348 - 348/355/360 wheel offset | FerrariChat

348 348/355/360 wheel offset

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looking to see if my math and reference data is correct?

I think the 360 starfish or modular wheels look quite good on the 348 the issue is offset being too shallow makes it look like stick your metaphor here ___________. Lack of proper offset give it that "something ain't right" look that people describe. I do not believe it is the wheel design at all, I think it is the lack of machining that almost every example exhibits. I have read about people having machined them but I have yet to see one. Then people put too small a tire and stretch the side wall making it even worse. Done right I bet it is fantastic.

So I decided to do a quick math comparison and visualize it I think it's helpful to see it. For 360 wheels machining -13.9mm sets the offset the same as a 355. At that point the 355 & 360 machined wheels are actually 2.8mm wider than the 348 set up. So technically you could do 2.8mm more at 16.7mm machining and match the same fender spacing as the 348 wheels. Few options it seems so with rounding its 14-17mm as the window for machining depending in fender clearance desired.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    btw I REALLY like the 550 18" 5 spoke wheels I think they look made for the car but at 8.5 and 10.5 widths I think it's too much tire so I did not include those above.

3. Tommy J.

Tommy J. Karting

Apr 7, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tommy Songkran Johns
    I've just bought a set of F430 wheels. Needs machining at the rear (10" ET 39 rims) to fit the 348. Needs at least to be ET 50 if it's not going to hit on the outside. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent fra min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    May want to double check, those wheels have the same offset as the 360 the guide above should be valid, You can of course go wider but it may not look right.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    It depends on whether you have the earlier or later rear suspension. The earlier models had narrower rear wheel track which allows insertion of 25 mm spacers (recommended to improve high speed stability) which brings the factory rear wheel offset of 68 mm to effectively 43 mm. I have installed these spacers and, with 43 mm offset, the wheels still sit very well, i.e. practically look as if that is how they were originally designed (but I wouldn't go any further out).

The later models (I do not know from which VIN) already have wider rear wheel track (by about 50 mm, equivalent to 2 x 25 mm spacers), in which case you would need to have the wheel offset fairly close to 68 mm. If you have the earlier narrower rear wheel track, the ET39 rims will probably be o.k. without machining as that would be just 4 mm further out from what I have with 25 mm spacers.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #6 Ferrarium, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    I reserve the right to be corrected, I have looked at this quite a bit, below is my understanding,I am open to being corrected.

As far as I know the later 348's changes the wheel offset only. Yes pick up points changed but the track did not change as far as I know, the wheel offset did. It's the same control arms, hub and subframe, the new pickup points are higher, but its a bracket that bolts through to the subframe it did not push it out, just raised the location of the lower arm. https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348-1989-1992/rear-suspension-wishbones.html

There is different part numbers for the early vs later wheels. The difference is the wheel offset as adding 25 mm to the 89-92 gives you the same wheel spacing as the Spiders with the later wheels with the shallower offset (no spacers). Hence not needing spacers with 355 wheels with spiders but needing them with pre-spiders to get the same spacing. The diagram at the top shows 348 early vs later offset.

If you bolt those onto a 348 without machining they will stick out as the diagram shows.

If you do nothing and add no spacers the wheels WILL stick out like this.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And like this:

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    john a barnes and Tommy J. like this.
  9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I think you are right. I just found the info that the later rear wheel offset was 43.05 mm. The front wheels remained unchanged.

10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    As for the front wheels, there is a recommendation to add 15 mm spacers (changing the original offset from 49 to 34 mm) for better look. I initially installed these as well but you can see on the pics what happened to one of my wheel arches (twice) until I removed the front spacers. Exactly the same thing happened to another member here who tried 15 mm spacers at the front. So, be careful with the front offset.

11. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Well that clears things up for me. I thought (hoped) the hubs were actually wider on the later cars but never really saw a clear answer.

12. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Please let us know how this turns out and post pictures! I love this style wheel and think the double parallel spokes will look smashing with the side strakes. I think 19" will be too big for my tastes. I would love to see them mounted!

Tommy J. likes this.
  13. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    They, most likely are. Becouse i have 360 wheels and early type suspension/hub setup, no machining needed. But you cant run 360 tiresize

So whatever you do, measure things before machining

Surfari and Tommy J. like this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There are several pics with those wheel sit looks good. The one below was machines what looks like 15-17mm or so.
    [​IMG]

Early vs later 348 have the same track. The rim offset is different.
    Jessie 360 wheels fit yes but there is no way they tuck under correctly. If they are someone machined them. The hubs are the same.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  16. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Yes, im aware of that. But, hubs are not the same between early/late models. However, i have seen 360 wheels that dont fit correctly and i have seen 360 wheels that do fit nice without any machining so something else is a factor too, and my guess is that late models do have wider track with lower et wheels

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #17 Ferrarium, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Ok, fine, hubs changed yes but it was bearing carrier as far as I know not width (I could be wrong, don't think so though).

Jh348 post a picture of your wheels I'm wanting 360 wheels too.:)

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Loaded and Samir Goncalves like this.
  19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #19 Ferrarium, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Ok so those fit yes and black is fantastic. Track is different. If you like them that's great it's subjective tire size affects it too btw. Some people like the look and that great so no machining needed If that's the case.

I am not suggesting you need to machine them to MAKE them to work I am suggesting you need to machine them to get the same track as SS or spider or 355. But those in the picture do NOT have the the same track as 355 wheels do. And that's ok.

The btw 355 wheels will fit/look the same on any 348 year/model, as the offset difference in the 348's is built into the wheel, not the rear suspension/hub. With the SS you can read how they changed the wheel offset which is the same as the spider btw and that's how they changed the track. That's why there is different wheel part numbers. If the hubs changed size there would be 1 wheel offset.

The hubs ARE the same width. The diagrams are at the top there as data points. Machine or don't it's subjective the look that is. It all "works" depends what your after.

360/430 wheels take off 15-17 mm to mimick the 355 wheel track look on a 348. It's as simple as that. If not they will "fill" the fenders more and tire choice will affect the overall look as well. And that fine too.;)

20. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Yes, i get that. But its weird that i have seen 360 wheels that are miles out of arches

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    What is not clear is whether Ferrari, with the introduction of ET43 wheels instead of ET68 maintained the same protrusion (non-protrusion actually) of the rear wheels or whether this change brought the wheels out by 25 mm. If they decided to maintain the same non-protrusion as with the initial ET68 wheels, they must have reduced the track at the hubs for the ET43 wheels.

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The earlier wheels were inset due to 68 ET. The later change to 43 ET widened the track 25mm (pushed wheels out) That happend with the SS and the spider kept it. Documentation is clear it was done with offset changes. Hub changes for bearing carrier was done before that happend actually.

68 ET with 25mm spacers and 355 wheels = 43ET and no spacers and 345 wheels. Technically it's 2.5mm wider but close enough. Bolt up 360 wheels on and it will stick out. Tire size will mitigate it.

I have read out here people out 11mm spacers with 360 wheels. About an hour ago actually. Yeah that would really stick out. Some people like that. Maybe thinking muscle cars look good? Also a 265 tire would look WAY different than a 295 tire.

The 295 is within .1 348 tire OD and with no spacers and would appear to stick out way more than a 265/275 I see people use. 285 can be used also with different profile. Difference is +. 1 or -.1 relative to stock. Trick is to match the front tire to avoid chasis changes.

A picture from the rear of the car... that's where you really notice it different camera angles and tire size and obsscure it. From the back there is no mistaking it even with stretched sidewalls.

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ughhh mis-typed was multi tasking... Sorry.

[QUOTE="Ferrarium, post: 146619122, member: 219205"

1989-1992 348 with 25mm spacers and 355 wheels = 1993-1995 348 with 25mm spacers and 355 wheels. Technically 355 wheels are 2.5mm wider but close enough. Bolt up 360 wheels on and it will stick out. Tire size will mitigate it.

[/QUOTE]

24. Tommy J.

Tommy J. Karting

Apr 7, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tommy Songkran Johns
    Thanks. I'll have to try them on first. Tires are completely wrong, but at least I'll be able to see how the rim fits.

Sent fra min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

25. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Any idea re front tire size being run here?