What's For Dinner? | Page 902 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Nothing exciting these past two weeks. Last week was in the states, so chain restaurants like Olive Garden, Applebee's, and Chick-Fil-A. Pizza Sat and Sun. Pesto linguine Monday night. Fried chicken and macaroni salad last night.

Nigiri and sashimi combo is my go-to with a chopped scallop cone and two kinds of rolls.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  2. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Pizza delivery to our place in Rome (my wife is Italian). I ate too much ma vabbe; it was worth it.

Attached Files:

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    One last meal at Andreoli, this time at their once per week pizza night;

Spicy Calabrian
    Sausage and mushroom
    Margherita

All pretty good, but I still say go to Bianco for pizza in PHX.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Dane, Dai Baracca and NbyNW like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There must be some non-chain places where you are. Are you trapped in American suburbia?!?

Porterhouse. Salt only. Reverse sear. About two min per side using butter / olive oil mix. Then into the oven. I experimented with using our turkey rack to stand it up to slow it to cook more evenly without flipping. It came out perfectly done. Poor iPhone pics don't do it justice.

T

6. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    boostedt0y likes this.
  7. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Mostly chains in the small town our property is at. Most of the locally owned restaurants close early or are not that good and pricey.

Tonight is rib night with curly fries. Cheating on the fries and using frozen foods section Arby fries. They are good in the air fryer.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    They taste exactly the same.

max930 likes this.
  9. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    for sure! I typically will dry brine the steak over night on a wire rack. Pat down the steak until dry and sprinkle a little salt on both sides and place on the wire rack overnight. The air and salt will pull the moisture from the surface of the steak which helps generate the crust due to the dry surface of the steak.

I pull the steak 20 min before cook time. I find if you leave the steak out for a long time, the steak will start to sweat and the moisture makes it difficult to get a good crust.

On my wolf gas range, I set the temperature between med-high and medium and heat my cast iron for a few minutes. searing the steak at super high heat ends up burning the meat as the higher temperature doesn’t allow you enough time to build a thick crust.

when the pan is to temp, I cook the steak for 4 min each side. The crust should be formed across at least 60 percent of the surface at this point but the steak will not be up to temp at this point. I reduce the heat to medium and flip the steak every 1 min until up to temp. I target 125-128 deg F on my instant read thermometer. By the time I reach my target temp the crust should be fully formed.

the lower heat on the burner and longer cook time allow for the formation for the crust.

tomc, Raconteur and arizonaitalian like this.
  10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the detailed how to.

(what fat and how much…or do you cook it without any?)

boostedt0y likes this.
  11. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Since I’m cooking wagyu or dry aged prime, I don’t add any fat at all. In the below pic you can see how much fat is rendered.

if I’m cooking a non aged prime, I’ll put a little bit of neutral oil with a high smoke point like grape seed on the steak itself but I typically don’t add any other fat.

peterp, arizonaitalian and Raconteur like this.
  12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Woah! That’s really cool to see how much. I gotta up my beef game…

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    peterp, Dane, Raconteur and 3 others like this.
  14. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Bacon cheeseburgers made at home last night. Cheated on the patties. Used Kirkland Angus frozen patties. Was pretty good. As good as any fast food burger joint.

Raconteur and tomc like this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Our beef last night was from Costco too. Tri tip. Salt, pepper and garlic powder.
    Sear on the gasser.

Finish in 225 F oven until 138 F internal.

T

16. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Beautiful food from everyone. This is what I consider dooms day prepping, with style. Never surrender to the mundane. Tonight I'm cooking for wife and friends. I was going to try Paella but decided to hold off until I've done some test runs. Instead it will be a seafood soup with saffron, garlic, flakes of chili pepper, black pepper, salt, fresh Italian parsley, whole peeled Italian tomatoes, chopped onions, fresh halibut, clams, mussels, shrimp, calamari tentacles, and lobster tails. A tossed salad with apple, pear, beets, carrots and avocado in lemon and olive oil. Dessert is cheese cake and fresh strawberries dipped in dark bitter chocolate. Wine will be Trader Joe's bargain bordeaux in bistro jelly glasses. Coffee will be fresh roasted and ground Columbian followed by Sambuca. Taking pics as I cook it.

tomc, Raconteur and arizonaitalian like this.
  17. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Adding to the steak pics. Costco prime cut boneless prime rib. Cast iron pan seared on the grill. Garden chives with some potato and sour cream and butter :). Garlicky zucchini and yellow crooked neck squash.

NbyNW, Dane, boostedt0y and 2 others like this.
  18. Dr. E

Dr. E Rookie

Sep 8, 2019
  19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    NbyNW, tomc and boostedt0y like this.
  20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Bad news here…the Foodie Neighbors (tm) are moving to Arizona. Super bummed. One of our last meals together was grilled filet mignon for 3 of us and seared blackened ahi for my wife. Served with twice baked potatoes and salad and dessert (last two not pictured).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW, tomc, boostedt0y and 2 others like this.
  21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Bummer! They need food options closer than they have up there with you?? I think I'd have a hard time with not many options...hmm.

22. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    interestingly they virtually never eat out...they love cooking and take it pretty seriously, so the lack of restaurants here didn't enter their calculus...

Rather the longest, snowiest, coldest winter in recorded history here is what did them in!

We had snow on the ground from Nov 2 to May 2, it averaged 17F (24-hour average) from Dec 1 to April 1, and we got nearly 300 inches of snow at our house...all are far, far more wintery than typical. They were just not prepared for this and didn't have winter sports activities to keep them busy. They are "interesting"...they (attempted) to retire here from NC without ever spending any time here...now they are moving to within 10 miles of the Mexican border despite never having been there...we shall see if it sticks!

BrettC likes this.
  23. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    peterp and arizonaitalian like this.