Dash Vinyl Removal | FerrariChat

Dash Vinyl Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mhampson, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mhampson

Mhampson Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Hampson
    I would like to remove the dashboard vinyl and replace it. What is the process? I have a cracked windshield too, so I'm thinking that removal of the windshield would be a huge help (maybe a requirement) before replacing the vinyl. I'm thinking the process is:

Remove vents
    Remove Instrument panel
    Remove other minor bits that I can't think of right now
    Remove windshield
    Pull off vinyl
    Clean surfaces
    New Vinyl on using 3M Super66 or equivilant spray adhesive.

Is that about it? I don't have to remove the dash entirely do I?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Michael Hampson
    Marietta, GA

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You don't tell us what kind/year car it is, and your profile doesn't list that info either...

3. Mhampson

Mhampson Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Hampson
    It is a '79 308GTS

Michael

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    You absolutely need to remove the dash form the car. The vinyl is secured by wrapping it under and glueing, it need to be out. So pop out the vents, remove the streering wheel, remove the instrument panel, remove a cover on the bottom of the steering colum, then the dash is held in by screws in the door jam area, but I don't recall how many, but I think it's just 1 per side. It's not that bad of a job...but looking at the wat the vinyl is pulled and streched to get it on, I took my dash to a shop once I had it out and let them do the vinyl. I was $500 for the dash, fuse cover, both arm rests, and the streeing colum cover.

5. Mhampson

Mhampson Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Hampson
    Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

Michael

6. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Hey Mk e, do you have any pictures of your dash restoration or perhaps any more details regarding safe removal? I have a '79 308GTB in need to dash refinishing or possibly, recovering. Any help you might offer is appreciated.

-rick / houston, tx

7. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    The correct vinyl is available from Ferrari, but you also need the padding underneath.

I'd take it to an Upholstery shop and let them do it as the corners around where instrument cluster are very hard to stretch and lay down smooth without a heat gun and without wrinkling it beyond use. They also have other vinyls of similar grain that do not gas off as bad fogging up the windshield.

d

If you do it yourself, use the better 3M "Super" Weatherstrip Adhesive (its a yellow spray and works waaaay better than the 66)

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Winshield Glass can stay in?

you're right about the heat gun....and the gassing!

That's why they make rainx anti fog!

9. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I was under the impression the windshield glass had to be removed. There was someone on here several years ago that started this process thinking he could get around the step of removing the windshield. I believe he discovered that there are clips that hold the dash in place that are also mounted under the windshield?

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    OK, it wasn't several years ago, at least not if you were thinking about my project ;) . Not sure if a 79 is the same but on my 78 I had to remove the windshield to get the dash out. There is a piece of flat trim that holds the front of the dash down to the structure underneath.

I tried to explain it to someone in this post... http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135372822&postcount=10 (please ingnore the optimistic comments about having everything back from the shop though. He still has parts.)