What should I check on mondial sat for over a decade? | FerrariChat

What should I check on mondial sat for over a decade?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Oliverrosewell, Mar 17, 2023.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oliverrosewell

Mar 17, 2023
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Oliver Rosewell
    Hi, this is my first post on here and my first time working on a ferrari/car this old. Some background, my step dad has a ferrari mondial cabriolet (3.2 from my research as there is no T or quatrovavloe badge). It has sat in his garage for over a decade and I want to know what things I should be checking before trying to start/drive the car. I have made a list of items I think will be good to check and things I'll need for those items (photo of list will be included). I want to know if there is anything else that I should be checking as I would love to get this car atleast running, if not as close to as new condition as possible. Since the car has sat for a long time rats or mice got in shown by poop, so ozone machine will be to sterilise interior. This will be started in step dads garage so hopefully not too many big things will be needed. Sorry for the verbal diarrhoea, but if anyone can lend me some help it would be much appreciated.
    Oliver
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Check Timing Belt should be plural, as there are two. If it was me, I would change those before trying to start it. At least pull the belt covers just to be sure the belts are intact and still timed. You can turn the engine by hand using the 36mm socket beforehand I suppose, but pull the plugs first, and at the first sign of any interference while turning, stop. Those valves can bend much easier than you would think.

3. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    additionally
    ... change the timing belts & tensioners...
    change the V-belts
    change the fuel filter
    change the clutch fluid
    change the refrigerant and dryer

Eddie.h likes this.
  4. Oliverrosewell

Mar 17, 2023
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Oliver Rosewell
    I asked my step dad and he has replaced the timing belts during ownership, but I'm not sure when that would of been done, atleast they aren't original belts

5. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    If it hasn’t run in a decade, it needs new ones. They degrade over time regardless of whether they are running or not.

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Check if the plunjer in the fuel distributor moves freely...

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Timing belts, remove plugs and drop some thin oil in the cylinders, leave overnight to soak. Turn by hand using socket on the crank bolt but be sure you turn in correct direction so you get the tension on the timing belts correct direction. Dont get that wrong. Clean fuel tanks out and check suction pipes to fuel pump so you do not draw in crap.

Eddie.h likes this.
  8. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
  9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Entire fuel system.

Eddie.h likes this.
  10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    After 10 years a main issue will be fuel potentially gumming up the fuel injection distributor.

When you drain the gas, you will see if things are gunky or not. If the gas comes out clear and clean, things might be ok.

Sometimes cars in dry storage this long can surprise and be in way better shape for the storage than one might expect. Let's be optimistic.

All fluids, belt/bearing change would be necessary. You might be ok with the belts for short time at low rpm to see if you can get the car started. But in these interference clearance engines, if the belt fails (probably because a bearing is seized, then the belt breaks), the pistons hit the valves. No one can responsibly tell you to take that risk, but like everything, and especially with old cars, sometimes you take some risks and hope for the best.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  11. Oliverrosewell

Mar 17, 2023
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Oliver Rosewell
    Just to double check the right way is clockwise on the crank bolt right?

12. Oliverrosewell

Mar 17, 2023
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Oliver Rosewell
  13. Oliverrosewell

Mar 17, 2023
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Oliver Rosewell
    I'll talk with my step dad, but I think the overwhelming response I'm getting is timing belt and fuel. so I will definitely thoroughly check and change those systems as needed.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Sold mine years ago so dont recall which way

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The old joke is you know it's empty if it stops leaking!

Eddie.h and afterburner like this.
  16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    or - as long as it leaks it's not empty!

Eddie.h and davem like this.
  17. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    See my post about servicing the fuse box, and every electrical connection you can find

18. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    djs308 likes this.
  19. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    All new modern Bosch relays fuses, clean it spray it with deoxit check for burnt circuits on the Debbie connector and I think it's a j connector on the left side I've said it all before but usually that's what can be wrong with our car is this all tracing the fuse box

20. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    W connection