Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 276 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Such heartache, eh !!

2. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Would more sponsors really be that important with a budget cap in place? I'm not sure anyone would jump ship with Hamilton to go to the dumpster fire that is Ferrari, but I suppose anything's possible.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Think about it logically.
    If Ferrari can attract plenty of sponsors, they will not only finance the whole F1 racing budget allowed, but also pay the drivers.
    Then the surplus is pure profit for Ferrari !! Ferrari is already receiving "seniority benefits" from Liberty.
    John Elkann is a businessman; when we think about F1 in terms of racing, he may well see it as a money-maker.

jpalmito and Giallo 550 like this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  5. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I don't really believe in being loyal to a team no matter what. A driver must do what is best for them to win races. But didn't Lewis say he was loyal to Mercedes and all that?

I fail to see how this would even be a consideration to Lewis, he always makes decisions to put himself in the best car. Unless he knows something we don't (flashback to late 2012 maybe?).

Sainz does have a contract with Ferrari through 2024. George Russell signed with Mercedes to be equal status as Lewis. Is Lewis running from George and thinks he can beat Sainz, or will get a #1 status contract once again?

A lot of half a$$ theories to throw around just to try and make sense of it.

Bas likes this.
  6. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    lol, good one... bargaining? I would think both teams would not want anything he has to offer, which is??

classic308 likes this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #6883 william, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
    Exactly my opinion. Teams aren't loyal to drivers anyway: they dump them when it suit them.
    That's why I don't think drivers should sign long term contracts (more than 2 years).
    A driver has to think about his career, and look out for the best car year after year.
    Look at Fangio, 5WDCs in 4 different teams; I call that being hard-nosed.

Temerian likes this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Toto Wolff responds to the latest Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari ‘rumour’
    Michelle Foster 4 hours ago

Toto Wolff has rubbished claims that Lewis Hamilton could join Ferrari on a £40 million-per-season deal with the Mercedes motorsport boss, saying “none of this is true”.

classic308 and jm2 like this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And if it's for Leclerc...Ferrari signing Lewis means they'd have to pay a hefty breach of contract fee as well. So to hire Lewis would cost them 80 million at least.

80 million...and what exactly does Ferrari gain? Complaints and still the same result, at best.

10. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    First time in my life I sincerely hope that Toto is speaking the truth.

Hawkeye, furoni, SS454 and 4 others like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I for one love to see Hamilton at Ferrari, but only if he plays tail gunner (Akin to Raikkonen during the Vet era). I think Hamilton is among the greatest, but his 'peak' is in the past Something I doubt he would be willing to do. So this is just positioning IMHO.

tifosi12 likes this.
  12. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Amen (to the half a$$ theories)!!
    I trust the British tabloid press as much as I trust the U.S. press...not at all.
    Everyone knows Ferrari is a second away from a dumpster fire at any time. If I'm Hamilton, I want NONE of that.

SS454, jm2 and william like this.
  13. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    First off, Lewis needs a car that's going to be superior right out of the box. He's always had that, and with the current Mercedes, he demonstrating that he's not too proficient in developing a mid-field contender. Seems the MB techs are the ones throwing all the tools at it. Second, Ferrari has yet to prove their organization structure competence. So ************ is nothing but noise.

Bas likes this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The only thing Hamilton atrcts are flyes....

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. With the budget cap, more sponsors aren't going to make the car any faster. And given Ferrari's massive budget anyways...Even less of an impact.

It's one thing for technical staff to follow Lewis to another team within the UK, it's a completely different aspect to move them across countries to a team which is notorious for sacking whoever they like based on which direction the wind blows. Housing, kids, schools, family...a whole lot of reasons why this is quite a hard move to make indeed.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Tail gunner for whom? Sainz? That's a #2 driver.

If anything it'd be the other way around, Sainz would be the tail gunner for Lewis.

But as I said, I think this is just Lewis using Ferrari leverage once again to get a better Merc deal. OTOH right now the Ferrari seems to be the better car, which is different from his contract negotiations in the past...

paulchua likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    We’ll said, tail gunner for Leclerc, assuming in this hypothetical Sainz goes.

18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Ferrari would only benefit if they had Hamilton. Hamilton is more successfull than any other Ferrari driver is history. I feel it is all talk and he will remain with Mercedes.

paulchua likes this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Lewis would tear-out what hair of his remains at Ferrari. He would lose his sh*t.

paulchua and Bas like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I seriously doubt that. Hamilton had his time and success, but this is now in the past.
    I would not see any benefit for him going to Ferrari at this point in his career.
    At the same time, Ferrari needs to look at improving his cars, before hoping to challenge for a title again.

21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I don't see a benifit to him going to Ferrari either. But as a driver of his accomplishments and experience, I wouldn't say there is no beneifit for a team to have him. Scumacher was not at peak when he went to Mercedes.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually Lewis to Ferrari would give him the warm cozy sentiment of having been part of the scuderia. It's a myth and one that many drivers have succumbed to and I get it. He wouldn't be getting much additional results, maybe the occasional win here and there but why not? He already achieved everything and the Merc still looks like mid field and his #2 is outpacing him.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't think Hamilton would have much support at Ferrari, among tifosi or in the Italian press.
    He would be like in a shooting gallery, and everyone of his moves would be analysed and criticised.
    Like @palmito noted before, Ferrari isn't ready for this kind of diversity.
    That's not the ideal recipe to obtain result, but an unsettling environment to end a career.
    Hamilton has been with Mercedes for all his career, why end it in the opposition just to tick a box?
    I hope, for both parties, that such a move never happend.

ktu and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It almost happened with Senna. It did happen with Alonso (who was much hated by the tifosi at the beginning) and it happened with Vettel. Just saying.