the R18 Classic out of bed unless it ate crackers.

Adventure = Now, we're talking. I might be inclined to go with the 850 v the 1200. I like smaller bikes.

Urban Mobility - No thanks, I'll use Uber.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    F900R is a cool bike. A friend of mine just got one.

GS 850 and 750 are great as well. I like my 1200 but I can see the appeal of the smaller bikes as well.

What about the R nine T?

VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  3. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    And when are you going to do Triumph?

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks! I just need some better weather now, to ride them. Although the ride through California was fine, the ride from the Oregon border north was cold and wet.

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  9. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
  10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes. The more I've ridden it, the more I like it. And on a long trip, it really shines. Riding it to Starbucks and back, which is basically what I did with it for the first year of my ownership (don't judge me-- I had some logistical reasons why I couldn't stretch it's legs) is definitely not it's sweet spot, although it's not bad at that either.

I still haven't had it on dirt or gravel yet, but will probably do a bit of that this summer. I suspect I will prefer my Tiger for that sort of thing, but it's nice to know the GS can do it.

It's not perfect, but on the other hand I can't really think of anything I would change about it at this point. The guys I rode with both had 1250s, but I don't really see any big advantage. They got a tiny bit better gas mileage, but most of that may have been because I was the last guy and sometimes had to charge to keep up.

BoulderFCar and Texas Forever like this.
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I should add, I have big plans for the GS. Baja next winter, and then Alaska in a year or two. Then maybe the east coast.

Texas Forever and BoulderFCar like this.
  12. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McKeown
    Blue RT for me. Year will depend on where I'm at money wise when I can't hold out any longer. Maybe a decommissioned RT-P and I'll paint/refurb it. They are in constant stock at my local dealers.

Texas Forever and donv like this.
  13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A good friend of mine bought an old state police RT, and painted it. He used it as a commuter/leave at the airport bike for years, and I think was very happy with it.

14. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McKeown
    Bought this 2000 R1200C Stiletto (obliously it sat out back for a bit) and still kick myself for selling it. Great all around machine and I swear it ran better in rainly/crappy weather. Had barbacks and the long drag bar. Nowhere near as good as the gymkana guys, but I coulda got there with her.

Got a G310R in 2018 (gone now) as a goof and while the clutch was absolute isht (solved on the new ones) and taking it over 70 was sketchy, I relearned some critical handling skills. An elite MSF bike at best, but it was cheap and fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    For Alaska trip have good rain gear. The dry season in Alaska is the rainy season in BC. I really don't mind rain when dressed for it and visibility is OK. I don't think we had a dry day in BC. California was dry, Oregon was dry, Washington was mostly dry but BC had rain every day. BC did have the best roads though. And I thought most scenic.

16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I bought mine just because it fell into my lap and they're as common as anything in Asheville. It seems everyone other bike is a GS. I didn't expect much. Now, it's pretty much all I ride. It's so under stressed and still has plenty of power. Nothing dazzling but more than adequate. I trust it completely.
    I'm trying to figure out the tires. I just mounted some Michelin 90/10's. They're pretty much worthless off the road and roar above 70MPH on the highway. I wish I would have bought street tires. Really a good bike.