LAMBORGHINI JALPA & V8 TECH THREAD | FerrariChat

LAMBORGHINI JALPA & V8 TECH THREAD

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by thecarreaper, Jan 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #1 thecarreaper, Jan 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    JALPA TECH THREAD

one of the many things i found fun when playing with my cars is what i call "THE HUNT". purchasing the car, take it apart, and figure out what parts came from what donor cars. then the challange is where to find the correct parts, but MUCH CHEAPER. i posted a bunch of info when i had my Ferrari's.i would like the opportunity to "give back" to the lamborghini community. i hope to make the hunt for parts easier and hopefully keep more of these cars on the road. i still have access to the Urraco , but it now belongs to member JFRAZAR since i have the 1985 Jalpa to play with. ( thanks fo the help JOE! i will add to this thread with updates and part numbers as i find them. if others have part numbers for the Urraco or Jalpa , feel free to post them to the thread.

COOL: A K&N FILTER FOR THE USA SPEC AIRBOX FOR THE JALPA:

part number is E-1420 it fits a domestic American V8 truck and most stores should have them around. in the pics you can see the filter with the correct Lamborghini "Torino A-204" filter. all you have to do is gently install the K&N, and tuck it under the lip of the airbox. the lid fits nice and tight, and i coated the seal mating suface with a SMALL amount of petroluem jelly to ensure a tight fit and make sure ( by looking at the foot print the jelly shows) that the filter fits correctly in the housing. i paid $55.00 for my filter at a local ADVANCE AUTOPARTS store.

next is the PUROLATOR L30054 oil filter, the only thing i DONT like about it, is i prefer filter in hard to reach locations ( under the car and not on top, like a 308) to have either the friction material on the sides to make them easier to grasp, or i prefer them to have the top that will take a filter "socket" so you know its tight, but not "too tight". i will look into other oil filters and update when i know something.

other than changing some fluids my Jalpa has been a blast to own. i have a few more part numbers to add when i finish verifying they will work without compromising safety or performance.

going to add some pics.

comments welcome.

Michael M. Jalpa*12250*
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    spark plugs :

NGK :
    B8EV (cold) B8EVX (platinum) BR8EV ( cold, resit. plug ) BR8EVX (plat, resit. plug)

Bosch -W235P21
    Autolite 4063 ( dont like them ...)
    Splitfire SF406C ( also dont like them )

dizzy cap :BOSCH 1 235 522 200
    rotor (bosch) 1 234 332 177

crosses as a Maserati V8 from the 1980's.

working on part numbers for tie rods, wheel bearings ( front and rear) and brakes. i think the brakes are 6 series BMW.

also i MUST mention this excellent site for Jalpa fans and owners :
    www.jalpa.ch

3. lambo1

lambo1 Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    If you ever need new door handles they are from a Fiat X19

4. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

cool !!! same one on the 308GT4!!

plugs in my Jalpa :

BERU ULTRAX UX56-R6-828 i dont know what the heck that means, ( never seen French plugs before!), but i am assuming a "6" is a hotter plug. my car has shaved heads, bronze valve guides Permatune ect ect.

going to try some NGK's, but want a similar "hot" plug.......BP6ES perhaps . ??comments?

5. AIR4C 1

AIR4C 1 Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    I had put new plugs in my car and since then have noticed a difference in sound and performance. I want to put hotter ones back in, but don't know the type in right now.
    Will check. The plugs do make a big difference.

6. rovingtravler

rovingtravler Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    Michael,

I am using the NGK BR8EIX plug, which is also what NGK recommends on their site. They have a great part finder that has almost all exotics in it incluyding the Countach and JALPA!

I am not sure if this is hotter or colder than the original plug.

Any ideas?

David
    FLA 411

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1401758

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

good to know, i am thinking the "R6" on the French plugs is the heat range. i used NGKBP6 AND 5 plugs in my 308's the 5's were a bit too hot and only good as a band aid for a too rich condition. my plugs in the jalpa looked great when i pulled them ( rear bank , the easy ones!) . i really doubt i will be able to find French Beru plugs anywhere easily. i think the urraco has new NGK'S in it. i need to ask Joe......

i really want those 5 hole wheels.........

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i could be wrong, but i am thinking the 8 is the heat range, and would be too cold by 2 steps if i am running strong on a "6" heat range. please keep in mind my car is not "stock" as a few things were done when the engine was rebuilt and the clutch ect was done.

also i think the EIX is irridium, which may affect the heat range.... !! ??

hell i have confused myself!!! :) time to do some looking.....

by the way, nice to see you here, and thanks for the email !!!

9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    front wheel bearings...... do you guys know what a pain in the a s s it is to get these number since lambo "blocked" them at SKF. geeze. thank me later.

front wheel bearings are SKF 615645A.

on to the tie rod ends.......

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    tie rods are FRAPP 511 crossed to an Alfa Spider. whole steering rack may be ALFA...... hmmmmmmm :)

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    replaced a dash light bulb today. Sylvania #2721 12v 1.2 watt work great.

feel like i am talking to myself in here. guess its time to stop.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    No way dude, great reference material here. This is the stuff that makes the forum valuable.

13. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    The paint in the last pic looks amazing! :) Congrats again.

Have you put the stock seats in her yet?

14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #14 thecarreaper, Jan 21, 2006
    thanks, i was just wondering if anybody cared, :)

i removed the sport seats and need to list them in the paper forsale. i think shipping will be expensive, so selling them on the net wont be worth it. i have been busy tearing out walls and helping a contractor build a laudryroom in the house.

i put the original seats in as i prefer the original look to the car. other than a different set of wheels, and airboxes, i wont change anything else on the car. they are too hard to sell if ya screw them all up. mine is rumored to be one of the nicest Jalpas around.....

15. rovingtravler

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    Mike,

Any information is great info. Make sure to send it to Raymond so he can update the cross reference page he has!

I think the Iridium plugs would be hot enough for you, but I am not positive.

Also make sure you are using the index_a access page to raymonds site. there is more info there for owners than to the public.

16. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

thanks, will do.

by the way, any 80's model VW passanger car alternator will work on the Jalpa. Bosch part number is 0 120 400 634 , NAPA part number 13-8299. must change pulley.

maybe i could do a tv show and just chop up cars and see where stuff comes from and how many cars share the same parts. :cool:

17. Ecnal

Ecnal Karting

Jun 28, 2004
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Ecnal
    Thanks for the posts! I always enjoy this kind of thread, even if I'm not lucky enough to have a Jalpa.

18. rovingtravler

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    Micheal

have you actually changed the ALT to a VW one?

The reason I ask is my mech tried multiple alts and could not get one to fit properly even using the old pulley.

Thanks,
    David

19. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

will post pics. i had mine rebuilt for $100.00 but the VW one i have in my parts pile is the same. will post some pics later when mine comes back. i noticed the guage was reading low with the lights on at night, i figured i may as well rebuild the alternator while i can " plan" a few days downtime.

20. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #21 thecarreaper, Jan 26, 2006
    my original alt. came back from the shop, i took a few pics of the VW one and its missing ( the VW one) one of the ears the Lambo one uses to mount. other than that (LOL) its the same case and casting. its very very close to the lambo one, but for $100. mine was rebuilt and a new fan added ( why my alternator was missing the fan i have no clue). i still think these came from another car and are not unique to lambo. it is cheaper to rebuild what came on the car unless something is broken. took some pics, will test drive the car again today.... been busy painting my new laundry room so i can wash clothes!

21. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Quick question. Could you just swap out the old casing piece with the extra ear (mounting bracket) to the new distributor?

22. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

yes, it seems so, the alternators come apart easily, but unless the case wa broken i dont see why someone would not just rebuild what was in the car. i was looking for alternatives in case i , or someone else needed a whole new unit and did not have one to build. i looked through some NAPA catalogs and a mid 80's VW jetta alternator may have all the lugs on it. the ancient dirty VW alt. i have came from a VW rabbit from the late 70's to early 80's.

car drove great today, even turned on the a/c ect to put a good load on the charging system, it worked perfect .

many thanks to Oscar at Italy Service in Las Vegas and to Gary Shaw (and his lovely wife!) for all the phone support. this car really rocks !!!

now i need a black Countach with gold wheels ... :)

23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #24 thecarreaper, Feb 27, 2006
  24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah