348 with 6 speed gearbox | FerrariChat

348 with 6 speed gearbox

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Andy hls, Jan 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #1 Andy hls, Jan 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yep, it's offical. You rock!

3. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Nice! Tell us how it affected performance. Faster 0-60? Faster top end? Tell us more about it! Very cool!

4. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    It feels a lot faster thats all i can say for now as weather has been crap here,
    the 348s low end torque really suits the close ratio box,and the gear changes are so smooth, massive differance from 1st to 2nd,lighter clutch its win win win so far.

Andy.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Very Very cool!! Would it be possiable to take a pic of the mouting system you used for the trans?

6. Kurfus

Kurfus Rookie

Dec 31, 2003
    Wow, very nice !

From what model is the gearbox ? Faster aceleration but less top speed right ? ( who cares:-D )

7. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    I'll assume this is a transmission from a 355, right?
    Then here is my next question: What needs to be taken from
    the 355 to get the whole powertrain? Is the subframe highly modified?
    Or can the 348 subframe be used? So if I blew my 348 engine and want to upgrade to a 355 powertrain, is it enough to buy the engine with ecus, exhaust, what else do I need?

8. fmomen

fmomen Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    india
    Full Name:
    faisal
    Rock on!! Must be amazing. Also did you just spray the console silver, how was that done.

9. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #9 Andy hls, Jan 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gear box from 355,Should be faster acceleration because of the torque and higher top speed because of the gearing.

reinerkaiser
    The only mod to the subframe is the rear mounting, need to make brackets up,the whole gear linkage need to be custom made,and the exhaust needs to go over the drive shaft not under as the extra gear is in the way.,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Andy i need a ride in this m8 with the new mod's,just need to feel the difference m8,see you at silverstone Andy im sure in the summer,

Dale.

11. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    andy tha is so cool, come on over here to the states and fix my 348 up..

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Andy,

You got pics of that linkage? And...why not just use the whole 355 drivetrain?

13. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Its official - I gotta have one, too.

Nice work - console looks fantastic.

Cheers
    Kevin

14. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Andy

what the hell else you got loaded on that console - what are all those buttons about? Is that NOS?

15. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi Andy,

Wow!

Can you give a brief talk explaining this whole thing?

And would you mind giving a ballpark figure of the total cost of this job to you?

So, have you eliminated the "notchiness" of the 348 gearbox? Does this one shift as smoothly as an F355 now? I understand that the 348's is a cable-actuated gearbox, while the F355 gearbox is mechanical.

When I had the 348 at the shop and on the lift, the technician told me that a straight mechanical line could not run underneath the car from back to front, and so cables had to be used because of the design of the 348... so is your new 348 gearbox setup mechanical?

16. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    The other one is for the parachute :)

17. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Props to the mad Charlton man. This will mean nothing to our US brethren;) But some UK 360 CS owners are running for cover :D

18. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nice one Andy, Joe (360CS) mentioned this to me a few days back and I was suprised we hadn't seen some site traffic on it, now here it is out of the closet!

Mind you, from some of the rubbish I've read on this site in the past you would never believe the 348 had any gearbox/change mechanism design issues....yeh right!

19. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Andy, I 2nd Fatbillybob’s question regarding the shift linkage you used. I have been toying with the idea of installing the 355 shift mechanism in my 348 spider. Have not located a complete assembly cheap enough to try as of yet. Good winter project for me. Curious what you used. Regards, John.

20. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    John im pritty sure you will not be able to use the 355 linkage on your 348 it compleatly differant,thats why i did the whole gearbox.

Andy

21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    ANDY !!!!!!!! The ROCKS!!!

So the 355 trany just bolted right up the the 348 engine, right? Then all you had to do was some fabricating for the shift linkage, run the exhaust over the drive shaft, and make the mounting brackets? So how did you run the linkage? Did you drill a hole through the frame and kept the stock linkage, or did you make a new linkage peice to go around the bottom of the frame?

COME ON MAN SPILL THE BEANS!!!!!

22. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Ernie
    the gearbox bolted to the engine, but ferrari in the not so helpful way decided to move the bolt pattern,for no other reason that i can see but to stop you doing this,why?So you have to drill and tap your ouw bolt points,it worked fine,the linkage if you put a kink in it just about gets under the altonator and is tight to the frame,it can then run at over the the centre at an angle to get into the old linkage cover, you need to cut a slot in the cover, the gear stick holder was the only thing that bolted stright in, then you could do the centre console loads of differant ways, the way i went ment you needed a gate made with a longer throw because it was higher up the shaft,Paul Hill enginering made this for me,I have the reverse section of another gate bolted under the top one so the stop still works,Locating all the bits i needed was very hard.
    Labour was in the region of 80 hours and i did an extra 25 myself, but a lot of time was waisted on design, you could do it in half that time now with a car to copy.The exhaust was and still is the biggest problem i need to get another manifold made with more clearance over the drive shaft,its ok for the road but theres only 3/8 clearance so no good for the track.
    I would do it again no queation,after driving it its so much better and quicker.

Andy.

23. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    IIRC it was the lower 2 boltholes in sandwich plate that were different - the rest round the top mated up OK?

Paul

24. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Andy, I admit to finding this project extremely interesting. I rebuilt my gearbox a year ago, faulty premature bearing failure. At the time I discussed with another F’Chat member the possible installation of a 355 gearbox. Never pursued the project.
    You answered my questions regarding the 355 shift linkage, I had thought the assembly would simply bolt in place. Not the case.
    I am curious regarding the exhaust manifold problems you encountered. Do the 348 manifolds have inadequate clearance around the 355 halfshafts? This must have been an expensive hurdle to overcome!
    I am sure Paul Hill was a fantastic resource. I purchased his tensioner asemblies and seal set for my 348. Deffinitely superior to Ferrari OEM. Beautifully machined! Paul is currently helping my friend Verell with his 308 bolt problem.
    Very interesting project and Beautiful 348! John

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Ah ha! So that's why the alternator is on the other side of the engine on a 355.

Pictures man, pictures.