355 - 355 Spider Chasing down leak | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 355 Spider Chasing down leak

Discussion in '348/355' started by Johnnieblack115, Apr 23, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The pressure limiting device is the 2 inch section in the middle of that line. Some mechanical engineering type will have to tell you how that was designed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

WATSON likes this.
  2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't know that.

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  4. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    Just what I was looking for, anywhere good to find the e30 pump? I looked up LUK model VT652106326 but got nothing on google

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Have you validated its a PS leak? What color is fluid? The line you asked about terminates into a T that sits right under the fuel distribution block.. from there it splits to each air plenum.

There is a lot that could leak up there and drip travel down hoses.. get flung all over on belts etc.. I've seen a cam seal leak in this area that makes a large mess and gets it everywhere.

Like stated many of the PS hoses are hard or expensive to source to completely unavailable. You will have to get the cover off between the plenum boxes at a minimum to see under there. Likely get the coolant tank out of the way. It will be a time consuming exploratory surgery. Donyou habe the updated PS reservoir? If not nows a good time to get it if you are tearing into it. Be patient as you'll likely run into little odds and ends you may want to replace during reassembly and that will stall you while waiting for said parts.

cavlino likes this.
  6. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    Thanks for your thorough reply. I do have the updated PS reservoir and I’m confident the leak is PS as the fluid was maroon in color. I also topped of the reservoir and went for a drive only to end up with heavy steering and an empty reservoir. Looks like the cover between the two cylinder banks is east enough to remove. Where I run into issues is identifying which hose is which. I’ll know more as I continue to dissect tonight and tomorrow

7. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    That being said, it could be the cam seal or valve covers are also leaking as there is plenty of evidence of oil leaking although not egregious enough to effect the oil level in any meaningful way. Looks as though silicone seal was used at the last major in the gearbox case and oil sump. All that will need to be addressed at the engine out unless it’s something that’s about to grenade the car. I’m very much triaging the car now while trying to keep it roadworthy for the summer

cavlino likes this.
  8. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    hoses are obvious when you get an eye to them. 1 from reservoir goes to the pump. 1 from reservoir goes to a hard pipe towards front of car. There will be 1 pipe from pump to front of car. Hope it's the hose from the tank to the pump as I think that's the only one easy to get... or that it's a sloppy installed loose hose clamp. Good Luck!

9. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
  10. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
  11. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    that must have been a big mess ...

13. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
  14. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    cavlino likes this.
  15. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    Damn! So this was a “while you’re in there”

What headers do you have?

16. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I thought I had front engine seal leaks. It was that crack and the previous mechanic not tightening the hose clamp.

Lots of "while I was in there" on this one as I started on Feb 20 and finally ran the car this past Saturday.

Those are 12 year old Fabspeed headers.

cavlino likes this.
  17. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    Oh wow. Did you think the fluid was coolant?

How do you like the 4-1 sound of the fab speed? Does it really eliminate the F1 howl?

18. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    cavlino and Johnnieblack115 like this.
  19. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    I’m definitely fighting an oil leak from somewhere toward the firewall as well but I don’t mind managing it for driving season provided it’s not too egregious. Old Italian cars and oil leaks are like pb and chocolate right? the level stays for months so it appears to be an insidious leak.

Amazing cleaning or did you refinish the cam covers?

I’m curious to hear fabspeed headers with a capristo muffler.

The wannabe engineer in me wants to go for the superior efficiency (4-1) but I don’t want to sacrifice the character of the sound. Most sound clips online are from 10 years ago when nobody had respectable audio

20. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker

Pulled the cover off and loosened the reservoir bracket enough to pull it out a bit and get a quick look at things. I haven’t found any obvious gashes in the lines but there’s moisture all the way up to the nipples of the reservoir. This is the revised tank, have they been known to fail along the seam in the middle of the tank? The whole bottom half of the tank has a thin layer of fluid coating it and the hoses are wet where they meet the tank

21. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Those look fine.

The only only other places to check for hose clap leaks are the ones that attach to the pump and the one that attaches to the firewall.

Firewall is easy.

You can see the one from the tank to the pump if you pull the wheel and wheel liner.

If those are fine, then it is a pressure side leak and may be the line from the pump to the firewall.

In fact double check that that coupling is tight. 17mm wrench on the tube. 22mm wrench on the pipe / hose.

cavlino likes this.
  22. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    May not be your leak but those hoses aren't on far enough for my taste. Clamp may be on the barb. Agree check all the fittings. Between this and the brake line looks like an engine out reassembly in haste. Check everything and assume nothing.

cavlino likes this.
  23. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    That feeling has been starting to creep it’s way into my head. The brake line junction used Teflon tape on the threads! We’ll get her sorted, step by step

24. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Teflon :eek:. Scary.

25. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    I’m guessing this is where the high pressure line meets the firewall, next to the return line?