The Spotters Thread... | FerrariChat

The Spotters Thread...

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Rexcoltrain, Feb 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Been waiting for one these for a while...orange Gallardo in Hawaii Kai.

2. GallardoGuy

GallardoGuy Karting

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Collins, Colo
    #2 GallardoGuy, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
    Thank god. Umm, where do I begin?

Maui-

Red F430 Spider at Lahaina Cannery Mall
    Black Gallardo Coupe on Dairy RD. in front of King's Catherdral
    Titanium Elise in Lahaina
    60's Rolls Royce in Wailea
    Black Elise in Kihei
    Blue Maserati Spyder at Kahaumanu Mall
    Black 996 Turbo in downtown Wailuku
    White M6 Coupe in downtown Wailuku
    White Bentley Continental Flying Spur on South Kihei Road
    Blue Vanquish in Kaanapali
    Grey 996 Turbo in Lahaina
    Yellow Testarossa in Kahului
    Red 308 GTS in Kahului
    Yellow Maserati Spyder (old rental) in Iao Valley
    Yellow Diablo VT in Wailuku
    Frequently spotted the rental Maserati Gransport and Quattroporte all over the island

Oahu-

Yellow Elise at Circuit City
    Purple Phantom on South Beretania
    Blue Viper RT-10 at the Navy Exchange
    Silver Blue Maserati Coupe in front of the Hale Koa
    Black 997 Turbo on Ala Moana
    Black Gallardo Spyder on Ward near the Hospital
    Silver Viper SRT-10 Convertible in front of the Hale Koa
    Black Viper SRT-10 Convertible in Waikiki
    Red Elise in front of the Prince Hotel
    Silver Gransport in a hotel underground parking garage
    Siver Quattroporte at Sam Choy's
    Titanium F430 Coupe in front of Ala Moana Mall

I don't live in Hawaii anymore but that's just what I spotted over a year...

3. GuyRdo

GuyRdo Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    Are their any car clubs for exotics in HAwaii. Big Island?

4. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Just a few sightings......

Murci - Fed Auction
    Phantom - Fed Auction
    Murci Spider - Fed Auction
    F355 - Kalanianaole
    F360 - Kahala Mall
    CS - F-car Dealer
    F430 - Parking Garage
    Ford GT - Pali Hwy
    Superamerica - King St
    Diablo Replica - Matson loading dock
    328 - Kailua
    308 - On Base
    Scuderia - don't remember the street
    DB9 - car show
    Yellow 288 - Superferry
    Gallardo - Ford Island
    599 - H-1
    F360 Spider - Jamba Juice Kapolei
    F430 Spider - PF Chang's
    R8 - Parking lot
    Pantera - 13 turns
    612 Scag - Waikiki
    F550 - Side of H-1 with the hood up
    Enzo - Princeville

5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    There was a Mangusta in the Ward Center parking lot yesterday, Feb 21.

6. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Red Lamborghini Countach with white interior - Kauai this afternoon heading into Princeville....looked like a really nice example

7. blk

blk Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Blake
  8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    There have been a couple of hard working and dedicated British car fans that have put together an annual British Car Day at the Waikiki Shell, which is just outside the hotel strip of Waikiki. For years, there has been talk of doing a combined British and Italian event, but no one has ever stepped forward to shoulder the work and responsibility of doing the Italian side.

It would be very exciting to see a 250 California Spider here. I have not heard anything through the grapevine about such a car. On the one hand, it is a very small place and it would be hard for such a car to go un-noticed, but it is also true that there are many cars stashed away here that seldom see the light of day. There are two of the 250 California replicas here. I have heard from reliable people that a gentleman on Kauai has a real 250, but I was under the impression that it was an SWB and not a California Spider.

There is a Lusso here and there used to be a Lusso special (330 LMB look-alike) on the Big Island, but that car is now on the mainland.

9. blk

blk Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Probably was a replica then. As I was walking in I saw it leave a couple hundred feet away

10. Rexcoltrain

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    silver Murcie on King and a Noble, not sure which one.

11. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Was the Noble that you spotted silver? I know that there is a silver M400 here and was told by someone that they "thought" they saw another car in Kailua. I have not seen another.

The Noble is an interesting car. It is pretty nicely designed and the quality of the build is good, but there are still frustrating "kit car" aspects to it.

12. Rexcoltrain

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    The Noble was silver and it was coming from Kailua. I was three cars back and couldn't catch up to get a better look.

13. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I am a little embarrassed to post this. I am not sure if it was a 360 or a 430. It was maroon and a coupe, by the Hawaii Convention Center.

It was two lanes over, my passenger was talking, and the driver ahead was doing something dumb. Is that enough excuses? ;>)

14. SpinDoctor

SpinDoctor Rookie

May 28, 2008
    Hawaii Loa Ridge
    Full Name:
    AB
    as someone mentioned above, im glad theres atleast one enzo and one scud on oahu. ive lusted recently over two Challenges i saw, one in red and the other in navy blue. it would be a fantastic sunday afternoon if there was an official hawaii meet someday. too bad about the super ferry, it would be bigger with outer island cars included.

id like to share my spotting that i never forget to this day and i dont even know if the car is still here. i was on the bus coming from school in the early nineties and out from luxury motors on beretania comes out the most beautiful shiny NEW red Ferrari F40 i have ever seen...i'll never forget that F40. i couldnt believe it, art on wheels in the middle of afternoon traffic.

15. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Because tomorrow is going to be a nice day in Hawaii Nei I'll bet if you peek out your car window tomorrow at the right time, in the right place you may..... just may... see a group of exotic cars.

BTW, red Challenge (CS) I'm sorry to say is gone, Blue TdF is still here. Don't know about the F40, an F50 is a different story. Keep the passion!!

16. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I remember driving by the dealership and seeing the F40 sitting in the first lane of traffic with its nose pointing to the sidewalk. Four or five people with blocks of wood and planks were gathered around the car. Clearly, they were trying to get it into the driveway without scraping off any of the red.

When the car was sold new, there was an article in the local paper about the sale with a picture of the car. I think the sale price was given as 750K. I am certain that the original buyer has sold the car and I am almost certain that it has left the Islands.

I saw a Ford GT in Makiki today.

I also saw a Ford Model T in Manoa. A gentleman in his 80's restored the car from a very rusted hulk and a collection of parts. He did all the work himself and he uses the car as regular transport. He has kept it very original. He is even still using the original four separate buzz box coils. He has added "Rocky Mountain" brakes. He explained that it was a period add on and pretty essential for safety. The car originally has no front brakes at all and the rear wheels are braked by a single band brake on the driveshaft. Because of the differential action, if a rear axle breaks, one is left with no brakes at all. The Rocky Mountain brake kit adds a drum to each of the rear wheels.

Well, its not a Ferrari, but if exotic is "having the charm or fascination of the unfamiliar" I think the car qualifies.

17. wbc

wbc Karting

Sep 21, 2007
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Well, I guess all Ferraris are unique...but to join the Scuderia/CS discussion, there is currently a Nero Scuderia on Oahu and a Nero one on Maui. For a short time last Fall, there were three Stradales on Oahu, one in Rosso Scuderia, one Rosso Corsa and the other in TDF blue. The Rosso Scuderia car was subsequently shipped to California so I believe there are now only two. While on the subject, there are now two 599 GTBs on Oahu and, as of several months ago, the F50 still lives here. On the subject of Ford GTs, I know of two on Oahu - one of which carries the personalized license plate "F-Enzo". How rude! There was another GT here but it attempted a relationship with a freeway support pillar (concrete: 1, Ford: 0), was repaired, and is now in San Diego. Another not-so-garden-variety supercar on Oahu is a dark gray Lamborghini Superleggera - only 172 built and a 530 hp "take it by the scruff of the neck" fun car to drive.

18. AlohaGT

AlohaGT Rookie

Oct 31, 2007
    #18 AlohaGT, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is my FGT (F ENZO) of which you speak and it is all in good fun. I drive with the F cars regularly (we had a drive just this past Sunday) and am a great admirer of same. In fact, my wife is in the market for a 612. I suggested her plate should read F HNRY.

This is my wife receiving last minute instructions before taking some high speed runs on Las Vegas Motor Speedway last October.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    #19 Grigio 512TR, Mar 27, 2009
    Haha, you're going to be pretty limited to what fits on Hawaii plates. Hey, who dis?

20. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    #20 Grigio 512TR, Mar 27, 2009
    Hmmmm, you might want to dial into the coconut wireless to get the scoops.....I spy a Silver CS last Sunday. Does that make three?

21. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    #21 Grigio 512TR, Mar 27, 2009
  22. GallardoGuy

GallardoGuy Karting

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Collins, Colo