Upgrade to 360 stock speakers | FerrariChat

Upgrade to 360 stock speakers

Discussion in '360/430' started by LeftCoaster, Feb 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LeftCoaster

LeftCoaster Rookie

Oct 31, 2015
    SoCal
    I appreciate most cars in their natural state (e.g. not a ton of mods) and one of the things I like about the 360 is its simplicity. So, when looking to get better sound in my Modena coupe, I wanted to keep the Becker head unit and ideally just do something with speakers. Found a couple of threads here with useful info, most referencing Focal speakers.

Couple of weekends ago decided to pull the panel off the door and see what we were dealing with.

In short, the door speaker is a simple 6-1/2" round cone speaker. After removing the lower door panel (all the screws are visible) it was easy to unscrew the speaker. The visible mesh cover is actually attached to the speaker vs the door panel. Once you remove the speakers you can pry the mesh cover off to reveal the stock speaker:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Now you have two choices:
    1) order stock replacement from Ricambi, dealer, etc (~$100)
    2) upgrade to an off-the-shelf 6-1/2" speaker that isn't too thick at the perimeter

While my local audio shop knew of the Focal, they recommended the Alpine R-S65 as strong alternative for this application:

I was able to attach the cover to the new speaker pretty easily (note there's a little plastic alignment pin you'll have to snap off the grill for the non-OEM speaker). Don't recall that there was much wiring work to do, maybe attach some pigtail connectors.

Following photo shows the original single cone vs. the Alpine upgrade on left:

Once the cover is in place screw the new speakers back into door then replace the door panel. Note that on mine the fit wasn't *perfect*, e.g. the door panel stuck out ~1/16" further than before due to thickness of the new speaker, but not even noticeable looking at the door. (The reason for this is that the plastic cover is sized to fit into a very slight recess on the factory speaker, which you can see in photo. The perimeter of the Alpine, by contrast, is flat so that added ~1/16" of thickness to the speaker assembly.)

Sound is 100% better, without any mods to the Becker head unit. New speakers are much more efficient so 30-40% volume improvement, which eliminated the need for any amps/etc.

I'm sure a full redesign with head-unit, crossover amps, subwoofer, etc would have been amazing BUT if you're looking for a simple $200 + 2 hrs DIY upgrade that pays big dividends, this is it.

Probably very similar for 430 but can't state directly; please post to confirm if you do same.

Should mention that I installed the Aux cord on the Becker unit a couple of years ago, so have flexibility to play from any mobile device -- just in case I can't find any of my cassettes! :D

Cheers --

Attached Files:

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing info.

There's been a few threads here about upgrading the stock stereo system.
    I've upgraded my stock stereo system on my previous 360 Spider, and also on my current F430 Spider.
    I've posted my DIY threads here somewhere.

Summary:
    Becker system, simply put is crap. $200 Pioneer or Alpine system sounds much much better.
    Becker Head unit is weak, amp has too much noise and distortion, speakers are dull sounding on low volume and harsh sounding when driven hard.

If people like to listen to a nice stereo system once in a while I highly encourage to upgrade their system.

Dan

psych0hans likes this.
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Great post. Was thinking of doing the same for my car. Just to improve it some for now. Not really sure I would get into a big time amp/system like in my other cars since that 3.6 behind my head is intoxicating at red line!

Good info and a now scheduled weekend DIY. thanks!

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Won't speakers rated at 100w blow, and become distorted, from being under powered?

5. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    No, just the opposite.

whatheheck likes this.
  6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is really good to hear. I heard this for home audio so I thought it was also true for cars.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Not true for home stereo either. A whimpy amp trying to drive capable speakers will usually result in crappy sound quality. However with that said, cranking a ton of distortion from a lousy "unclean" amp can also trash a good speaker.
    Most speakers are fused to prevent overload. Underload is not a problem in regards to speaker failure.
    I've blown a few speakers in my time when I was too stupid to fuse them.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You could overdrive a low power amp into heavy distortion and blow the speakers.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mikael-F360 and whatheheck like this.
  9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You beat me to it. WAY more speakers out there have been destroyed by too little power than by too much.

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You know what they say... great minds...LOL

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. lucky34

lucky34 Rookie

Feb 21, 2017
    honestly this has been my only gripe since I got my 360 last summer, and this seems like a great straightforward fix - I wanted to leave the car as stock (came with the TUBI full system from the factory so that doesn't count) and this is a great option for the stereo that doesn't get "blasted" - I'll have to get a set of these speakers this spring after the car comes out of hibernation :)

12. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Great write up and thanks for posting pics. Since the oem speaker is a mid with a separate tweet, I presume the signal to the mid is without the high end, the Alpines are full range, so is the tweet in the Alpine driven at all, or much ?

13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I was thinking this as well. I wonder if there’s a component version very similar to this ie. it coaxial with a similar fit?
    Looking for focal alternatives, that are frankly a little pricy for me, and I’m not sure i would fully appreciate. But ease of install in as non-invasive manner as possible is very important to me. I want to avoid hacking and also minimize the aftermarket look.
    I know someone in another thread put in Morel Maximos in their 430. Is the fit about the same for a 360?

14. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interested in a direct replacement for the stock tweeters. Prior owner installed MB Quart in doors but tweeters appear stock.

15. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    As a rule, you need more power available than your speakers can handle. Trying to get decibels from cranking a weak amp is a fool's game. Although the 100W Alpine speakers may sound better than the stock crap that Ferrari put in the 360, it's probably not materially better. 100W speakers need wattage to be driven properly. That head unit is probably 25-40W per channel max. That means it's meant to run at half that with acceptable distortion. Those crap stock speakers were matched to that crap stock head unit. If you want better sound, both need to be upgraded. Although you could add an amp to the head unit.

whatheheck and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  16. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I couldn't have said it any better.

17. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Does anyone know if the stock console between the seats for the upgrade will fit a 430 and 360?

18. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
  19. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OK, OK. I'll be the one to say it...

"You mean these things have speakers??"

Kevin

E60 M5 likes this.
  20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Am I the only one who thinks the stock modena stereo sound great?

I’m playing blue tooth from iPhone thru fm frequency.... sounds just fine to me.... maybe it’s the fact I listen to 60’s rock that was recorded 100% analog...

No techno here.

kes7u likes this.
  21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I agree. I use a wire from the headphone out, but it sounds good to me. Actually, surprisingly good! But I don't need much. I'm driving a freakin' Ferrari!!

Kevin

one4torque likes this.
  22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I grew up in 60’s muscle cars w a pair of pioneer 6x9’s.